The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

He sounded utterly unconvincing when asked about it on Sportsound yesterday I thought. He was directly asked whether he was totally commited to staying and he gave a bit of a politician's style answer saying that we should be asking the journalist, not him. He could just have said 'yes, 100%' and it would be case closed.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's away in a few weeks, particularly after the inevitable poor start to the league campaign.

He's an utter simpleton who underestimated Scottish football from day one and is realising that an English League Two select side won't win the league like he expected. You'll be better off without him

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's an utter simpleton who underestimated Scottish football from day one and is realising that an English League Two select side won't win the league like he expected. You'll be better off without him

Have sent you a PM, big boy.

It's remarkably similar to Baraclough with us. A lower league English manager, in last chance saloon, comes in at the turn of the year and narrowly avoids relegation with a play off win that only papers over obvious cracks. Is then allowed to spend the summer signing random League 2 dross, with a few possible gems amongst them.

Assuming LC's team next weekend is the same as this, but with MacDonald back in goals:

• MacDonald - 30 years old - 235 career league appearances
  • Webb - 20 years - 0 apps
  • S.Smith - 30 years - 130 apps
  • Addison - 27 years - 145 apps
  • Boyle - 20 years - 16 apps
  • M.Smith - 20 years - 3 apps
  • Dicker - 30 years - 271 apps
  • Jones - 21 years - 12 apps (2 starts)
  • McKenzie - 22 years - 130 apps
  • Coulibaly - 21 years - 33 apps
  • Magennis - 25 years - 201 apps

WIth a bench of:

• Davies - 21 years - 0 apps
  • Burn - 21 years - 12 apps
  • McFadzean - 22 years - 42 apps
  • Waddington - 19 years - 3 apps
  • Taylor - 18 years - 1 app
  • Bojaj - 20 years - 8 apps
  • Frizzell - 18 years - 10 apps

Half the outfield has next to no experience of first team football.  Among  the experienced players, Steven Smith is bang average and McKenzie has barely improved beyond his first 30 appearances.  And there's no experience to call on from the bench. Am I missing anyone else apart from Greg Kiltie (19 years, 53 apps)?

It's quite startling to look at when compared to the other clubs in the league, the majority of whom have relatively settled squads full of experience.
If LC gets Killie to 10th or above, he'll have done a very good job.

Spoiler

I don't think he'll see to December and will leave the club in a hell of a state.

I don't think he's underestimated the league, he had first hand experience of it in the closing stages of last season. My worry is that he's been told to cut the wage expenditure dramatically - and the young boys are the result.

3 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Assuming LC's team next weekend is the same as this, but with MacDonald back in goals:

WIth a bench of:

Half the outfield has next to no experience of first team football.  Among  the experienced players, Steven Smith is bang average and McKenzie has barely improved beyond his first 30 appearances.  And there's no experience to call on from the bench. Am I missing anyone else apart from Greg Kiltie (19 years, 53 apps)?

It's quite startling to look at when compared to the other clubs in the league, the majority of whom have relatively settled squads full of experience.

Hide contents

I don't think he'll see to December and will leave the club in a hell of a state.

You missed Boyd.

6 minutes ago, Worktheshaft said:

Any Killie fans feeling confident of avoiding the drop this season? Going to be a long season for you IMO. 

I am.

Might be blind faith but I don't really mind our results in the League Cup.  We lost 1 game out of 4 to Morton.  We're never good enough to say with confidence "we'll hump Morton" and then follow through on it.  We should be beating teams like Albion, Clyde and Berwick with ease and obviously that hasn't happened but while I understand it is not pre-season it is very early in the season with 50% of a new team.

It might be a disaster but I have confidence we will stay up by hook or by crook.  I think you'll find a couple of signings coming in between now and the end of August - more experienced players possibly from within Scotland.  Couldn't give you any names I just have a feeling that is what we will do.  

You can't ignore the opposition but we've won 2, drawn 1 and lost 1 from 4 games.  I don't think any Kilmarnock fan expected us to win all 4 games.  I feel more confident now than I did 12 months ago.  

1 hour ago, Worktheshaft said:

Any Killie fans feeling confident of avoiding the drop this season? Going to be a long season for you IMO. 

It would be the easiest thing in the world to join the pessimists re Killies chances this year as it has been for several seasons now. Some are comparing us with Mixus first few months in charge but we had an Eremenko to pull the strings in that team we have no able substitute today.  We can only get better IMO and I have confidence that we will but will it be enough for some fans , probably not. Killie fans are the moaniest bunch of gits in Scotland tbf 

We are a work in progress and if we had a more stable boardroom like that of St J for instance Clark would be given the time that his ideas need.  We need a positive start to the season in the league and if we get that we should be OK . Not every other team in the premiership has had a good pre season so comparisons at this stage are pointless IMO 

Go on Lee prove them all wrong 

I'm not saying it will make a massive difference, but Premier league teams play football differently to lower league teams.  There's more skill (albeit it's still Scottish football so it's all relative) and less about the physical side of the game.

I still think the playaz will gel and we'll end up around mid table come the end of the season, which will be an improvement.

15 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

WIth a bench of:

Reveal hidden contents

Boyd is missing - he obviously has loads of experience.

I think we have a relatively strong experienced spine in MacDonald, Addison, Dicker and Magennis, and Kiltie, McKenzie and Smith are all capable at this level.  Most of the new signings are definitely a big doubt though - I was at the Clyde and Morton games and Jones and Boyle were the only ones who impressed me.  Webb and Waddington were terrible and Burn, Coulibaly and McFadzean were not much better.  Cobain, Bojaj and Martin Smith looked like they had something about them, but were also very raw.

I'm definitely pessimistic about the season ahead, but to be honest I don't think we're any worse off than we were last year.  Last year we had a lot more experience, but guys like of McHattie, Robinson and Hamill were still rubbish and were no doubt earning a lot more than the current squad.

The new signings are a mixed bag, but at least we've tried something new rather than the Scottish football merrygoround of players and managers. If we go down with this team then it won't be much different than if we had kept Locke and his guid honest laddies so nothing much to lose in that respect. At least it's new names to learn to shout at and give a thorough booing. Looks like there could be a few gems amongst the new signings, Coulibaly is my pick of the bunch so far and I think he'll be a goal threat. Jones will have the odd good game and the odd shite game as tricky wingers are prone to. It'll definitely take time to settle them all in, find the best formation, positions and blend. In true Killie style we'll probably limp along all season and then scrape safety.

I think we will be fine. It's a bad start but you have to look at the league cup as pre season because stupidly that's what it was for us. After the first few games we should be gelling now and I honestly think we will. Kris Boyd will be away before Lee is imo

5 minutes ago, Richie95 said:

We've rejected a bid from Oldham for Big Josh. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36945941

He'll be off then.  Hopefully we use the money to buy someone else.  I'd expect to get as least £250k, if thats the going rate for dung like Hemmings then a Euro star like Josh has to be worth at least the same.