Falkirk v Queen of the South

Queens do need another striker urgently though as to have just Lyle and Reilly as out and out centre options is too tight and leaves us no sub like for like options

It's curious why Queens decided to release Baird just before a vital game against their main rivals for the fourth play off spot. At the time it seemed likely that they wanted to free up Baird's wage to bring in a replacement striker. Releasing Kerr and bringing in Millar seemed logical, but releasing a contracted player (Baird) just before a game against a playoff rival, when that rival was widely agreed to be one of his two likely destinations, with no replacement striker lined up? Not sure I see the value of that, other than saving on a couple of weeks' wages. Don't think Baird is great by any means, but even so I wouldn't have sent him gift-wrapped to Falkirk just before we played them. Even if he was a disruptive influence in the dressing room, I'd have made him sit in the stand yesterday and ripped up his contract on Monday. Not privy to the goings on at Palmerston these days, but from an outsider's perspective it seems that Queens might have decided that promotion is unlikely this year up against the 'big three' and have decided to cut their cloth in accordance with another anticipated first division campaign next term.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hooper looked very assured when he came on. Durnan has been a bomb-scare since the transfer speculation started about him. As already stated by many Atkinson was tremendous. I've no qualms with the back 5 that finished yesterday starting next week. Playing Mitchell would be madness IMO.

I had a pretty poor view of the game but the first penalty was a clear foul. I thought the outrage at the time was seethers claiming it was a soft one. It's only after coming on here that I've been made aware it might have been outside the box. Either way, absolute stupidity from Durnan.

After Kidd Leahy was the worst player on the park, it's a bit of a travesty that Carmichael didn't try and take him on more, particularly once he was booked. He's a very frustrating player, very hot and cold.

Holt was tremendous again. He's found a level of consistency that makes me think of all of the ones mooted with making a step up, he is the most likely to cope with it.

McShane was in and out of the game. Hopefully Millar in beside him well help him out because he's not the same player without Kerr beside him. Although the fact we've replaced Kerr with Kidd won't help him.

Reilly was a bit isolated first half. I don't think he had a single shot, which is disappointing for a striker, but he worked their centre halves all game. His all round game has come on leaps and bounds. Lyle was tireless but clearly knackered by the time he went off. We need another striker in sharpish.

Falkirk fans - has Mark Miller always been "stocky"?

He looked overweight yesterday to me

I thought he was looking much fitter than I expected him to be. Always remembered him being stocky but after playing at a lower level and not completing 90 mins often was expecting worse. Think he will be a very good signing.

It's curious why Queens decided to release Baird just before a vital game against their main rivals for the fourth play off spot. At the time it seemed likely that they wanted to free up Baird's wage to bring in a replacement striker. Releasing Kerr and bringing in Millar seemed logical, but releasing a contracted player (Baird) just before a game against a playoff rival, when that rival was widely agreed to be one of his two likely destinations, with no replacement striker lined up? Not sure I see the value of that, other than saving on a couple of weeks' wages. Don't think Baird is great by any means, but even so I wouldn't have sent him gift-wrapped to Falkirk just before we played them. Even if he was a disruptive influence in the dressing room, I'd have made him sit in the stand yesterday and ripped up his contract on Monday. Not privy to the goings on at Palmerston these days, but from an outsider's perspective it seems that Queens might have decided that promotion is unlikely this year up against the 'big three' and have decided to cut their cloth in accordance with another anticipated first division campaign next term.

It sounds like James Fowler is hoping for another striker coming in this week.

From yesterdays game I have no doubt we will finish in the play offs....its only a matter of time before we are above QOS

Indeed. After 270 minutes, the last 25 of which were against 10 men, you still haven't managed a goal of your own from open play against us, never mind a win. It's inevitable.

Looking at the highlights that first penalty really is a tough call for the referee. It really is right on the line.

The second is harsh, definitely hits his hand but there's no movement towards the ball. I reckon it would be 50/50 with an appeal.

Based on the one time I've seen him I'd say Atkinson is a far better keeper than Clark who I've always thought of as a weak link. Haven't seen a better save since one Dani Mallo :wub: at Inverness.

Looking at the highlights that first penalty really is a tough call for the referee. It really is right on the line.

The second is harsh, definitely hits his hand but there's no movement towards the ball. I reckon it would be 50/50 with an appeal.

On that evidence then, you must think that your side got out of jail with a point then.

Two very debatable penalty decisions went your way, as did a sending off decision. Still only drew. Christ, Falkirk must be shit.

On that evidence then, you must think that your side got out of jail with a point then. Two very debatable penalty decisions went your way, as did a sending off decision. Still only drew. Christ, Falkirk must be shit.

Yup. Which means your lot are just two points better than shit. And if the season pans out as it usually does, you'll end up worse than shit. How do you like them apples?

Indeed. After 270 minutes, the last 25 of which were against 10 men, you still haven't managed a goal of your own from open play against us, never mind a win. It's inevitable.

Indeed. I don't get the smugness from a couple of Falkirk posters on here. As stated in your post and one of my previous posts, we've had the better of Falkirk and have performed better overall throughout the season thus far. The opinion that Falkirk finishing above QoS is a sure thing really baffles me!

Had to laugh at Peter Houston's after match quote ............................"lady luck didn't shine on us today".

Try looking at it from our perspective - first penalty gave Falkirk a goal start and the second dubious penalty resulted in a fierce shot being blasted at Mark Durnan from point blank range. Bad enough to award the penalty but to send off the player into the bargain beggars belief.Absolutely pathetic decision making. To fail to book Durnan for the first offence also highlights the total incompetence.

That all constitutes bad luck for the home side?

Not from where I am sitting?

Had to laugh at Peter Houston's after match quote ............................"lady luck didn't shine on us today".

Try looking at it from our perspective - first penalty gave Falkirk a goal start and the second dubious penalty resulted in a fierce shot being blasted at Mark Durnan from point blank range. Bad enough to award the penalty but to send off the player into the bargain beggars belief.Absolutely pathetic decision making. To fail to book Durnan for the first offence also highlights the total incompetence.

That all constitutes bad luck for the home side?

Not from where I am sitting?

Well no, it doesn't. He's got no option in that. It was either a penalty or it wasn't. Only Durnan knows if he deliberately handled it but given the pace of the shot and the lack of movement in his arm I don't think he did. However if the ref gives a penalty then he's deemed it deliberate (or in this case his stand side assistant did) and if he does that it absolutely HAS to be a red card. The referee has no latitude to make up the rules as he goes along.

I do agree though, Falkirk got most of the luck in the decision making at least. Both penalties were highly debatable. There was some poetic justice in the second being missed.

Where are the highlights BTW?

Falkirk's are available on their website to subscribers only.

Ours will hopefully be available free of charge soon. I've seen the red card footage though. I'm looking forward to seeing the first penalty award again too. My impression at the time was it was well outside the box. Interesting to see a couple of Falkirk fans who have seen it are saying it was just outside.

Falkirk's are available on their website to subscribers only.

Ours will hopefully be available free of charge soon. I've seen the red card footage though. I'm looking forward to seeing the first penalty award again too. My impression at the time was it was well outside the box. Interesting to see a couple of Falkirk fans who have seen it are saying it was just outside.

Well in your opinion is the sending off worth appealing?

And if the season pans out as it usually does, you'll end up worse than shit. How do you like them apples?

Do Falkirk usually overtake us well into the second half of the season, having trailed before that?

It's not a pattern I'm particularly aware of.

Archived