What Class are you?

Class  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Consider myself working class but live in the posh part of town, in amongst the biggest tosspots imaginable. The fact a toerag like me lives beside them seems to piss them off greatly, which pleases me immensely

go on, I'm curious, upper, lower, or even middle middle class, would still be middle class no?

Grimbo

I am neither the elite nor the "squeezed middle", ergo there needs to be another option.

Carrots dipped in Buckfast washed down with houmous - Confused

Kinda.

Just finished some chips with tomato sauce over a pint, but had hummus with carrots and various other things last week, and wine at the weekend. I suppose I appeal to all people.

I am neither the elite nor the "squeezed middle", ergo there needs to be another option.

It's just a simple poll, only the middle class would want to confuse it. Never happy eh?

I might add a working class lottery winner option though. I can smell the seethe ha ha.

Grimbo

Where would the likes of John Terry and Ryan Giggs come in? They've worked hard for their cash and are absolutely minted but between them they like to dabble in racism, have sex with their friend's/brother's partners and sound as though they're straight out of their local scheme.

Where would the likes of John Terry and Ryan Giggs come in? They've worked hard for their cash and are absolutely minted but between them they like to dabble in racism, have sex with their friend's/brother's partners and sound as though they're straight out of their local scheme.

When they look in the mirror is it a working class face looking back at them?

I'd say so. I think that their values would still be the same whatever class they were.

Grimbo

I don't think it can be repeated often enough.

Money doesn't equal class.

Class doesn't automatically equal money.

John Terry is working class or probably even underclass and no amount of money will change that.

If that f**k, John Terry, is working class then I'm definitely middle class!

I don't know that there were any agreed upon conventions as to what constituted "upper", "middle" or "working" class but from what I understand, it generally went along the lines of:

Working class - Manual laborer or clerical employee

Middle class - Owner. Whether it be factory, coal mine, railway, whatever.

Upper class - Inherited wealth. No need to work.

There were subtle shades in between leading to such terms as "Lower middle class" and so on but everybody "knew" which class they were in because they were born into it. And there you stayed. Money, or the lack thereof had nothing to do with it.

For example: If you were working class but were bright and hard-working, you might get a job in a bank. However, no matter how good you were, you would never become the manager. You simply wouldn't be considered for the position.

The bank manager wouldn't dream of socializing with a working class person, nor would the upper classes want anything to do with him, other than as an employee.

An upper class person might be in debt up to their armpits but getting a job simply wouldn't enter their heads. They would still look down on anyone who worked for a living, no matter how successful they might be.

Like a few have said on here so far, I'm not actually sure the traditional 3 class system exists anymore. Sure there's the upper middle/upper class that send their kids to Eton et al to "network"

Me personally, I'm from working class stock (Mother a Nurse, Father a Mechanic) but through their hard work and the opportunities offered to both myself & my Sister we are able to command middle class salaries.

Does that make us middle class......not so sure.

Class exists. It may not be the "3 class system" but by god when you learn to write CV to dodge the obvious give aways without lying your job prospects jump up. My ex was a senior researcher in psychology at a couple of Russel group unis and help rewrite my CV, phones started ringing just by avoiding confirming I had done my undergrad at a former polly.

If everyone is equal how come I meet so few weegies or Newcastle folk when out on the razz in central london compared with those who went to private school in Scotland or the NE of England?

The system is gamed against you. Folk from schools in shity council schemes have a much smaller chance of getting into Russell Group uni, even though people from week schools with good results massively out perform those form good schools with the same results. Kids from wealthy families can afford to do the whole unpaid intern thing in a way my folk could not afford to keep me. When you are climbing up the ladder its easier if you know a guy who is mates with your mate form school to know a job is happening.

Any c*nt who tells you it is a meritocracy is a c*nt.

Archived