Real Madrid Forward "a luxury"

Sweet Pete

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harpers been playing in the champions league elite youth level games. I watched highlights of him scoring a few goals in it somewhere. Definitely good enough to get in the squad.

A petition to punt Srbagia? Usually against petitions but that comment from him there is absolutely depressing especially at a time when our national team is doing rather well. No way should he be in charge of a national youth team with that attitude. I'd sign it, what a total fud.

Is this Harper any good by the way? He was in the B youth team last season, now progressed to the A youth team. Good stuff, but hardly stellar for a nineteen year old, I would have thought. We have plenty first team players. Not for Real Madrid admittedly..

I'm not sure that is the point, if he wasn't selected simply because he was shite, then fair enough.

But not to select someone at that age group for the reasons stated, it's pretty ridiculous, thought we are trying to look past this.

"we've deliberately taken a squad with more height... That's one of the reasons Jack isn't in."

He absolutely has said Harper isn't tall enough.

Screw Sbragia and his retrograde views. I wonder how many other guys are being missed out upon because they are less than 6 ft 1?

Angus Beith that plays for Hearts is in the squad and he's about 5ft 7

:huh:

This is a classic Scottish National Team post, right here.

Chuck a bunch of names, a vague, unsourced quote, use an example of someone that's too small, use it as an explanation as to why foreigners are better, because there is definitely a reason. A single, fixable issue of having more wee players running about, and a young, in vogue coach, which fixes everything.

I don't know what to make of this drivel. The point is Sbragia is displaying an ignorant, archaic attitude towards football dependent upon physique rather than technique.

I came on to post this after reading it on my lunch break. The fact that he plays for Madrid is actually beyond the point. I thought we were trying to get away from 'tall and strong' as an indication of how good a player is. Yes the attributes are important as it's a physical game but to not select someone because your looking for a team full of 'runners' is a problem.

We should be encouraging more technically gifted, skillful and creative players into our games. When, or if, you watch youth international games almost all of the teams have a creative, technical player who is in this case a 'luxury'. they might not run back 70 yards to make a tackle at the corner flag but they find spaces and are capable of things the big, powerful, runners could never dream of. Encouraging this creativity in part of a team should be what we are aiming for rather than. Big lads who will win balls in the air.

As stated above, there aren't any other Scottish 19 year olds playing for Real Madrid, from memory i think the only Scot to ever play for Madrid did so before the Second World War. So to discourage someone who clearly has an abundance of talent from being involved with the Scotland team shows signs that we might be a long way from where I thought we were going in terms of player development.

Me too, if I was the coach I'd pick him evem if I'd never seen him play for even a second. If he's at Real Madrid he's better than the other players in the squad. If Real Madrid wanted any of them they'd sign them.

He is playing at his age group for the biggest club in the world and at CL level, so for his age group is playing right at the top. That alone is enough to get you into the Scotland squad regardless of anything else.

I don't know what to make of this drivel. The point is Sbragia is displaying an ignorant, archaic attitude towards football dependent upon physique rather than technique.

Refute it then, back up your claims.

Additionally:

'Unfortunately, I don't see enough of him in action. The last time he was with us, he did OK, but I wanted a little more impact. At Real Madrid he can float all over the place, which he does. But with us, he has to be more disciplined.

'He's an exceptionally gifted lad, but sometimes we can't carry him. He can be a luxury sometimes. In some cases, if it's going well, he can be a good luxury.'

But the ex-Manchester United reserve team coach still believes Harper has a big future ahead of him. Sbragia stressed: 'Listen, Jack's time will come. The last time I spoke to him, he wanted to really settle in at Real Madrid and find a place there. That's been a big thing for him.

'I've gone with the boys I've seen most in the last six months. We keep tabs on Jack and see video clips of him. We have people over there who keep their eye on him.

'There are others I've left out like Dominic Thomas at Motherwell who will have gripes that they're not in the squad.

'But I've picked a group of 18 which will hopefully do well for us. It's my opinion and I'm not saying it's right. But the squad I've picked is an extremely strong one.

'I can only pick 18 when I really could have picked 26 or 27. I've gone for a physical side and runners. Hopefully I'm right.

'It's purely tactical and there certainly hasn't been a lack of enthusiasm from Jack about playing for Scotland.'

He expects a physical game against the Austrians, so has gone with a physical, disciplined squad. He's gone with the squad he thinks can do the business and win games, something, which I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining, Billy Stark was roundly panned for failing to do.

There's a lot of people chucking out absolute seethe about a player they've never seen play, and know next to nothing about. Given the slabbering messes people get themselves in to because players are plucked from 'big teams' despite not playing, how is this any different, whatsoever?

Additionally:

He expects a physical game against the Austrians, so has gone with a physical, disciplined squad. He's gone with the squad he thinks can do the business and win games, something, which I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining, Billy Stark was roundly panned for failing to do.

There's a lot of people chucking out absolute seethe about a player they've never seen play, and know next to nothing about. Given the slabbering messes people get themselves in to because players are plucked from 'big teams' despite not playing, how is this any different, whatsoever?

Isn't the seethe more to do with Sbragia's old fashioned mentality? i'm of the opinion that youth football should be more to do with developing talent instead of doing what you can to scrape a win, also, with the way football is played nowadays, is 'physicality and runners' really the way to go?

Over the years there's always been players in the U19s and U21s from Rangers and Celtic(not a dig at those clubs) who no ones heard of and haven't kicked a ball for the 1st team.

We've got a guy at Real Madrid, fucking Real, who can't get in the squad because he's not tall enough :lol:

Not even worth a place on the bench?

Get this old p***k to f**k.

Additionally:

Watching and following him in the UEFA Youth League. I've seen more of Harper playing than I have of Oliver McBurnie playing for Chester for example. I'd be astounded if McBurnie is, or turns out to be, a better player than Harper.

The one argument I could understand is that some of the players in the team (Henderson, Walsh, Soutter) are playing for/part of their clubs first team set up. But with the forwards they are not. Harry Cardwell for example is playing for Readings youth team. This level of football is no where near the UEFA Youth league.

I get that the team has been picked in expectation of a physical encounter with the Austrians, but rather than trying to go and have a physical battle and see who has the bigger players - like what happens at under 9s all of the country. Should we not be trying to coach our teams from the bottom up to try and improve the technical side of their game?

Isn't the seethe more to do with Sbragia's old fashioned mentality? i'm of the opinion that youth football should be more to do with developing talent instead of doing what you can to scrape a win, also, with the way football is played nowadays, is 'physicality and runners' really the way to go?

Talent isn't going to suddenly flourish because you've rocked up for a game against Austria's under-19s. He's had him around the squad, he's had the experience, he'll be back, just at this point, he's not the guy that fits.

I understand what you mean about developing talent, but is developing talent just making up the numbers and losing, but having some nice touches, or is it learning to win games, at a different level?

Given the way football is played? Did you see the Barcelona team on Sunday? Physicality/ability isn't an either/or situation. Teams press, teams close, that's how many teams play now, and so yeah, physicality and runners is the way to go, just physical runners with good ability, which is the challenge...

Watching and following him in the UEFA Youth League. I've seen more of Harper playing than I have of Oliver McBurnie playing for Chester for example. I'd be astounded if McBurnie is, or turns out to be, a better player than Harper.

The one argument I could understand is that some of the players in the team (Henderson, Walsh, Soutter) are playing for/part of their clubs first team set up. But with the forwards they are not. Harry Cardwell for example is playing for Readings youth team. This level of football is no where near the UEFA Youth league.

I get that the team has been picked in expectation of a physical encounter with the Austrians, but rather than trying to go and have a physical battle and see who has the bigger players - like what happens at under 9s all of the country. Should we not be trying to coach our teams from the bottom up to try and improve the technical side of their game?

You're vastly ahead of me, then, as I've literally never seen the boy kick a ball.

All valid points re: the forwards, and I wouldn't argue with someone that's actually seen him. As I said to the earlier post though, physicality/ability isn't a binary choice. We can have players with cracking ability too, and get run over the top of, its finding a balance. Yes, we sbhould be coaching greater ability, but three days with the under-19s isn't going to be the lightbulb moment for Harper, as opposed to the 5 years he's got at Madrid. Sbragia's 'height' comment is one bit out of a collection of things he's said, but the one that people seem particularly hung up on.

Archived