John Barnes - "It's cos I is black innit?"

BBC are wrong to say that Barnes is the only black guy to manage a Scottish Club Dave Smith had a spell at Montrose in the mid 90s after a spell with Whitehill Welfare.

As well as Marcio Maximo at Livingston.

Shoddy journalism.

• 1 year later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40561492

English Football League clubs should face sanctions if they do not agree to interview black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) candidates for coaching jobs, says the chair of Kick It Out.

Lord Herman Ouseley praised an EFL pilot of the 'Rooney Rule' at academy level, but said representation of BAME people remains "shameful".

Eleven academy jobs were given to BAME candidates last season.

Ouseley believes the whole professional game needs "root-and-branch reform"

All 72 EFL clubs signed up to the 'Rooney Rule' pilot, which means they must include at least one black or minority ethnic candidate on the interview shortlist for an academy post if such an application is received.

Ten clubs also voluntarily chose to extend that to first-team roles.

Of those 10, only Birmingham, Chesterfield, Coventry and Wolves changed managers during the 2016-17 season. Those teams made eight managerial changes during the season but Ouseley said there were only two occasions when the rule was put into effect and a BAME coach was interviewed.

I still find it mad that they are pushing this rule, if anything, to me it almost seems worse that clubs will only interview a black candidate because they have to. Not because he/she has the correct skills for the job.

Maybe I am being naive to it, but I honestly believe if there was a black manager who was good enough for a job and proved to be better than other applicants, he would get the job. I can't imagine anyone now, factoring their bloody skin colour into it.

1 hour ago, LondonHMFC said:

I still find it mad that they are pushing this rule, if anything, to me it almost seems worse that clubs will only interview a black candidate because they have to. Not because he/she has the correct skills for the job.

Maybe I am being naive to it, but I honestly believe if there was a black manager who was good enough for a job and proved to be better than other applicants, he would get the job. I can't imagine anyone now, factoring their bloody skin colour into it.

This, 100%.  I imagine there are boardrooms in this country and others who will let some prejudice creep in, but is adding a forced quota really the answer to that?  Surely if you have a case where that's happening, and they're forced to interview one, they'll just refuse to give him the job anyway.  In that case, what have we really achieved other than tokenism?  Does someone in a minority (outside of John Barnes) really want to get an interview under these circumstances?  Would they feel a sense that they were good enough, or would it always eat away at them that they were literally only handed the chance because of their skin colour?

It's a similar idea to policies I've seen at places of work I've had in the past with women - lots of extra help for them to really push on.  Sexist against women to suggest they need that extra help, and sexist against guys who will surely just be fine cos they're lads, right guys?  Hopefully one day we get to the point where the best person gets hired, regardless of what colour they are, what sex they are or who they want to pump.

So if some random black guy who's won a few league titles on Football Manager decides for a laugh to apply for a managerial position, and he's the only black applicant, he'd get an interview? Potential for serious lols there.

On a more serious note, genuine question, are there legions of highly talented BAME coaches sitting about out of work? I'd have thought football was the one sport where being good enough is all you need to get a job/game.

Surely the best way forward would be to have a proper transparent recruitment process instead of agents toadying up to chairmen behind closed doors leading to the usual merry go round of clueless no marks too thick to be sky pundits relegating jobber provincial clubs that nobody outside of their limited fanbase cares about.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Africa Cup of Nations: Tournament is being 'disrespected', says former England striker Ian Wright - BBC Sport

Europeans in caring more about European Championship than African version shocker

I wonder if Wright had anything to say last month when several South American players were stuck in a controversy about going to play for their countries.

16 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Africa Cup of Nations: Tournament is being 'disrespected', says former England striker Ian Wright - BBC Sport

Europeans in caring more about European Championship than African version shocker

I wonder if Wright had anything to say last month when several South American players were stuck in a controversy about going to play for their countries.

I was going to post about what was the concern shown for media coverage of the South American championships and Asian tourneys 

I honestly think most of the issue is that the tournament is played whilst the club games still go ahead, meaning players end up missing games for their clubs.  If it was an international break type window now, I would expect clubs would not be acting this way.

Not that it’s right to do that, it is disrespectful, but I can see clubs thinking they can press players into not going. I think it does happen a little bit in Europe but not to the same degree, because it doesn’t need to happen here - club football stops for internationals.