Hibs offer Ched Evans a contract

~~~

I don't think he should be allowed to play professional football.

Had he shown remorse, apologised to the victim or displayed any awareness of wrongdoing then I think having served his sentence he could have thought about playing football again.

Instead he has a website geared up to showing why it was the victim's fault and looking for sympathy.

That isn't a rehabilitated man.

He has a noisy bunch of moron fans championing a rapist that blames the victim, a girl that couldn't even spend Christmas with her own family because of the harassment she gets from these twats, and yet we are expected to feel sorry for him.

If a player boots the shite out of a referee he'll likely get a ban sine die but if he rapes a young girl it's ok, he's done his time.

Something not right there.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you're calling for an all out ban on convicted criminals in all of football? What level of football would you say is acceptable? Would it be acceptable for him to play for a conference North team where he is paid travel money too and from training as well as goal bonus? Or should be now be banned, out with any court ruling, from playing football at any level ever again?

No. I'm not saying that all criminals should be banned from football. I'm saying that, in my honest opinion, convicted rapists should be banned from football, as well as other criminals, but not all.

I agree with the earlier post that he can have a game of fives for all I care, but I think it's wrong that a convicted rapist is allowed to go back to the privileged lifestyle that modern-day footballers have. Has he even publicly apologised? Or promised to show rehabilitation? Or any sort of remorse whatsoever?

No. I'm not saying that all criminals should be banned from football. I'm saying that, in my honest opinion, convicted rapists should be banned from football, as well as other criminals, but not all.

I agree with the earlier post that he can have a game of fives for all I care, but I think it's wrong that a convicted rapist is allowed to go back to the privileged lifestyle that modern-day footballers have. Has he even publicly apologised? Or promised to show rehabilitation? Or any sort of remorse whatsoever?

It's also the case that there are grey areas and every case should be looked at individually.

Too many folk see things in black and white and want hard and fast rules for every eventuality. These types of things are always nuanced and complex. And society itself changes. As someone pointed out much earlier tony Adams got up to a lot of serious shit and went on to captain England. I don't think that would happen these days, and it's only been 20 years.

It's also the case that there are grey areas and every case should be looked at individually.

Too many folk see things in black and white and want hard and fast rules for every eventuality. These types of things are always nuanced and complex. And society itself changes. As someone pointed out much earlier tony Adams got up to a lot of serious shit and went on to captain England. I don't think that would happen these days, and it's only been 20 years.

I might be going off on a bit of a tangent here, but the role model argument is actually more valid than I first thought. How do you explain to your 6 year old son that you're a bit uneasy that his idol is a convicted rapist?

Oldham are taking a massive risk here, and it's one that I feel they may regret in a short time to come.

I'm sure there aren't many kids in the playgrounds of Greater Manchester pretending to be Dominic Poleon or Jonathon Forte when they score a goal. The likely hood is that they'll be pretending to be Ronaldo or Neymar. That won't change if Evans signs.

I can safely say nobody I have ever met used to run around pretending to be Neil Harris or Nathan Blake when they were 9 or 10.

I'm sure there aren't many kids in the playgrounds of Greater Manchester pretending to be Dominic Poleon or Jonathon Forte when they score a goal. The likely hood is that they'll be pretending to be Ronaldo or Neymar. That won't change if Evans signs.

I can safely say nobody I have ever met used to run around pretending to be Neil Harris or Nathan Blake when they were 9 or 10.

I think you're wrong, probably several young lads with shaved eye brows running around with Evans 9 on the back of their shirt now who after the half time hattrick will drag Daphne into the toilets.

Think of the children people

It's got nothing to do with him coming into contact with women. If he was deemed a risk he'd still be in jail.

apologies if i am mistaken but im sure in the other ched evans thread a lot of people were bringing up the fact as a footballers there would be woman he'd be in contact with

ive still to see evidence of the condemnation of Luke McCormick or Lee Hughes

If evans shouldnt be allowed to play football ever again, why were these two allowed to resume their careers,

Also why should evans not be allowed to play football, but f**k the other industries, they can have him, if he shouldnt be allowed to play football then shouldnt other industries be allowed to tell him to f**k off, if he got a job as a bricklayer would companies have every right to not employ the company he works for purely down to his past?

apologies if i am mistaken but im sure in the other ched evans thread a lot of people were bringing up the fact as a footballers there would be woman he'd be in contact with

I saw Someone on facebook earlier comment on a status about this saying 'any convinced rapist should never be allowed in a job where they may come into contact with the opposite sex. Paedophiles aren't allowed near children why should this be any different'

No, I said a employer has a responsibility of safety to it's employees.

I really don't know how much clearer I can be when i say he should not be allowed to work in the entertainment industry again, It's blindly obvious why this rapist out on license shouldn't be near a professional club again.

Correct me if I'm wrong but was there not a high profile case in Belgium a few year where a professional football who was convicted of rape not called up to the national side?

Can't remember the details exact, but some clubs may view that as the precedent.

He should've shied away from the game while appealing I believe, if sponsors are threatening to quit, what's to stop a player leaving based on a refusal to play alongside him.

ive still to see evidence of the condemnation of Luke McCormick or Lee Hughes

If evans shouldnt be allowed to play football ever again, why were these two allowed to resume their careers,

Also why should evans not be allowed to play football, but f**k the other industries, they can have him, if he shouldnt be allowed to play football then shouldnt other industries be allowed to tell him to f**k off, if he got a job as a bricklayer would companies have every right to not employ the company he works for purely down to his past?

Many job contracts will allow the company to terminate after a crime, especially of this nature.

There are also available rules regarding criminal convictions and employment. I don't know the details but it's clear that getting a job is not easy when you're a convicted criminal. Them's the breaks.

In relation to the other cases: there's no doubt that this case has garnered far more coverage than it should have. That's the nature of 24 hour rolling news and the developments in social media. It's grown arms and legs and Ched Evans can count himself unlucky that his case has blown up in a way that others have not (I don't know the details of the others, but as I mentioned before, each case should be looked at on am individual basis. Hard and fast rules don't suit stuff like this).

But that doesn't mean he should be given special treatment. Sometimes the mob with their pitchforks are right!

I saw Someone on facebook earlier comment on a status about this saying 'any convinced rapist should never be allowed in a job where they may come into contact with the opposite sex. Paedophiles aren't allowed near children why should this be any different'

Then take a mental note that the person who posted this is a moron, and move on.

The argument is not about him coming into contact with women.

Archived