Scrambling for Relevance

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say Olivier would have done a better job in The Football Factory than Dyer in Hamlet, and probably The Football Factory. It's called acting dear boy, you don't have to be a cnut to play one.

So by that logic if Laurence Olivier acted every part in the history of cinema, no-one could have played each of those parts 'better' than him? And no one could have played Danny Dyer's parts worse than Danny Dyer?

So by that logic if Laurence Olivier acted every part in the history of cinema, no-one could have played each of those parts 'better' than him? And no one could have played Danny Dyer's parts worse than Danny Dyer?

No. Olivier was capable of playing more than one role. Dyer isn't, and he's not very good at the one he does.

No. Olivier was capable of playing more than one role. Dyer isn't, and he's not very good at the one he does.

Again, Dyer may not very good based on your standards, or indeed most people's standards. However, I'm sure there are fans of Dyer's acting, they may be eccentric, they may even be liking what he does ironically but they would still prefer watching him in any given role than they would Olivier.

Therefore the closest you can come to objectivity is by showing that a majority of people would prefer Olivier to Dyer - it would likely never be a universally held opinion.

I'm starting to bore myself here but if anyone is interested in relatively non-tedious debate you can read up on objectivism v. subjectivism.

The Oasis/Blur feud was the best thing that ever happened to both bands. Wouldn't be surprised if it was entirely fabricated.

I for one am absolutely astounded that any such thing could happen in the music industry!

I'm sure nothing like it has happened before or since??

Don't think anyone's suggesting that, just as I wasn't saying The Sun was the worst paper going. Everything is a sliding scale.

Again, Dyer may not very good based on your standards, or indeed most people's standards. However, I'm sure there are fans of Dyer's acting, they may be eccentric, they may even be liking what he does ironically but they would still prefer watching him in any given role than they would Olivier.

Therefore the closest you can come to objectivity is by showing that a majority of people would prefer Olivier to Dyer - it would likely never be a universally held opinion.

I'm starting to bore myself here but if anyone is interested in relatively non-tedious debate you can read up on objectivism v. subjectivism.

I also don't think anyone's confused on the differences between objectivism & subjectivism, but I would make the point that it's an academic discussion, because I do not believe objectivism exists in practical terms anyway. Even if an individual was able to draw a totally objective conclusion on a topic, how would they or anyone else truly know? In viewing and considering their analysis my opinion, or yours, or anyones, would be tainted by inherent bias and perspective. Subjectivity is all we have, it is intrinsic to the human condition, but it does not negate our capacity to debate and rationalise critical processes.

In conclusion, I reiterate; Noel Gallagher and Ed Sheerin are both goblin-faced shiters. I will grant that Noel Gallagher is marginally less crap because he's not ginger.

Guest bernardblack

Great live act. Can't say I'm a massive fan of their albums, which have standout tracks and complete dross for the rest.

I genuinely hate when people say that Kasabian are great live. They're not.

Archived