Hibs offer Ched Evans a contract

~~~

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh dear.

Some of my best mothers are female.

Interesting you still haven't answered my question regarding your comment about her behaviour

Stop deflecting and just tell us.

The job and life of a professional footballer (yes, even League One in England) is a privileged one. Ched Evans is a convicted rapist, no matter what your views on the circumstances are, he was convicted of rape. I agree that he should be allowed his rehabilitation into society, which obviously includes working again, but he shouldn't have the privilege of being a footballer ever again.

To suggest that he can't possibly find a job in any other sector is ridiculous, he can find a job elsewhere. But he should never be allowed to kick a ball again IMO.

So how do you enforce this law then? Make sure there is a cap as to how well someone who is convicted of a crime does after release from prison?

Using the excuse that he's a role model is pathetic.

If anyone comes to the conclusion that rape is acceptable because a famous person does it needs urgent psychological help.

If you stop Evans from doing the only job he can, then the same would need to apply to a plumber or a joiner under the same circumstances.

'Only job he can', dearie me. And as I've said, if I was in the knowledge that a plumber or joiner was a rapist I would avoid them and contact another.

ETA: Not for fear of them raping me, but because they are utterly vile.

'Only job he can', dearie me. And as I've said, if I was in the knowledge that a plumber or joiner was a rapist I would avoid them and contact another.

I doubt they would openly advertise if they were

I doubt they would openly advertise if they were

That's why I said 'if I was in the knowledge'. My point is that he's saying we wouldn't feel the same outrage if it were a plumber or joiner. I certainly would, and I'd definitely make a point of not hiring them.

That's why I said 'if I was in the knowledge'. My point is that he's saying we wouldn't feel the same outrage if it were a plumber or joiner. I certainly would, and I'd definitely make a point of not hiring them.

Well i suppose thats just something people have to deal with and people have to live with the consequences of their actions, different people react differently and a large chunk of the population either don't care what people have done if it doesnt directly effect them and a lot of people believe in second chances.

At the end of the day it shouldn't really effect you if Evans plays for Oldham, would you be offended if someone you didn't know used said joiner/plumber racist for their building services? I would personally be more worried as to whether or not they were a cowboy tradesman or not

But surely if she was "in no condition to have sexual intercourse" then that should have applied to both men, and not just one of them?

My understanding is that even if the woman was actually too drunk to give her consent, it is still a valid defence for the accused if he had reasonable grounds to believe she had given her consent.

She had prior "interaction" with McDonald so the jury may have thought it reasonable for him to assume she was willing.

Whereas Evans simply turned up...

There could of course be an argument that McDonald was actually in a better position than Evans to judge how drunk the girl was.

The jury may not have considered the very fine legal distinctions involved and simply disapproved of Evans' behaviour.

what industry should he be allowed into, given that almost every industry contains female employees

Wait, you think it's entirely acceptable for a rapist out on license to be allowed to work in the entertainment industry?

So you want the life he has built to be destroyed. You want him to sell his house and car and take a job at £6.50 an hour. Not only that, you specifically want only him to be punished in this way and not any other criminals.

For someone I assume you've never met him you have a very high level of hatred for him. Would you only be happy if he were to die?

Bit melodramatic there, plenty of people in this country survive on the minimum wage. If anything has to "be destroyed" then I know firmly where'd I lay the blame.

The scenario you've described is probably one most sex offenders face I'd imagine and I'd feel the same way about any other sex offender attempting to return to an entertainment industry whilst under licence/ on probation.

I don't hate him at all, I just think it's apparent he's quite a horrible individual.

Well i suppose thats just something people have to deal with and people have to live with the consequences of their actions, different people react differently and a large chunk of the population either don't care what people have done if it doesnt directly effect them and a lot of people believe in second chances.

At the end of the day it shouldn't really effect you if Evans plays for Oldham, would you be offended if someone you didn't know used said joiner/plumber racist for their building services? I would personally be more worried as to whether or not they were a cowboy tradesman or not

It shouldn't affect me and it won't. I still find it appalling that a professional football club, that as Enrico has pointed out, is a segment of the entertainment industry should be employing a man found guilty of performing such a heinous crime. And yes I would be a little disgusted if folk were using these people for their building services, but I would have no way of knowing if these people that were hiring them were aware of their odious crimes so could not fix blame on them.

I'm all for second chances, but not for such repulsive acts as rape which takes a seriously twisted mentality, and especially not for a man that shows no remorse for what he has done.

One sponsor isn't happy

http://www.zenoffice.com/cms/viewarticle.aspx?ArticleID=161

ZenOffice have always believed that in order to be a successful business we need to give something back to the community. We have strong background in supporting local, community, family based initiatives in the North West.

ZenOffice have been sponsors of Oldham Athletic Football Club for five years. This partnership has been based on mutual respect as OAFC did share the same values as ZenOffice, based on family and community.

ZenOffice do not agree that the current path OAFC are embarking on espouses these values.

Therefore it is with much regret, that ZenOffice would like to confirm that we will end our association with Oldham Athletic Football Club if the move goes ahead to sign Ched Evans.

ZenOffice%20Stand%20Aerial%202.jpg

Im sure he probably was a horrible b*****d but 2.5 years in jail can change people for the better. Its not as if he just spent a weekend away that is serious time for anyone

He has shown absolutely no sign that he's changed since coming out. He believes he's innocent which is fair enough - but he's still currently serving his punishment for rape.

He has shown absolutely no sign that he's changed since coming out. He believes he's innocent which is fair enough - but he's still currently serving his punishment for rape.

Did you know him before his jail time?

He should be allowed to integrate into society but he shouldn't be allowed to play football?

:lol: nae bather, nutjob.

He can play fives with his pals all he likes. Folk have an issue with him being a professional footballer - a pretty privileged position in British society.

Archived