Real Madrid Forward "a luxury"

Sweet Pete

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A guy on the radio (missed who it was) made a really good point. He said Sbragia can't expect a finished article, it's a youth tournament. If he wants him to track more, ask him to do it, and actually do some coaching. It's Sbragia's job to help develop the player.

Utterly depressing the reasons he hasn't been selected. Sbragia should be getting his jotters for this. Even if Scotland were to win this tournament, it's a development squad, and we have chosen not to select a very bright prospect because he apparently isn't big enough, and the coaches haven't seen enough of him. It shouldn't just be about the winning at this level.

Sbragia said: “At Real Madrid, Jack can float all over the place, which he does. But with us he has to be more disciplined. He’s an exceptionally gifted lad but we can’t carry him. He can be a luxury sometimes.

“We’ve deliberately gone for more height in our squad. That’s one of the reasons why Jack isn’t in it.

“I’ve gone for a physical side and runners. Hopefully I’m proved right in Austria. It’s purely a tactical decision.”

Managed to sum up all that is wrong with Scottish Football neatly in three quotes.

The minute we start giving folk jotters for not selecting a player on good faith is the minute we're in a absurder position than not selecting the player. At least wait until the outcome of the Austria game ffs.

I've only just got wind of this story and I'm sure most of it has been covered. I have never seen the lad play but the club he is at is a prety good indicator of where his potential is seen - if he was ok but not great he'd be at Malaga etc

I personally think this stinks of a wee message to the lad that just because he's at Real Madrid doesn't mean he's made it and perhaps Sbragia doesn't like his attitude etc. Not good enough for me. If he's a luxury player not suited to this match have him on the bench as a different option. The complete exclusion smacks of hammering home his place.

If Sbragia hasn't seen enough of him thats hardly the young lads fault - it's the gaffers job to go and watch him or get the videos - Real Madrid will be recording these games and analysing them from every angle so it will be available if he asked for it in his guise as national team coach. It's basically sending a message to young Scottish players that taking a move abroad at a young age will hinder your chances, regardless of who this club is.

The flip side of this is that if the powers that be are demanding results over developent at this level then perhaps its a wider problem than just Ricky Sbragia?

A guy on the radio (missed who it was) made a really good point. He said Sbragia can't expect a finished article, it's a youth tournament. If he wants him to track more, ask him to do it, and actually do some coaching. It's Sbragia's job to help develop the player.

Utterly depressing the reasons he hasn't been selected. Sbragia should be getting his jotters for this. Even if Scotland were to win this tournament, it's a development squad, and we have chosen not to select a very bright prospect because he apparently isn't big enough, and the coaches haven't seen enough of him. It shouldn't just be about the winning at this level.

That was Graham Hunter, if it was 5live you were listening to, he made a few very good points, he also mentioned that every year madrid have a cull of the youth system and release loads of players . Harper's been there for 6 years, so they must rate him

The minute we start giving folk jotters for not selecting a player on good faith is the minute we're in a absurder position than not selecting the player. At least wait until the outcome of the Austria game ffs.

I don't think the outcome of the Austria game is the point. I doubt many people care. At this level it's all about the development of the player with a view to moving into the first team. To overlook a player doing well at Real Madrid is madness.

If we win it doesn't mean he was right. Its about developing players, and maybe we'd have won more comfortably with Harper in the side.

Is anyone on twitter? Does Harper have an account? Post a message to him saying keep the faith, come on here and read how much support you've got etc

That's the point though, he shouldn't be selecting the player on good faith. He should know all about the player, and how to get the best out of him. Not selecting a player based on size is ludicrous. As I said, the outcome of the game isn't all that matters in youth football. The development of the players is, arguably, more important than winning games.

That was Graham Hunter, if it was 5live you were listening to, he made a few very good points, he also mentioned that every year madrid have a cull of the youth system and release loads of players . Harper's been there for 6 years, so they must rate him

Yeah it was 5live so must have been him. I thought he spoke a lot of sense.

The biggest irony after watching that footage is that 1) He's actually quite a big lad. 2) He's good in the air.

So rather than it tell us that Sbragia is a dinosaur it actually tells us that he's fucking incompetent and hasn't even bothered to watch him.

P45.

Is it right that the last game he played for Scotland was against Belgium on Aug 12, and he hasn't been picked for the last 5, not including the Austria game? Surprised this is suddenly news if so.

I don't think the outcome of the Austria game is the point. I doubt many people care. At this level it's all about the development of the player with a view to moving into the first team. To overlook a player doing well at Real Madrid is madness.

Beat me to it. Hands up who genuinely care about the Austria result, versus us having first team players capable of getting me to somewhere warm where I can wear a kilt and dance in fountains.

Is it right that the last game he played for Scotland was against Belgium on Aug 12, and he hasn't been picked for the last 5, not including the Austria game? Surprised this is suddenly news if so.

For me it's not the fact he hasn't been picked, it's the shitey excuses that Sbragia has came out with as to why he hasn't been picked that I've got an issue with.

Archived