The NHS...It's not all their fault!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been in hospital for the last couple of months. I've witnessed both staff and bed shortages. I had to wait 4 weeks to be transferred to Glasgow royal and last night there were 2 staff nurses for 32 patients. The care I've received has been good apart from the food but there is far too much pressure on the staff.

Smokers and fatties need to take some responsibility, imo. Think of the money the NHS could better channel into other areas if it didn't have to deal with medical problems that stem directly from cancer sticks and obesity.

Whenever I have used the health service though I always feel it's incredibly humbling, even if you do occasionally have to wait for a fair bit.

Smokers and fatties need to take some responsibility, imo. Think of the money the NHS could better channel into other areas if it didn't have to deal with medical problems that stem directly from cancer sticks and obesity.

Whenever I have used the health service though I always feel it's incredibly humbling, even if you do occasionally have to wait for a fair bit.

Smokers give more to the NHS than they take out

After I wrote off my car a few years ago the paramedics insisted they take me to the local A&E even though I said I felt fine. At the hospital they made a fuss about a wee graze on my head and put me in a cubicle to wait for a doctor. After a wee while I felt embarrassed sitting there while people with real problems were waiting on treatment so I left, against the advice of the staff.

Real men only use the NHS when they absolutely have to.

Yet again on the news this morning, the NHS comes under scrutiny and in my opinion, unfair criticism.

Budgets and staff have been cut, so less resources available, yet they're expected to maintain the same levels of service and care.

Add to this a large majority of the population who put extra strain on what resources are available ,with self inflicted illnesses due to, poor diet, smoking, excessive drinking, lack of exercise.

There also seem to be many people out there who are all to keen to turn up at A&E departments with what can be described at best as minor ailments.

I recently spent 4 hours in A&E with my son, who had a suspected broken ankle and was amazed to see others turn up with the likes of, a staved finger, a split nail, a sore spot on their neck and a sore head!.

It's time the general public started taking greater responsibility for their own health and well being, stop running to the doctor or hospital for such trivial matters and then maybe the NHS wouldn't be under so much pressure.

So what was actually wrong with him?

Do we have statistics for who is most likely to smoke and/or be fat ?

Blame the people who put such things as cancer sticks and processed food onto the market not the people it's being marketed to.

^^^ Overweight chain smoker.

I've been at A&E with a sore head. I was sent there by the doctor for a CT scan and a lumbar puncture to rule out a bleed. Sometimes they do need to be investigated.

Staved finger, I'll grant you.

The exact same happened to me. I had a banging sore head for 3 days that pills couldn't shift. Then on the 4th night I became violently sick. That's when I went to the Dr. He sent me up and I was admitted for the tests you mention.

I think if you take a chance with a headache you're not 'solid' or 'brave', you're f*cking stupid. You never know what it might be when it comes to a sore head.

^^^^ Fails to mention alcohol. Loves the bevvy! Alcohol is a far bigger problem.

I've been at A&E with a sore head. I was sent there by the doctor for a CT scan and a lumbar puncture to rule out a bleed. Sometimes they do need to be investigated.

Staved finger, I'll grant you.

It can also be a symptom of meningitis so definitely worth getting checked out if it's serious enough.

Speaking from my own experiences of the last few years, I can fully understand why people are now turning up at A&E with stuff they shouldn't really be there for. If I call my GP it's a minor miracle if you even get to speak to the doctor never mind actually see one. If they do offer you an appointment it can be around a fortnight later. If you are in a lot of pain then you simply aren't going to wait that long. On the other hand, the local out of hours service has been fairly good any time we have had to use it.

The exact same happened to me. I had a banging sore head for 3 days that pills couldn't shift. Then on the 4th night I became violently sick. That's when I went to the Dr. He sent me up and I was admitted for the tests you mention.

I think if you take a chance with a headache you're not 'solid' or 'brave', you're f*cking stupid. You never know what it might be when it comes to a sore head.

^^^^ Fails to mention alcohol. Loves the bevvy! Alcohol is a far bigger problem.

:D

Right enough, I forgot about the booze! :lol:

Chuck that in there anaw. 8)

Only if you count only the damage smokers do to themselves, this does not account for the damage they do to non smokers.

What damage? If folk are stupid enough to stand next to a smoker rather than move away, then they deserve the little damage they receive IMO! It's banned in public places and (supposed to be) at entrances, so I don't see how folk couldn't go around their daily business without avoiding second hand smoke tbh. I'll grant you children right enough. But not every smoker smokes around their bairns.

Non-smoker FWIW.

Archived