Original Ronaldo.

Derry boy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the fear the night before the Brazil-Scotland game. Thought he was going to score 5. To be fair we handled him quite well.

Was a shame what happened in the final ( well not really I wanted France to win ) . Did he have a fit the night before and was forced to play by sponsors? What was the story?

The best no9 in my generation and I'm not sure there will be another better than him in my lifetime when he was in his prime.

Quite a few players were brilliant that night iirc, i just remember ronaldo especially as he scored the 3

Don't think Maccers played very well that night actually but he was playing

I don't think Ronaldo ever won a league though did he? Maybe towards the very end of his career but think his club honours weren't that good? Cant be bothered googling the facts at mo

Don't think Maccers played very well that night actually but he was playing

I don't think Ronaldo ever won a league though did he? Maybe towards the very end of his career but think his club honours weren't that good? Cant be bothered googling the facts at mo

I think he won league titles but never won the Champions League.

I think he won league titles but never won the Champions League.

Looked there - won La Liga in 2002-2003 which would have been after i heard that stat but i think that was the first time he had won the league and never won the CL

Won the UEFA cup with Inter

Bobby Robson face at the end of the video :lol:

The "hands on head 'what the f**k have I just seen'" reaction is one of my favourite touchline moments in football. Just sheer awe and amazement at a level of talent and power he'd probably never seen before.

I grew up as a kid and tennager watching Ronaldo, I absolutely adored him, he was a genius, and for my money was the best player of his generation (better than Zidane). Has obviously since been eclipsed by Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo since, but I often still find myself watching youtube videos of him play when I'm at a loose end. At his peak, he was absolutely unplayable.

Some boy. Looked like the king of the world at the World Cup in 2002. Mind the days when a'body still loved Brazil? :lol:

I love how fat and friendly he looks nowadays, i wouldn't be surprised if he had a bit of Scottish blood in him

Certainly looked like he was into the black pudding by the time 2006 rolled around.

I think he got that haircut because his young kid kept getting mixed up with Bobby Carlos and him on the telly I think?

Kinda makes it acceptable.

His kid had trouble recognising him? :o

At least his wean cared, I suppose. Ours has seen me on the telly a couple of times in the past year, and the lack of shits given was palpable :angry:

Was a shame what happened in the final ( well not really I wanted France to win ) . Did he have a fit the night before and was forced to play by sponsors? What was the story?

The story at the time was that he took a fit for some reason in the early hours of the morning. The team were all up worrying about him, so they didnae get much sleep. When he was discharged, he claimed to be fine and fit to play (as you would, FFS), but Mario Zagallo said no chance, you're hooked. Rest of the team go into a blind panic about how they'll never beat France without Ronaldo, so threaten not to play unless he's in the team. Zagallo backs down, and France bend them over as a result.

Sounded like a bit of mass hysteria. If they'd just calmed the f**k down and accepted that he wasn't fit to play, they'd likely still have beaten France anyway. It's not like they were Argentina in '86, for God's sake.

The more cynical story is that Nike demanded he play and the rest of the team spent the 90 minutes shit scared he was about to collapse again

The more cynical story is that Nike demanded he play and the rest of the team spent the 90 minutes shit scared he was about to collapse again

The Graun featured it in their excellent series of Stunning World Cup moments.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/may/08/world-cup-stunning-moments-25-ronaldo-france

Like JStewart Fat Ronaldo was a childhood hero of mine, some boy.

Dat hat trick at Old Trafford. :wub:

Archived