World Cup 2018 Qualifying

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/16/2017 at 10:21, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Scheduling must be a nightmare for this one with all the different time zones in Russia.

Kick off times normally going to be 1,3 & 5 I assume.

On 11/16/2017 at 19:22, TheCelt67 said:

June the 16th, which happens to be my birthday, (don't worry lads, a card with a tenner will suffice), has four games scheduled.   I'm hoping that at least two of the games will feature some of the bigger nations.

On 11/16/2017 at 19:30, Bully Wee Villa said:

My selfish brother is getting married that day so will likely miss the busiest day of the whole cup. emoji21.png

The games on the 16th are 1100, 1400, 1700 and 2000 hrs but that particular day is an anomaly as the usual KO times will be 1300, 1500/1600 and 1900 hrs.

There is only one venue in a different time zone (Eastern/Asian Russia), as most of the games will be played in Western/European Russia. There were more time zones involved with USA'94.

Which is shit, to be honest, as I was hoping for later games like last time around. I suppose the 1900 hrs kick-off and the highlights programme will have to suffice for the bevvy sessions.

The only venue East of the Ural Mountains is Yekaterinburg Stadium. The one where two of the stands are technically outside the ground. Views similar to Hampden.

300px-%D0%95%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%

I don't think I've ever felt less enthusiastic about a World Cup. Deathly dull groups and barely a match to get excited about, Spain v Portugal being the exception. FIFA are more interested in keeping the TV audience involved than they are in giving us a true competition. Ho hum.

Maybe just me, but I'd feel it would be more exciting if they only allowed the Group Winners to make it through, and just pumped straight into the Quarters.

Would mean less games, and more chances of big countries missing out, so it'll never be allowed, but it would definitely be more exciting.

21 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

On paper, Morocco vs Iran is the shittiest World Cup game I can remember. 

Four games on the opening Saturday though, starting at 10am. Some day of boozing that'll be.

I am not altogether sure any of us should be slagging off these two footballing behemoths of the world stage.

Kudos to you though for already hatching a plan for the sesh on the 16th.    :guinness

I've never been a fan of seeding. It's just legitimised cheating in my book. I can see the point, at a stretch, of having the 8 top seeds in 8 different groups but after that it should be an open draw.

I've never been a fan of seeding. It's just legitimised cheating in my book. I can see the point, at a stretch, of having the 8 top seeds in 8 different groups but after that it should be an open draw.

It’s always a bit tricky as you want to keep nations from the same confederations apart too but I quite agree that there’s too much seeding going around and that there was nothing wrong with the old system. I can’t wait to find out more about how they’ll ruin the World Cup after 2022 though.

I would hate to be an England fan, they play nonentities in qualifying and believe they are world beaters and the first time they meet a half decent team they realise how unprepared qualifying makes you for the main event.

On 02/12/2017 at 11:17, Dunning1874 said:

China v Costa Rica in 2002? Every game involving Greece in 2014?

Nothing has, nor will ever, beat Bolivia v South Korea in 1994. The footballing equivalent of the song 'Gloomy Sunday'.

Archived