The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

Locke deserves better from his players. How can you draw against Hearts, beat ICT the next week then totally capitulate to the bottom side following that?

The manager is the easy target but the players are to blame for yesterday's debacle.

I also dont agree entirely with you here. I believe there's the guts of a decent squad in there somewhere capable of competing in this league. But they need direction, organisation and motivation.

Why change the system from positive results and performances against good teams?

Smith and Hamill didnt know who was doing what or how to support the ballplayer (slater). Why did Locke feel he had to fit them both in?

Mchattie, looked fit enough, why not start him? If he's done after an hour, then replace him, when hopefully we've done in enough in the game.

When smith went off, locke showed a massive lack of basic management and organisation by essentially leaving Frizzell up against Guy Demel, talk about a physical mismatch.

Higginbotham, why start him at the expense of frizzel, and why constantly be asking your wingers to be changing positions?

Why is it that Locke cannot man-manage young players to not let their heads go after losing an early goal? He's had more than enough chances to help these guys.

4 CB's in the back 4, 3 very inexperienced. If you feel you need to play hamill, rest syme, and play hamill at RB.

Set pieces, we look disorganised constantly. Not just on Saturday, but at perth too.

It's clear that after this many games, Locke cannot address problems, still doesn't know his preferred style and formation, or how to fit the players in a system. Can't motivate, encourage, recruit. What does he bring to the party?

How anyone can defend Locke is beyond me.

I dont give a toss about all the hes-a-jambo talk, i dont care what team he supports, however, he has encouraged the criticism because hes showed misplaced value on players he knows from Tynecastle, and hasnt learned about how to coach young players from his time there where he was forced to work with them.

What is Locke's strengths? What is he doing, or what has he done to justify him staying in the job?

This is the worst, most prolonged period of utter dreadfulness in my 25+ years of following Killie, and it's sickening. we seem to stumble from crisis to crisis, and the real sickener is that it's totally self inflicted. A disgrace of a setup on and off the pitch.

I really feel that this is the year our luck has run out, and we'll be seeing 1,000 crowds in the Championship next year. Fans are not deserting because we're more fickle than most other fanbases, it's because everything about the club reeks

Locke deserves better from his players. How can you draw against Hearts, beat ICT the next week then totally capitulate to the bottom side following that?

The manager is the easy target but the players are to blame for yesterday's debacle.

You could try to be more wrong, but you'd be unsuccessful. The team was ridiculously disjointed because Locke has a knack of picking a formation first and then trying to fit the players in rather than the other way round.

I for one hope that his next shite is a hedgehog.

I also dont agree entirely with you here. I believe there's the guts of a decent squad in there somewhere capable of competing in this league. But they need direction, organisation and motivation.

Why change the system from positive results and performances against good teams?

Smith and Hamill didnt know who was doing what or how to support the ballplayer (slater). Why did Locke feel he had to fit them both in?

Mchattie, looked fit enough, why not start him? If he's done after an hour, then replace him, when hopefully we've done in enough in the game.

When smith went off, locke showed a massive lack of basic management and organisation by essentially leaving Frizzell up against Guy Demel, talk about a physical mismatch.

Higginbotham, why start him at the expense of frizzel, and why constantly be asking your wingers to be changing positions?

Why is it that Locke cannot man-manage young players to not let their heads go after losing an early goal? He's had more than enough chances to help these guys.

4 CB's in the back 4, 3 very inexperienced. If you feel you need to play hamill, rest syme, and play hamill at RB.

Set pieces, we look disorganised constantly. Not just on Saturday, but at perth too.

It's clear that after this many games, Locke cannot address problems, still doesn't know his preferred style and formation, or how to fit the players in a system. Can't motivate, encourage, recruit. What does he bring to the party?

How anyone can defend Locke is beyond me.

I dont give a toss about all the hes-a-jambo talk, i dont care what team he supports, however, he has encouraged the criticism because hes showed misplaced value on players he knows from Tynecastle, and hasnt learned about how to coach young players from his time there where he was forced to work with them.

What is Locke's strengths? What is he doing, or what has he done to justify him staying in the job?

This is the worst, most prolonged period of utter dreadfulness in my 25+ years of following Killie, and it's sickening. we seem to stumble from crisis to crisis, and the real sickener is that it's totally self inflicted. A disgrace of a setup on and off the pitch.

I really feel that this is the year our luck has run out, and we'll be seeing 1,000 crowds in the Championship next year. Fans are not deserting because we're more fickle than most other fanbases, it's because everything about the club reeks

Whilst I don't necessarily agree with all of your post, I do agree with a number of points you make here, particularly regarding motivation, team selection, tactics and the ability (or lack thereof) to turn things around.

I agree with you 100% when you question why these players can defend well against some teams yet don't turn up or switch off against others. I think the players this season have to question their commitment and attitude as personal pride alone should ensure you do not lose 4 or more goals at least 5 times in a season, particularly against world beaters like Dundee, Thistle, Ross County and a team which hasn't won in 10 games.

So Locke I feel has a right to feel aggrieved and cheated to a certain extent however as others allude to when it goes wrong he doesn't seem to be able to change things when they are going wrong. We are also virtually 2/3rds of the way through the season and he still doesn't know his best defence. The fact he still has Tope in the squad shows how clueless he really is - Tope wouldn't get a game with a good junior team IMO.

The team also are not well organised which is why we have so many attempts at goal against us - we stand off teams and let them get into positions where they can shoot far too easily. We defend across the pitch, rather than as 2 blocks of 4 like others do to us - this is something he also learned from Captain Calamity and his sidekick Billy Brown.

I think both the players and Locke are culpable for what is one of the worst seasons I have ever experienced as a Killie fan, and I have been watching them since the 60's. The only 2 managers worse than Locke are Clunie and Allan Johnston, with Jefferies not far behind for the last 4 years he was here.

Edited by paul wright scores

It's certainly one of the worst seasons in recent years, but when you've gone through 40 plus years, or even half a century (like you) following them, it's dramatic to say it's that bad - yet. I must say that I struggle to think of one thing which sets Locke above Clunie.

Football runs in cycles, and Killie's biorhythms for ownership, management and squad appear to be synchronising at a low point right now. Something will start to improve soon, and we'll look back on this period with an absurd fondness. "Mind when they paid a wage to Ross Barbour? Aye, that was the same time they jacked up the prices by twenty percent , then made out they were the good guys by going back to the original level"

This is the opportunity for us auld yins to drag out tales of travelling to the likes of Cappielow or Boghead as underdogs hoping to get away with a point, and for the youngsters to stick in the memory banks to sweeten future trophy wins, knowing they've got the "thick and thin" badge. 1997 was great, but how much greater was it for those of us who had endured the Great Toilets of Scottish Football Tour in the '80s?

The thing is, with the changes in the modern game - and that fucking great monstrosity which replaced the greatest ground in Scotland - I reckon that, if we do go down, it'll need another Chadwick/Moffat/Fleeting coalition to get us back up - and that was a once-in-a-lifetime deal, imho. Let's just hope the Accies are even worse than us, eh?

How has higgy been a think we miss his swagger a bit, but in saying that I've never seen him being star man for Killie in the paper? Can we have him back?

Take him if you want. Thought he'd be a great signing but for the presumably high wage he will be on he's not been worth it. Shows flashes of skill but has had injury problems and seems to have a general Cba attitude for a lot of games.

I would agree that Gary Locke deserves better from his players as playing football is their only job so it's hard to see how it is possible that they can be so bad at it. But the same can be said for Locke- its not a difficult job to do. check fixture list, analyse stregnths and weakneses of next opponents and use the next 6 days working out how to best exploit weaknesses/counter stregnths. repeat.

I would also agree that this may be one of the worst seasons for a while, Im undecided if I would rather we just went down this season or dragged it out for a few more years.

I think most Killie fans will agree that the present team is poor when compared to what we were used to under Mixu/Kenny but to say it's the poorest is a tad harsh , and this comes from a fan who disagreed with the AJ/GL combination from the off .

As WRK said any club goes through cycles I just about remember the 64/65/66 season , when we had a great team , but when Walter Macrae took over the football according to my dad was brutal in comparison . In Lockinhos defence he has very little backing from the board which is in turmoil, and this must at the very least be distracting , and fans will inevitably compare the team with the cup winners of 2012 . We aren't down yet and yes we have dodged it for a few seasons now , but even if we do go down IMO it won't be the end of the earth . Imagine a season when we win more than we lose, taking a leek behind the Brechin hedge , standing in the Cowdenbeath dust bowl , the Forfar birdies and filling the away end in the toilet down the A77 .

All of this assuming of course we don't do a sevco , but even if we do Kilmarnock FC will survive in some form or another .

I think most Killie fans will agree that the present team is poor when compared to what we were used to under Mixu/Kenny but to say it's the poorest is a tad harsh , and this comes from a fan who disagreed with the AJ/GL combination from the off .

As WRK said any club goes through cycles I just about remember the 64/65/66 season , when we had a great team , but when Walter Macrae took over the football according to my dad was brutal in comparison . In Lockinhos defence he has very little backing from the board which is in turmoil, and this must at the very least be distracting , and fans will inevitably compare the team with the cup winners of 2012 . We aren't down yet and yes we have dodged it for a few seasons now , but even if we do go down IMO it won't be the end of the earth . Imagine a season when we win more than we lose, taking a leek behind the Brechin hedge , standing in the Cowdenbeath dust bowl , the Forfar birdies and filling the away end in the toilet down the A77 .

All of this assuming of course we don't do a sevco , but even if we do Kilmarnock FC will survive in some form or another .

Every single one of those teams play in League One.

Tbf, Killie should be immediately demoted 2 leagues just for getting horsed by that Dundee Utd team.

Even then we wouldn't stand much chance of playing those teams; Ayr could get promoted and Forfar and Brechin look doomed to the drop. Only Cowden will likely still be in League One next season.

But yes, I agree.

Locke has had enough backing from the board to bring in plenty of new faces who are not making the grade. Enough also to waste (x)amount of his budget on an untested and unqualified coaching staff in the rangers boys so I dont think the board comes into it at all.

The players are definately to blame for performances this season, it doesnt matter who your manager is you should be going out doing your best, and if the team has to change formation, change tactics you shouldnt be waiting for the manager to tell you it should be developing naturally as the game goes on. Its embarrassing watching palyers who cant play a simple pass throw their arms up in the air to show the crowd it wasnt my fault I passed the ball in his direction blame him not me. And applauding fans at the end of the match for staying and watching this shite is terrible they should be made to suck the ghost of Frank Beatties cock and have it posted on twitter or whatever...maybe then these angry birds generation c***s would understand how embarrased we are by them.