Hibs offer Ched Evans a contract

~~~

I think he should face facts that he's unlikely to get a club in the current status, stay out of the spotlight and let the apeals service deal with his appeal. If that's sccessful then he'll be able to continue, but really any club looking to sign him is going to face this inevitable backlash.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it were all down to me i would be happy for him to get a club and get on with his life but it doesnt seem likely, no club is going to want to be the club that takes him on after the backlash from other sets of supporters. Think he would get the same reaction at most Scottish clubs tbh but i would be surprised if teams up here aren't keeping an eye on his situation

I can appreciate that people think he should be able to get on with his creer, but ultimately he made the decisions that ended up with him in his current situation (which he still refuses to acknowledge). Any criminal conviction is likely to have long-standing repurcussions, particualrly to employment opportunities. That's just the world we live in. If a club wants to take a punt on hm, then that's their decision, but that is going to come with all the media scrutiny, PR and financial issues that such a high profile case bring with them.

I think most clubs would give him an offer based on his footballing abilities and how he would be used as a player its the fans and sponsors that are the problem and that will be what will cost him

I had a look at Oldham's FB page last night, and it looks like it would be suicidal for them to sign him going by the comments from the fans. They just about wore it when they signed Lee Hughes after he came out the pokey, but it looks like this would be a couple of steps too far.

This is going to be the ongoing issue if he attempts to continue his career anywhere - everyone more or less accepts the concept of rehabilitation and so on, but would you want him playing for your team?

The team he ends up with and their fans are going to get dog's abuse wherever they go from the moment he signs for one...

I find this attitude from the fans strange? You either don't want either or you accept both. Indeed I would imagine that most would argue Hughes' crime was worse certainly in it's impact.

I can appreciate that people think he should be able to get on with his creer, but ultimately he made the decisions that ended up with him in his current situation (which he still refuses to acknowledge).

Well not really, he clearly acknowledges having sex with the complainant, in the hotel, and pretty much all of the other decisions that led to that point. The issue is determined by a single decision made and whether sex was consensual or not; which being the rather central point of his appeal, is not going to be 'acknowledged' for the benefit of the media.

His case can be considered either convincing or unconvincing but this 'acknowledgement' business is a complete red herring.

I can appreciate that people think he should be able to get on with his creer, but ultimately he made the decisions that ended up with him in his current situation (which he still refuses to acknowledge). Any criminal conviction is likely to have long-standing repurcussions, particualrly to employment opportunities. That's just the world we live in. If a club wants to take a punt on hm, then that's their decision, but that is going to come with all the media scrutiny, PR and financial issues that such a high profile case bring with them.

I don't think he knowingly made a decision to rape someone. I think he's headed back for a threesome and had to pay a hefty price for it. In those circumstances I don't think many folk would acknowledge their guilt. I certainly wouldn't.

*waits for Enrico's outraged response*

Again, I go back to the court report and have to go with the decision made by the jury. If you're going to rock up at a hotel in the middle of the night and have sex with a drunk girl that you've never even spoken to, then there's every chance you're going to end up in jail. If she's been found incapable of consenting or not given it, then he's guilty.

Again, I go back to the court report and have to go with the decision made by the jury. If you're going to rock up at a hotel in the middle of the night and have sex with a drunk girl that you've never even spoken to, then there's every chance you're going to end up in jail.

Correct.

Again, I go back to the court report and have to go with the decision made by the jury. If you're going to rock up at a hotel in the middle of the night and have sex with a drunk girl that you've never even spoken to, then there's every chance you're going to end up in jail. If she's been found incapable of consenting or not given it, then he's guilty.

Exactly and Dee Man's counter that many folk wouldn't admit their guilt just suggests that loads of people are opportunistic creeps with worrying views.

I find this attitude from the fans strange? You either don't want either or you accept both. Indeed I would imagine that most would argue Hughes' crime was worse certainly in it's impact.

I don't think they were ecstatic about Hughes signing either, but reserved judgement a bit more for a couple of reasons.

Whether or not Hughes was genuinely remorseful after he served his time he at least made the right noises about being repentant for his crime, whereas Evans still seems to believe he's the unfortunate victim of a system that should allow him to pump sparko women whenever the mood takes him and to date hasn't shown any contrition for the consequences of his actions.

Moreover, conviction for any sex crime will always carry an additional stigma that non-sexual crime doesn't to anywhere near the same extent. Even in jail, there's a reason they're separated from the rest of the prison population...

Exactly and Dee Man's counter that many folk wouldn't admit their guilt just suggests that loads of people are opportunistic creeps with worrying views.

So he should be sent to jail for being an opportunistic creep? That's a new law to me.

Link?

At least Craig Thomson had the decenc...nah...the wherewithall to f**k off to Lithuania to continue his footballing career. Chedwyn is trying to come across as Mr Guy and the lassie he raped supposedly can't even return home for Christmas due to supposed threats from Evans supporters.

Evans support website sounds quite cringey with pictures of him with kids and puppies making him out to be the nice boy next door when he is in fact a rapist.

Down the road he has a right to work as a footballer but he is persona non grata for obvious reasons. He has a right to appeal but this will probably any chance of playing league football until the appeal has been heard when he is either confirmed as a rapist or just an opportunist who fucks teenage girls who are out their nut just after their team-mate has pumped them, which essentially is still pretty rapey.

Then he can either admit his guilt, apologise and get on with his life.

It sounds the victim hasn't had much of a life since this all happened so any sympathy I have in this sorry affair is for her and her family.

I wouldn't say that there's every chance of being convicted at all, actually - the conviction rate in rape cases is notoriously low. Indeed, Donaldson was cleared of the same charge despite rocking up at a hotel to have sex with the complainant, with a presumed degree of consent that seems only slightly more apparent than in the case of Evans. Establishing whether consent was actually given in such cases is far less straightforward than you present, which partly explains the low conviction rate.

The two page piece in The Sunday Times yesterday sets out the general events rather well, and while I think it's clear that Evans is a scumbag, there doesn't seem to be a decisive piece of evidence in favour of the jury's decision IMO.

I don't think he knowingly made a decision to rape someone. I think he's headed back for a threesome and had to pay a hefty price for it. In those circumstances I don't think many folk would acknowledge their guilt. I certainly wouldn't.

*waits for Enrico's outraged response*

Not many people would put themselves in the position of turning up at a hotel to have a threesome with a drunk female they'd never met before on the basis of a text from a mate, unless, of course, they were an opportunistic scumbag. That not many opportunistic scumbags would acknowledge their guilt in those circumstances is hardly surprising.

Archived