The 2016 US Presidential Election

Adamski

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

He really didn't. Trump came across poorly, speaking only to his own support base, and it sounds like Clinton won according to the crucial undecideds.

Trump's tactic appeared to be try to shout over Clinton.  When the moderator wouldn't put up with it, it amounted to bias.  

So poorly did Trump do, there's growing speculation he might actually pull out of the next debates citing media bias.  Very rarely will you ever see a candidate 1. so manifestly out of his depth and 2. with such a high chance of winning.  

Trump's tactic appeared to be try to shout over Clinton.  When the moderator wouldn't put up with it, it amounted to bias.  

So poorly did Trump do, there's growing speculation he might actually pull out of the next debates citing media bias.  Very rarely will you ever see a candidate 1. so manifestly out of his depth and 2. with such a high chance of winning.  

I see he is claiming his mic wasn't working.

The questions were a couple of vague as f**k open ended ones about 'American prosperity', the candidates 'vision of the world' etc, with an accusatorial question for each (emails/tax return).

The difference was Clinton took the wind out of her question with a short acceptance of responsibility, whilst Trump dug himself a hole with a bunch of seething, word salad spraff.

The complaints about interruptions and fact checking is a bit like football fans complaining that the ref gave loads of fouls against them. It doesn't acknowledge the possibility that one side was a heads gone mess who needed to be kept in check.

Clinton was talked over a few times to say her time was up and she generally brought it to a close. Timing your statements instead of bickering with the moderator is another advantage of actually being prepared.

Clinton needs to spend less time telling people why they shouldn't vote for Trump and more time telling people why they should vote for her.
Trump needs to spend more time creating actual policies. Never seen any candidate get this far with pretty much a single policy, build a fucking wall.
The US is fucked whoever gets in.

The most frightening part of that whole debate is the realisation that Jeremy Corbyn, Tim "Thunderbirds Brows" Farron, Kezia Dugdale, that Aussie c**t that set the Greens back a decade, Cat Boyd, Peter Dow & that used wet-wipe smelling shitgibbon in my work who regurgitates loudly whatever he last read in the Daily Rectum & An Phoblacht as "fact" could have wiped the floor with the pair of them.

The US is doomed.

Couldn't sleep so got up to watch it. If the usual rules applied you'd call that a solid 'win' for Clinton, but I suppose the usual rules haven't applied to Trump's campaign so far, so who knows.

He really is dire though - not just the dangerous nature of what he says but the rambling, incoherent way he says it. The bit when she was slating him for paying zero federal taxes and he interrupted to say 'that makes me smart' made my jaw drop. It's still quite astonishing that he's even in contention - the idea that roughly half of Americans can watch that and plan to vote for him is bizarre. 

Wouldn't say it was a flawless performance from Clinton though. I read somewhere that her goals will have included riling Trump and showing a bit of personality herself. I think she managed the former and a little bit of the latter - a couple of the little comments etc were quite good. Overall there was a slight feel of being too polished though. The stuff about her father was a bit transparent and I think there were times where she could have gone for the jugular more aggressively than she did. Maybe she's saving that for the later debates - can't help but feel in a first debate against someone that unpredictable playing it safe is a pretty good tactic. 

Slightly unrelated, but this is an extremely interesting article on the Gore/Bush debates back in 2000: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/09/25/us/politics/george-w-bush-al-gore-2000-presidential-debate.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

That is a vg article but my god it's depressing.

Why the f**k does likeability matter when it comes to a presidential election? How does it help that they're likeable?

Compassionate, capable, trustworthy, effective...but not voting for someone because they rolled their eyes (in perfectly legitimate circumstances)?

If Trump's poll ratings take a dive after this I can't see him turning up for the next two debates. He bit on everything Clinton said and dug a bigger hole for himself each time. He had a chance to attack her on the email thing and instead made an idiot of himself on the tax disclosure thing.

I had a watch of much of it and Trump came across exactly as you'd expect him to. With so many unscientific polls going in his favour he'll fool himself into thinking he actually did well there, and will probably go with the same tactic in the next two.

The strange thing is he definitely got the better of the first half hour. He made quite a few excellent jabs, mostly on trade and the economy, and then let Clinton distract him with nonsense that he bit to time and time again - have to say, the questioning probably helped Clinton a little there too. Clinton was reeling after the chat about NAFTA and Trump blew it.

Not sure if it'll ultimately have too much of an impact, but Trump just needs to stick to his basic message and he wins the debates doing little else. Even that seems beyond him as soon as gets any kind of a jab at him personally.

16 hours ago, WaffenThinMint said:

The most frightening part of that whole debate is the realisation that Jeremy Corbyn, Tim "Thunderbirds Brows" Farron, Kezia Dugdale, that Aussie c**t that set the Greens back a decade, Cat Boyd, Peter Dow & that used wet-wipe smelling shitgibbon in my work who regurgitates loudly whatever he last read in the Daily Rectum & An Phoblacht as "fact" could have wiped the floor with the pair of them.

The US is doomed.

What are Peter Dow's views on Hillary Clinton?  We all know how he feels about Condaleeza Rice....

Archived