The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

FOOTBALLERS are creatures of habit and attempting to change their natural behaviour can end in disaster.

But when you are Lee Clark, an Englishman abroad as it were, given just 13 games to keep a struggling Kilmarnock team in the Ladbrokes SPFL Premiership, trying something different is a hell of a lot better than continuing with what clearly was not working.

Training times, how the dressing room looks, when the players get up in the morning. All of this has been looked at by the new manager who today takes charge of his first game, a home match with Dundee.

“It has been hectic,” admitted Clark. “There are not enough hours in the day to implement all the changes I want in terms of how we do things, training, schedules, things I want to change around the building such as the dressing room and corridors.

“It’s just putting stuff up in the dressing room – photographs of current players who have been doing well and past success stories plus inspirational quotes from top athletes.

“It all comes under the one umbrella. You’ve got to look at all the different sports and sportsmen to find out how they became the best in their field as individuals or as a team. I like to get involved with other sports so I can see what they do to achieve what they do.

“From now on we will train chronologically, which means that we will train at the same time as the kick-off of our next game. We’ve already started doing that, with 3 o’clock sessions for Saturday games and quarter to eight for midweek matches so that the players’ body clocks are in tune.

“When there are no midweek games there will be double sessions. Strength and conditioning training – along with prehab and rehab work - will now be compulsory and we’ll be doing these things so that the players can perform at the highest level they’re capable of.

“Tuesdays and Wednesdays will be intensive and we’ll taper down on Thursdays and Fridays so that they’ll be like caged animals by the time we get to three o’clock on a Saturday.”

Caged is a lot better than being wounded, which is what the Kilmarnock players have played like this season. Clark is a mixture of old and new school, no bad combination, and this way of thinking was inspired by a former manager known for thinking outside the box.

Clark said: "I worked that way when I played under Jean Tigana at Fulham and it made a significant difference to our performances.

“The players won’t have experienced this before. Some of the younger ones will have been staying up too late, playing on X-Boxes and Play Stations so the new system will give them the chance to get the required amount of sleep.”“Our fitness levels became higher and there was a great benefit all round. We became successful very quickly under him. Being allowed to do that was one of the big things for me when I took this job. It’s about chasing the mindset.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/14290416.Long_lie_ins__inspirational_quotes_and_back_shifts_are_in_place_to_help_rescue_Kilmarnock/

Sounds good to me. Anything is worth a shot right now.

It's what is done on the continent

So it must be good :lol: It makes sense if every fixture is played in the evening to avoid the worst of the heat, like in Spain.

It seems barking to do night training because that's not the norm here for full-time teams, but I don't have a problem with what he is proposing in general. Players need to physically peak once or twice a week. If later training sessions genuinely help with that, good on him, Scottish football needs more innovation.

We were told that Locke was into his sports science. The new sports scientist whiz that came in at the end of last season was going to give Killie a competitive edge over opponents, never mind be on par with them. What happened to that?

We were told that Locke was into his sports science. The new sports scientist whiz that came in at the end of last season was going to give Killie a competitive edge over opponents, never mind be on par with them. What happened to that?

The guy left a month or 2 before Locke. Various reasons being spouted. Read some that said that the players weren't reacting and others saying family reasons.

We've had issues with fitness for a good few seasons now

So it must be good :lol: It makes sense if every fixture is played in the evening to avoid the worst of the heat, like in Spain.

It seems barking to do night training because that's not the norm here for full-time teams, but I don't have a problem with what he is proposing in general. Players need to physically peak once or twice a week. If later training sessions genuinely help with that, good on him, Scottish football needs more innovation.

Issues with his wife who was heavily pregnant but had stayed down south. Don't feel comfortable going into any more detail on an open forum as it's not very nice.

Faubert's fitness levels are apparently a massive issue. Clearly got the talent, but with us only got 13 competitive matches left and in no immediate danger, the club doesn't seem to have believed it was worth our while. Kilmarnock are obviously in more danger than us so you'd imagine are more willing to take a gamble on his fitness. He's clearly good enough for this level technically- probably well beyond that - but it's whether you can get him up to speed before the end of the season that's the issue. Think Saints called this one right for our circumstances at the moment.

Edited by Kyle

Faubert's fitness levels are apparently a massive issue. Clearly got the talent, but with us only got 13 competitive matches left and in no immediate danger, the club doesn't seem to have believed it wasn't worth our while. Kilmarnock are obviously in more danger than us so you'd imagine are more willing to take a gamble on his fitness. He's clearly good enough for this level technically- probably well beyond that - but it's whether you can get him up to speed before the end of the season that's the issue. Think Saints called this one right for our circumstances at the moment.

Did Wright not say he wanted to sign him, but Faubert himself was "off to sunnier climes"?

Did Wright not say he wanted to sign him, but Faubert himself was "off to sunnier climes"?

A lot of conflicting stuff out there just now. He said on Saints tv yesterday that we'd decided against offering Faubert a deal because he'd been given more concrete offers elsewhere and he didn't feel he was fit enough for us to justify a deal. That was yesterday afternoon when we announced the signing of Krachunov.

Faubert himself lasted half an hour of an u20s match against Hearts, before struggling and was eventually taken off at half time the week before.

Apparently looked excellent in training, just not fit.