Hibs offer Ched Evans a contract

~~~

That Oldham are on the verge of signing a rapist out on license?

That's what it is, and you can't see why people don't agree with it?

Were you this outraged when Saints signed a player who was convicted of killing a father of five?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't really been following it too much, but I was having a look on the BBC website there and it's got a quote by the judge who passed sentencing:

CCTV footage shows, in my view, the extent of her intoxication when she stumbled into your friend. As the jury have found, she was in no condition to have sexual intercourse

Can someone who's been following it a bit more than me explain how Evans's mate was acquitted of rape, if that's the case?

I think there were two separate legal issues.

Firstly was the victim so intoxicated that she was incapable of giving consent?

And secondly, notwithstanding this, did the accused have a genuine belief that she was consenting?

Given that the girl seems to have invited herself to McDonald's Hotel Room, I assume that's why the jury gave him the benefit of any doubt.

That Oldham are on the verge of signing a rapist out on license?

That's what it is, and you can't see why people don't agree with it?

Plenty of convicted criminals get jobs while out on licence. It's not part of his licence conditions that he cannot take a job as a footballer, then the only argument is a moral one.

I know it's been covered over and over again but that's my take on it. He's been offered a job while out on licence like 1000s of others every year. The only difference is its a desirable job in which anyone who is employed automatically becomes a role-model to the masses (apparently). The decision is down to the club and Oldham have a history of doing this with Lee Hughes. I would agree that it's fair play to them for not bowing to the mob and allowing decisions to be made for them.

If Queens signed Ched Evans I would stop watching them. Absolutely vile. Someone mentioned that they'd have no problem if he was your plumber/whatever as he'd have no intent to re-offend etc, so? I wouldn't want a rapist in my home, regardless if he wanted to rape me or not. People defending him because thousands of males across the UK do similar and he was unlucky to be convicted? It's not as if that behaviour is acceptable regardless. He can carry on with his life, just not as a high-earning high-profile footballer.

I think there were two separate legal issues.

Firstly was the victim so intoxicated that she was incapable of giving consent?

And secondly, notwithstanding this, did the accused have a genuine belief that she was consenting?

Given that the girl seems to have invited herself to McDonald's Hotel Room, I assume that's why the jury gave him the benefit of any doubt.

But surely if she was "in no condition to have sexual intercourse" then that should have applied to both men, and not just one of them?

I haven't really been following it too much, but I was having a look on the BBC website there and it's got a quote by the judge who passed sentencing:

CCTV footage shows, in my view, the extent of her intoxication when she stumbled into your friend. As the jury have found, she was in no condition to have sexual intercourse

Can someone who's been following it a bit more than me explain how Evans's mate was acquitted of rape, if that's the case?

That's what I struggle to understand. The CCTV also shows, that she's perfectly capable of nipping back outside the hotel to collect the pizza she left on the wall. Also, it's literally minutes between them arriving and Ched. Whats happened in those few minutes that deem her capable of consenting to one party, but not another.

If one's getting convicted, then surely they both should have been.

But surely if she was "in no condition to have sexual intercourse" then that should have applied to both men, and not just one of them?

That's what I struggle to understand. The CCTV also shows, that she's perfectly capable of nipping back outside the hotel to collect the pizza she left on the wall. Also, it's literally minutes between them arriving and Ched. Whats happened in those few minutes that deem her capable of consenting to one party, but not another.

If one's getting convicted, then surely they both should have been.

Knock yourself out.

https://www.crimeline.info/case/r-v-ched-evans-chedwyn-evans

Seems like a knife edge case. I was initially puzzled by the verdicts as well, but reading the case notes you can, especially given the direction, understand why the jury reached the verdict it did. Possibly could have just as easy gone the other way but it should have been a life lesson in humility and not behaving like an utter creepy scumbag, which he sadly seems not to have learned.

Were you this outraged when Saints signed a player who was convicted of killing a father of five?

I wasn't happy at all.

Then again, I don't remember him and his family leading a victim blaming campaign against the family of the father, forcing them to flee their home more than once.

If Queens signed Ched Evans I would stop watching them. Absolutely vile. Someone mentioned that they'd have no problem if he was your plumber/whatever as he'd have no intent to re-offend etc, so? I wouldn't want a rapist in my home, regardless if he wanted to rape me or not. People defending him because thousands of males across the UK do similar and he was unlucky to be convicted? It's not as if that behaviour is acceptable regardless. He can carry on with his life, just not as a high-earning high-profile footballer.

Do you think her behaviour is acceptable?

Should there be a regulator as to what job people do when released from prison?

Its as if people are saying they're happy for him to re enter the work force but not to do a decent job, or for that matter the job he did before and for all i know the only job he has ever done?

Evans may well have been a scum bag before hand but 2 and a half years in prison could have turned his life around for all we know

Do you think her behaviour is acceptable?

She's not a convicted rapist out on licence. She has however had to change identity several times due to being abused by morons.

Why don't you start a thread about the victim, you've obviously got a huge chip on your shoulder over this.

Or go on that vile website to abuse her if you really feel the need to indulge.

She's not a convicted rapist out on licence. She has however had to change identity several times due to being abused by morons.

Why don't you start a thread about the victim, you've obviously got a huge chip on your shoulder over this.

Or go on that vile website to abuse her if you really feel the need to indulge.

I only asked a simple question - calm doon. Quite a jump you've made there from me asking a question to suggesting I abuse her online.

Using the excuse that he's a role model is pathetic.

If anyone comes to the conclusion that rape is acceptable because a famous person does it needs urgent psychological help.

If you stop Evans from doing the only job he can, then the same would need to apply to a plumber or a joiner under the same circumstances.

Archived