Are Scottish players not fit enough?

You would almost think it was something the clubs would be emphasising - or is it just that the general culture is impenetrable?

I always cringe when you get some manager on Sportsound saying "so and so is a great lad - he even comes back in the afternoon" or "so and so has a real continental outlook - he even asks the staff about his diet".

You'd think they would emphasise it, as the cost of maximising fitness must be far cheaper and efficient than that of buying players or honing youth systems.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The clubs probably do emphasise it but theres only so much they can do, it is up to the players to behave professionally and look after themselves.

I know a lot of long-distance trail runners and quite a few people into martial arts. The extent these guys train and look after themselves is huge and they aren't even being paid for it, they do it because they have a bit of drive and desire to do well in their sport. This is what I don't get when talking about footballers - we talk about clubs getting them to train well, behave professionally and earn the wage - don't any of them have the drive to do this out of professional pride? Don't they have the drive to actually be the best footballer they can be because it is their chosen sport? Why do paid sportsmen need to be forced when amateurs can do what they need to do out of the love of it?

I think it's the wages; once they achieve a decent professional level (say SPL standard), they get given around £1000 p/w which in this day in age is a brilliant weekly wage which you can live off comfortably and then some. Maybe it's the fact "they make it" at that point, and they don't really see the point in thriving to be the best when they can live comfortably the way they are performing. Shocking attitude like.

I think it's the wages; once they achieve a decent professional level (say SPL standard), they get given around £1000 p/w which in this day in age is a brilliant weekly wage which you can live off comfortably and then some. Maybe it's the fact "they make it" at that point, and they don't really see the point in thriving to be the best when they can live comfortably the way they are performing. Shocking attitude like.

Spot on. An average spl footballer prob gets anywhere between 50-80k (after bonus) for a 25 hour a week job (if that).

They are vastly overpaid considering they're not actually that good in the grand scheme of things. Most of these guys will happily spend afternoon in the bookies or nandos or whatever is they do instead of doing something that will help make them better.

Harkins looked fat to me on Saturday. Far bigger than previous games.

County also record the weight and fat % of every player. Even during the close season.

ICT - fair shout about fitness, they are the fittest I have seen this season.

I'm delighted that Neilson and Levein have made double and triple training sessions the norm at Hearts now. It will only make us better than the dinosaur deadbeats who get the lads in for a couple of hours before they're allowed to f**k off to the bookies in the afternoon.

Spot on. An average spl footballer prob gets anywhere between 50-80k (after bonus) for a 25 hour a week job (if that).They are vastly overpaid considering they're not actually that good in the grand scheme of things. Most of these guys will happily spend afternoon in the bookies or nandos or whatever is they do instead of doing something that will help make them better.

They aren't good? Wtf. :lol:

Aye it's that easy a job to get into....

I'll quit the office the morn, buy a baw, hit the gym and be signed for an SPL side within the year.

Don't haver shite

I'm delighted that Neilson and Levein have made double and triple training sessions the norm at Hearts now. It will only make us better than the dinosaur deadbeats who get the lads in for a couple of hours before they're allowed to f**k off to the bookies in the afternoon.

Neilson has really impressed me. Hearts will finish top three in the Premiership next season, it just seems like a very well-run club now.

Neilson has really impressed me. Hearts will finish top three in the Premiership next season, it just seems like a very well-run club now.

Top three is pretty ambitious for our first season back but it's certainly not impossible. The summer transfer market will have a big bearing on this and hopefully we keep the likes of Walker and Pallardo.

I'd be surprised if we weren't top six at a canter though - 4th or 5th should be more than achievable.

Top three is pretty ambitious for our first season back but it's certainly not impossible. The summer transfer market will have a big bearing on this and hopefully we keep the likes of Walker and Pallardo.

I'd be surprised if we weren't top six at a canter though - 4th or 5th should be more than achievable.

I agree with you there Paulo but where do you think we need to strengthen? Granted we need to strengthen but who would you pinpoint as a weak link?

I agree with you there Paulo but where do you think we need to strengthen? Granted we need to strengthen but who would you pinpoint as a weak link?

I'd say it's more a case of hanging onto players rather than having to bring many in. Anyone who does go will then obviously have to be adequately replaced or improved on.

I'd say it's more a case of hanging onto players rather than having to bring many in. Anyone who does go will then obviously have to be adequately replaced or improved on.

Fair point....guess I'm just looking into the Cup games v Celtic to judge us for next season.

In what other sport would a full time professional even consider going out boozing most weeks?

Would find it quite insulting as a celtic fan to hear of players doing this when they are on tens of thousands a week.

Also at that level players should know better without being encouraged by their manager. They should be fined.

Spot on. An average spl footballer prob gets anywhere between 50-80k (after bonus) for a 25 hour a week job (if that).

They are vastly overpaid considering they're not actually that good in the grand scheme of things. Most of these guys will happily spend afternoon in the bookies or nandos or whatever is they do instead of doing something that will help make them better.

But how much do they make compared to nurses and soldiers? Bloody disgrace ;)

Archived