What do you think?

Tom McB

I could see her point if he blacked up to play a black disabled guy.

Otherwise, not relevant as he plays Hawking when not disabled then disabled.

Non issue, shitty journalism, close the thread.

eta Stop reading the guardian it's full of buckled lefty cnuts.

Typical self righteous article from The Guardian. They love a (insert subject) is racist/sexist/homophobic story. The one about Thomas The Tank Engine being racist being the most laughable. It's a shame as a lot of their articles are really good, particularly the fitbaw and food sections.

Typical self righteous article from The Guardian. They love a (insert subject) is racist/sexist/homophobic story. The one about Thomas The Tank Engine being racist being the most laughable. It's a shame as a lot of their articles are really good, particularly the fitbaw and food sections.

Poor Thomas has never been the same since.

Charlie brooker is probably the only "comment is free" writer I pay attention to. Ben Goldacre too come to think of it.

I bought a copy of the observer recently and it set me back £3! £3! Could have bought a roll and crisps, with a side of chips and a soup for that. True story.

Isn't every actor "faking it"

Also, as far as i'm aware the move about Hawkins is also about his motor neurone disease. What are the studios supposed to do? Hire different actors to portrait him before and after the disease? :huh:

It's a biopic that charts the life of someone who has struggled with a progressive degenerative disease - if it had been about someone who was born disabled I agree a disabled actor would have been more appropriate, but what were they meant to do in this case - hire an actor in the advanced stages of ALS and then prop him up against walls with someone dubbing his lines for the first hour of the film? Non-story.

It's a biopic that charts the life of someone who has struggled with a progressive degenerative disease - if it had been about someone who was born disabled I agree a disabled actor would have been more appropriate, but what were they meant to do in this case - hire an actor in the advanced stages of ALS and then prop him up against walls with someone dubbing his lines for the first hour of the film? Non-story.

Nonsense.

Even if the film was about the Professor in the advanced stages of his disease, Mr. Redmayne - like Lionel Barrymore, Dustin Hoffman, Daniel Day-Lewis et al. before him - has as much right to play him as an actor with a disability. Hiring an MND actor out of tokenism would be sickly, patronising and grossly unartistic.

Hiring an MND actor out of tokenism would be sickly, patronising and grossly unartistic.

As horrible as it may be to say, many people with MND might not even last for the duration of the filming. The thing with Hawking is that because he's so high profile, people presume that MND is a lasting condition when the average life expectancy from the time of development is supposedly only 2-5 years. A former colleague developed it and died within 9 months of being diagnosed. Scary. :(

As disgusting as that article is, it has reminded me of Jim Jeffries' story about holding auditions for someone to play someone paralysed from the neck down.

A paraplegic actor came to read lines, and when asked if he knew he wasn't allowed to move his arms either, he insisted he could "quad up" for the role.

Nonsense.

Even if the film was about the Professor in the advanced stages of his disease, Mr. Redmayne - like Lionel Barrymore, Dustin Hoffman, Daniel Day-Lewis et al. before him - has as much right to play him as an actor with a disability. Hiring an MND actor out of tokenism would be sickly, patronising and grossly unartistic.

I dunno - had it been a film about someone born with perhaps cerebral palsy and there was an actor with the condition who had the required chops, I'd kind of like to see them get the gig.

Like I initially said though it was a non-starter in this case - the film's about Hawking's entire life, not just the period since he contracted ALS, and as such required an able-bodied actor who could portray the progression of the disease.

Archived