First Game you ever played!

wellboy1991

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Treasure island or Oh mummy (pacman clone) on the speccy.

It was Treasure Island for me as a five year old around 1990.

I could barely make it past the first handful of screens. The pirates reaching down for you on the second screen used to freak me out.

Talk of ISS Pro makes me feel old. I had ISS on the SNES and followed it to the Playstation.

Jesus, so many memories...

My Megadrive came bundled with Altered Beast, but Mega Games 1 was a cracking cartridge, especially considering you could pick it up for £9.99, which was an unheard-of price back then.

I'd completely forgotten about Thru The Wall and the Horizons tape! Presumably that was my first Speccy game. The Horace games were quality too.

I love you even more now, sjc. I was a mad collector of D&H/Cult Games as a wean; that was invariably where my pocket money went on a Saturday. Those games are absolute nostalgia heroin for me.

Just remembered another candidate for me - my mum was a school teacher, and would sometimes take me in to her school at the weekends. While she was busy doing some admin, I'd be on the office Acorn Electron playing this bad boy:

grannysgarden.gif

Jesus, so many memories...

My Megadrive came bundled with Altered Beast, but Mega Games 1 was a cracking cartridge, especially considering you could pick it up for £9.99, which was an unheard-of price back then.

I'd completely forgotten about Thru The Wall and the Horizons tape! Presumably that was my first Speccy game. The Horace games were quality too.

I love you even more now, sjc. I was a mad collector of D&H/Cult Games as a wean; that was invariably where my pocket money went on a Saturday. Those games are absolute nostalgia heroin for me.

Just remembered another candidate for me - my mum was a school teacher, and would sometimes take me in to her school at the weekends. While she was busy doing some admin, I'd be on the office Acorn Electron playing this bad boy:

grannysgarden.gif

A couple of years ago when I was working offshore I dug out my old 128k Spectrum and loaded up Football Director......managed to take Nott'm Forest up through the divisions, numerous Cup wins and even the CWC and European Cup :)

Fcuking hell I was bored in that contract!

A couple of years ago when I was working offshore I dug out my old 128k Spectrum and loaded up Football Director......managed to take Nott'm Forest up through the divisions, numerous Cup wins and even the CWC and European Cup :)

Fcuking hell I was bored in that contract!

Hidden away on my work server, I've got a Spectrum folder containing emulators and literally every game ever released for it. There's a bunch of other stuff too, like thousands of tape inlay scans, maps that people have drawn, even technical diagrams for the hardware. Y'know, should I ever feel the need to build myself a Spectrum from scratch. Slight overkill, but more convenient than having to tote the real thing around with me :P

Scariest thing is that the entire folder takes up less than 1.5GB of space, and that's with duplicate files all over the place :blink:

Very vauge memory of my parents convncing me the Sinclair Spectrum had voice recognition during a game of Trivial Pursuit. In reality they just hit the right answer from a multiple choice selection and if it corresponded to whatever answer I'd picked they managed to convince me the computer was hearing me.

First console game was probably the Alex Kidd built in game on my mates Master System.

The first system I owned was a Commodore 64 and I remember playing a lot of International Football as that was on a cartridge and every other game I had was on cassette.

At school I remember playing some farming game on the BBC Micro. There was also Sim City and Carmen Sandiego on the MacIntosh.

It was Treasure Island for me as a five year old around 1990.

I could barely make it past the first handful of screens. The pirates reaching down for you on the second screen used to freak me out.

Talk of ISS Pro makes me feel old. I had ISS on the SNES and followed it to the Playstation.

Aw man I loved Treasure Island. Was so hard to begin with mind you. Awesome game.

Think my first game was Rick Dangerous or Ghostbusters on the Spectrum 48k.

Only recently we were talking about computer games at work. I was telling one of our apprentices (18 year old) that we used to have to stick a cassette in the deck and wait for 15 minutes of beeps and static until the game loaded.

He thought we were taking the piss out him and refused to believe us :lol:

Both quality games. Need infinite lives on Rick Dick, however.

The tape loading thing does seem a bit mental now. Everyone had one tape that would fail towards the end of loading 50% of the time. There are a load of YouTube videos of Spectrum games loading from tape, but I'm not sure if that'd actually help with your apprentice's disbelief :P

For me it would either be Chuckie Egg on the school's BBC or Horace Goes Skiing on my mate's Spectrum. I was later than most in owning any sort of gaming device - I was primary 7 before I got an Amstrad CPC464 for my Christmas; a computer that came with a colour monitor and a pack of 12 games, the aforementioned Oh Mummy being about the best one and I think the first computer game I played in the confort of my own bedroom.

9. Huggard

"Huggard" was the "H" in D&H Games; the other laddie was DeSalis. It's not entirely tragic that I know this - I wrote to them once to ask for review copies of games for a fanzine I was making at school.

That doesn't make it any better, does it? :lol:

Very vauge memory of my parents convncing me the Sinclair Spectrum had voice recognition during a game of Trivial Pursuit. In reality they just hit the right answer from a multiple choice selection and if it corresponded to whatever answer I'd picked they managed to convince me the computer was hearing me.

Parents can be b*****ds.

I've thoroughly enjoyed pulling this kind of shit on my own wee man :P

Archived