Next UK Labour Leader

FlyerTon

Next UK Labour Leader  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you are advocating disenfranchising large sections of the population for 15 to 20 years. That's not democracy. 

All governments should be elected on the principle of one person, one vote in constituencies of similar size. It's old fashioned but it works. The alternatives are totalitarian or fascist.

This is not a normal democracy it is 4 countries joined together in political union. You obviously favour 3 countries being disenfranchised all the time

This is not a normal democracy it is 4 countries joined together in political union. You obviously favour 3 countries being disenfranchised all the time

I support independence and democracy but accepted the result of the referendum, unlike the raging losers here.

I support independence and democracy but accepted the result of the referendum, unlike the raging losers here.

I don't see anyone advocating a breakaway state, so I think everyone is accepting the result. That doesn't mean we have to stop making the case for independence.

You don't seem to respect democracy as much as you claim.

Dorlomin's inadvertently given up exactly why Labour are fucked when he said Corbyn should f**k off because his politics don't appeal to voters in places like Leamington or Corby. Politics isn't for people that actually believe in anything, it's purely about convincing the lucky few that live in a small number of marginals who get to decide the direction of politics in the UK. Now obviously Labour are right when they say they can't change anything if they're not in power but the game's a bogey if you have to emulate the Tories to get power in the UK. So it makes sense for us to f**k off and pray that we don't follow suit up here.

If they've got voters like you they probably should be disenfranchised TBH.

Some unionists want to shift the goalposts when they do get what they want.

The worst winners in human history.

It always comes back to 2014 - it's the life raft at which countless regionalist hands grasp: "but Scotland wants to be governed like this". Let's see for how long.

Why? Why are you supporting something that you claim has been settled and is a done deal? Why aren't you accepting the will of the people, etc

Why? Why are you supporting something that you claim has been settled and is a done deal? Why aren't you accepting the will of the people, etc

I never said that the issue of independence had been settled. I said that, despite supporting independence, that I accepted the result of the 2014 referendum.

It's time to move on until another referendum is held. Sturgeon's recent comments suggest that it will be several years away. Salmond rushed into the last one without a comprehensive and credible plan that enable Project Fear to succeed. Sturgeon won't make the same mistake.

I never said that the issue of independence had been settled. I said that, despite supporting independence, that I accepted the result of the 2014 referendum.

It's time to move on until another referendum is held. Sturgeon's recent comments suggest that it will be several years away. Salmond rushed into the last one without a comprehensive and credible plan that enable Project Fear to succeed. Sturgeon won't make the same mistake.

Everyone who isn't demanding UDI (a few fringe nutters, I would assume) is respecting the result of 2014. In fact, since independence was scheduled for last week, it's pretty much a done deal - we didn't achieve and aren't in the process of negotiating Scottish statehood.

Agree that Sturgeon will have a more measured and tentative approach, but Salmond had no choice but to hold a referendum. If he hadn't held one after years of campaigning for one (and achieving a majority), independence would be far deader at the moment than it is right now. If he has said, "we've won our majority but I'm not going to hold a referendum on our longest-standing goal", it would have been leapt on by the world as tacit admission that even the man at the head of the SNP thought independence was a joke. The timing of the SNP majority and the global financial disaster was bad luck.

Everyone who isn't demanding UDI (a few fringe nutters, I would assume) is respecting the result of 2014. In fact, since independence was scheduled for last week, it's pretty much a done deal - we didn't achieve and aren't in the process of negotiating Scottish statehood.

Agree that Sturgeon will have a more measured and tentative approach, but Salmond had no choice but to hold a referendum. If he hadn't held one after years of campaigning for one (and achieving a majority), independence would be far deader at the moment than it is right now. If he has said, "we've won our majority but I'm not going to hold a referendum on our longest-standing goal", it would have been leapt on by the world as tacit admission that even the man at the head of the SNP thought independence was a joke. The timing of the SNP majority and the global financial disaster was bad luck.

That time scale was one of the issues that undermined the credibility of the White Paper. Within that period, Salmond would have to had

a) negotiate and agree all outstanding issues with HMG, departments, agencies, regulatory bodies and other quangos

b) deliver a currency solution that protected Scotland's banking industry

c) deliver a credible plan for EU membership

whilst Cameron and Osborne were "renegotiating" rUK's EU membership.

All within 18 months. A doddle!

Aye right!

That time scale was one of the issues that undermined the credibility of the White Paper. Within that period, Salmond would have to had

a) negotiate and agree all outstanding issues with HMG, departments, agencies, regulatory bodies and other quangos

b) deliver a currency solution that protected Scotland's banking industry

c) deliver a credible plan for EU membership

whilst Cameron and Osborne were "renegotiating" rUK's EU membership.

All within 18 months. A doddle!

Aye right!

Currency was always their Achilles heal - something I think has been quietly acknowledged since.

Archived