Yet another Paul Paton topic deleted?

Jesus...

The proceedings against Paton are still active. He's to stand trial in October before a jury.

Do you genuinely believe that a speculative post on a football forum presents a "substantial risk of prejudicing" this upcoming hearing?

That is the only grounds that a statutory contempt action would be pursued under. There are defence that the posts would constitute a discussion of current affairs, particularly with the thread being created on the day the news broke about Patons plea etc. It's clearly applicable to this boards discussion with the fact of significant public figures involved parties being Premiership footballers and the discussion taking place on a Premiership football forum.

Common law contempt would further not be applicable as there was no attempt to try and influence the public perception of the individual - in the 1st thread in particular the tongue in cheek subject title was as close as you are going to get in your quest to find something to wet your knickers about and it is clearly an expression of opinion as opposed to putting pressure on for a particular outcome.

I do get the need for these topics to be monitored but there appears to be an immediate fear factor with incidents of this nature which rather than promoting discussion of current affairs as a message board should, act to deter people from discussing issues. Unless there is 100% bona fide content which puts the website (and poster) in danger of prosecution then there is no need to remove threads. The approach of stifling any conversation just because it might possibly escalate is IMO prohibitive.

I created the initial thread as a wind up and was a bit miffed it was closed with no explanation given, it seems that's the standard of moderation here and as I enjoy my time posting on here I shall suck it up. I have absolutely no belief that any alleged parties will (nor indeed should) go to prison even in the event of a guilty verdict for the alleged offence considering the nature of it as reported and compare with other more recent cases of a similar (albeit more serious) nature.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you genuinely believe that a speculative post on a football forum presents a "substantial risk of prejudicing" this upcoming hearing?

That is the only grounds that a statutory contempt action would be pursued under. There are defence that the posts would constitute a discussion of current affairs, particularly with the thread being created on the day the news broke about Patons plea etc. It's clearly applicable to this boards discussion with the fact of significant public figures involved parties being Premiership footballers and the discussion taking place on a Premiership football forum.

Common law contempt would further not be applicable as there was no attempt to try and influence the public perception of the individual - in the 1st thread in particular the tongue in cheek subject title was as close as you are going to get in your quest to find something to wet your knickers about and it is clearly an expression of opinion as opposed to putting pressure on for a particular outcome.

I do get the need for these topics to be monitored but there appears to be an immediate fear factor with incidents of this nature which rather than promoting discussion of current affairs as a message board should, act to deter people from discussing issues. Unless there is 100% bona fide content which puts the website (and poster) in danger of prosecution then there is no need to remove threads. The approach of stifling any conversation just because it might possibly escalate is IMO prohibitive.

I created the initial thread as a wind up and was a bit miffed it was closed with no explanation given, it seems that's the standard of moderation here and as I enjoy my time posting on here I shall suck it up. I have absolutely no belief that any alleged parties will (nor indeed should) go to prison even in the event of a guilty verdict for the alleged offence considering the nature of it as reported and compare with other more recent cases of a similar (albeit more serious) nature.

You're probably right although you've overlooked the more likely problem which is that the thread (and the hilarious posts it would have encouraged) would almost certainly have been libelous. But then every second post on this forum is probably libelous, you nonce.

TLDNR.

FTFY

Very good.

Your big, long, boring post does make sense, pal. But the law hasn't caught up with the internet yet. Simple as that.

If you want to debate the rights and wrongs of the law, I'll doubtless be on your side. But as it stands, f**k ye. ;)

Very good.

Your big, long, boring post does make sense, pal. But the law hasn't caught up with the internet yet. Simple as that.

If you want to debate the rights and wrongs of the law, I'll doubtless be on your side. But as it stands, f**k ye. ;)

I'm glad we have reached a mutual accord. I knew you'd come to my way of thinking after seeing you derry'd out your nut in Kilmarnock.

Now away and tak yir puss for a shite. ;)

Thanks.

I'm glad we have reached a mutual accord. I knew you'd come to my way of thinking after seeing you derry'd out your nut in Kilmarnock.

Now away and tak yir puss for a shite. ;)

Thanks.

My best pals are Dees. My lass is an Arab. I'm a Saintee.

I'm not Derry'd out my nut. I'm Taysided out my nut.

I'm also cool as f**k.

My best pals are Dees. My lass is an Arab. I'm a Saintee.

I'm not Derry'd out my nut. I'm Taysided out my nut.

I'm also cool as f**k.

You are also very good at singing Dundee songs ;)

I will agree you are cool though as I'm magnanimous. Enjoy your evening!

Archived