In 50 years

parsforlife

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something that occurred to me last night - will we see a change in the way teams are managed? A weak point in football at the moment is possibly a reliance on 1 man to be picking the team, motivating the players, making signings, and so on. And this leads to inordinate numbers of sackings every season, in likes of EPL & EFL.

Could we see a gradual move to 'corporate' decision making, by a group of people, perhaps even in team selection?

A selection committee if you will.
No, definitely not. That would just lead to unsuccessful teams sacking their selection bodies.

Something that occurred to me last night - will we see a change in the way teams are managed? A weak point in football at the moment is possibly a reliance on 1 man to be picking the team, motivating the players, making signings, and so on. And this leads to inordinate numbers of sackings every season, in likes of EPL & EFL.

Could we see a gradual move to 'corporate' decision making, by a group of people, perhaps even in team selection?

Was it not fairly common in the early days for teams to be picked by the club committee?

As a young guy in an area that hasn't always had football in their lives, the main issue Fanwise I see is that they will love the sport and love to play it, but the can't be bothered watching it as its too "boring".

So, I could see the matchday experience becoming more Americanized. The only reason people at Baseball games aren't falling asleep is the amount of interaction the club has with fans, with mini competitions, cheering challenges, etc.

Maybe not to that extent, but definatly I can see steps being made to make the whole matchday experience more enjoyable.

All players will be robots.

I do remember watching a program a few years ago that said, by around 2050-2060 they think a team of robots would be able to beat the world cup winners. Obviously even a well researched 50 year prediction can be way off the mark but it seems fairly possible in my eyes. Would robot football games overtake human football games in crowds? I'm not so sure..

continuing on the robot theme, sort of..... Something, which will most likely take much longer than 50 years is once a large percentage of jobs become automated you may begin to get into football for free and money wont become a deciding factor and everything will become a lot more fair and unpredictable which can only be good for the game.

Or that might just be a post scarcity society pipe dream that I have.

Was it not fairly common in the early days for teams to be picked by the club committee?

Most certainly, aye... although that would be like the Board of Directors picking it today. Scotland was still picked by 'Selection Committee' as late as 1957.

I was thinking along the lines of clubs having a team of people - coaches, psychologists, tacticians, etc. - superseding the role of 1 man.

Most certainly, aye... although that would be like the Board of Directors picking it today. Scotland was still picked by 'Selection Committee' as late as 1957.

I was thinking along the lines of clubs having a team of people - coaches, psychologists, tacticians, etc. - superseding the role of 1 man.

Its pretty much like that a few clubs anyway seemingly.

The idea of a European league was probably up there with flying cars and living on the moon in 1965, and despite the expanding of the CL no one has seriously acted upon anyone's desire for it. Which, imo, makes it probably the one thing left for football to do. The current formats are dated and largely predictable, domestic leagues are processions almost everywhere you look, and are in dire need of shake-ups. Running season-long midweek European divisions (including scrapping the Europa League) in tandem with regular seasons may assist in providing relevant challenges to dominant clubs in leagues like ours which are done around a month after the biggest club(s) exit Europe, as much as providing the big guns with their own playground.

didnt international teams have this back in the 60's and earlier?

Sin bins.

Two card system replaced with three card (perhaps related to sin bins).

One one-minute tactical timeout / water break per half or per team.

The 18 yard box replaced by a semi-circle for the sake of awarding penalties.

People of the time to dismiss c.2015 top players as unhealthy, unfit, slow.

I'd expect the organisational structure of the game to go through some significant changes, perhaps even up to regional (UEFA, ...) and FIFA level. One possible reason might be the collapse of money and interest in football.

Something I'm really interested to see is if genuinely new formations, tactics, positions/roles and styles will be developed, or whether we've been around the block and back already and there's only tinkering left.

• 6-2-2 with two offensive liberos?
  • The Dutch Total Football II?
  • 3-1-5 that employs three absolute ogreish giants in the front line with two nippy fuckers playing off them, and three athletes at the back?
  • 3-3-?-? where three nominal centre-backs and three nominal central midfielders are free to rotate?
  • High-intensity athletey players who spunk their load for the first 1/3 of a game, then swap with a player in a chiller position (e.g. nominal winger moves to central defence) who then spunks their own load?

Archived