What Class are you?

Class  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Class exists. It may not be the "3 class system" but by god when you learn to write CV to dodge the obvious give aways without lying your job prospects jump up. My ex was a senior researcher in psychology at a couple of Russel group unis and help rewrite my CV, phones started ringing just by avoiding confirming I had done my undergrad at a former polly.

If everyone is equal how come I meet so few weegies or Newcastle folk when out on the razz in central london compared with those who went to private school in Scotland or the NE of England?

The system is gamed against you. Folk from schools in shity council schemes have a much smaller chance of getting into Russell Group uni, even though people from week schools with good results massively out perform those form good schools with the same results. Kids from wealthy families can afford to do the whole unpaid intern thing in a way my folk could not afford to keep me. When you are climbing up the ladder its easier if you know a guy who is mates with your mate form school to know a job is happening.

Any c*nt who tells you it is a meritocracy is a c*nt.

I still managed to "climb the ladder" despite being thrown out of a shite school and going to shitty colleges before making it to a good University.....not saying "the old boys network" doesn't exist but making it out of the gutter isn't out of reach.

Disclaimer: I say this as someone that attended Uni prior to tuition fees being introduced......something I am dead against.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That BBC test is a load of old tosh.

'Established middle class' despite listening to hip-hop and Indie/Rock, Watching Sport, knowing a postie and a shop assistant. Think the main points on the test are clearly owning a house and combined income, all other points are there to make it seem more in depth.

I would never consider myself 'middle class'. I'm 2 years out of uni and me and the misses both have decent jobs and as such managed to get a decent mortgage. I'm no where near middle class - she might be though.

I'm probably as middle class as they get.

Both parents hold multiple University degrees, their careers are pretty middle class, they sent me to independent secondary school (albeit on a scholarship), we live in very middle class areas of Aberdeen and Glasgow, and my work history is almost exclusively in law and education.

My dad's parents were a University law professor and the daughter of an Army Officer. My dad's dad owned a tailor's in Aberdeen after the Great War. My mum's parents were probably more working class, given my grandad left school at 14 and after a stint on a fruit and veg stall and in the Navy in Malta he made his living by starting up a number of different businesses in technology, manufacturing and childcare. My gran went to University and has a modern languages degree but her dad was a shipbuilder in the war and she mainly ran a delicatessen in Markinsch when she wasn't looking after the kids.

I think, particularly in Scotland, people are far too hesitant just to admit that they're basically middle class. It's an almost inverse snobbery thing. Being middle class doesn't invalidate your life experiences, nor does it mean that you're incapable of understanding the challenges of the most disadvantaged in society. It's the sign of a pretty successful society when most people are or are capable of becoming, middle class within a generation or two.

Both parents hold multiple University degrees, their careers are pretty middle class, they sent me to independent secondary school (albeit on a scholarship), we live in very middle class areas of Aberdeen and Glasgow, and my work history is almost exclusively in law and education.

My dad's parents were a University law professor and the daughter of an Army Officer. My dad's dad owned a tailor's in Aberdeen after the Great War. My mum's parents were probably more working class, given my grandad left school at 14 and after a stint on a fruit and veg stall and in the Navy in Malta he made his living by starting up a number of different businesses in technology, manufacturing and childcare. My gran went to University and has a modern languages degree but her dad was a shipbuilder in the war and she mainly ran a delicatessen in Markinsch when she wasn't looking after the kids.

I think, particularly in Scotland, people are far too hesitant just to admit that they're basically middle class. It's an almost inverse snobbery thing. Being middle class doesn't invalidate your life experiences, nor does it mean that you're incapable of understanding the challenges of the most disadvantaged in society. It's the sign of a pretty successful society when most people are or are capable of becoming, middle class within a generation or two.

Understand the challenges of the most disadvantaged in society and not give a f**k. Real class.

Ad Lib; dr

Quick, there's Lord Snooty. Get his dinner money.

Archived