EU Referendum

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow; that voting policy is shocking. It'll make no difference to the inevitable 'staying-in' vote, but it's a nice statement of insularity to let Johnny Foreigner know that we'll be staying in under protest. And by 'nice', I mean pathetic.

Not often we get the chance to do it, but a big pat on the back to Scotland for last September, I think.

Quite surprised they would go down that route when Cameron favours the in side to be honest.

He kens it isn't going to matter, and it'll go down well with the racists Eurosceptics in the party.

The irony of EU nationals not being able to vote to retain EU membership, when so many of them voted no to independence as they believed the bullshit coming from better together about EU membership isn't lost on me.

Once all of this gets going in anger I imagine lots of them will be shitting themselves.

Oooooft.

At least this is a win-win situation. If it's an "out", Scotland will be independent before the decade is out. If it's an "in", the racists will be finished.

Pleasing.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/24/eu-young-people-vote-referendum

Can't see this group getting a vote either...or will they?

Once again I would admit that I had no idea there were different 'franchises' for voting in different elections. I find it bizarre but I also think it will help the Tories; they will have a quite credible arguement of "well nobody has challenged it until now". (I don't know if anyone has actually challenged it but it's hardly been headline news if they have)

But by this same token unless the Tories change the rules to include 16 & 17 year olds in the GE franchise then I think they will be excluded from voting. I don't think the tories will want to start messing about with the franchise grouping as it will simply open a can of worms on the other constituent parts.

I don't think you should be allowed to vote unless you can list 10 things in the Rome and Maastricht Treaties and later amendments that you either agree or disagree with. I don't think there has ever been a vote where people have been so ignorant about what they're voting about. I include myself in that.

I don't think you should be allowed to vote unless you can list 10 things in the Rome and Maastricht Treaties and later amendments that you either agree or disagree with. I don't think there has ever been a vote where people have been so ignorant about what they're voting about. I include myself in that.

pass :lol:

So next Indy referendum can we ban all English and Europeans from voting too?

That'd be great

The problem with English people being able to vote, is that English Unionists believe they have a moral right to vote on Scottish independence far more than English separatists do. Next time, the point really needs to be rammed down the throats of English separatists: English Unionists are voting no, so you have to vote yes to counteract that.

So next Indy referendum can we ban all English and Europeans from voting too?

That'd be great

That's the logic.

NO foreigners. But lots of White Brits who don't live here or pay taxes here can come back to vote.

And some people still say us IndyRef folk are narrow minded and parochial.

So we are going to have a situation where someone such as Christian Allard won't be allowed to vote despite living here for 25 years, brought up a family here and being an MSP

So we are going to have a situation where someone such as Christian Allard won't be allowed to vote despite living here for 25 years, brought up a family here and being an MSP

Surely he qualifies for UK citizenship based on his wife/kids?

Archived