Next UK Labour Leader

FlyerTon

Next UK Labour Leader  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There is little scope for some fantasy new voters turning up and propelling Labour to power. The kind of young and urban voter than loves Corbyn is not really a big factor here. The swing voters are people who voted Blair 3 times, have enough that they fear more radical change but feel that society does not care enough for the less well off. 

I acknowledge this poll was taken in December, but it does highlight the risks, as you allude to, of running with a 'non-voter strategy': 

post-65248-0-45068600-1459203129_thumb.p

Given everything from Duncan Smith's resignation to Osborne's shambolic tax credits u-turn to the Tories' self-indulgent leadership psychodrama, Labour should be comfortably ahead in the polls just now - by around or above ten points. Then again, Miliband held double figure leads at this stage in his leadership and here we are now. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The next election will be decided by voters in places like Corby, Stevenage and Warwick and Leamington. 

David Cameron f*cked a pig and is still ahead in the mid term polls. Corbyn is Labours IDS. Brain dead and repeats the same old tunes the core activists want to hear but is completely tone deaf to the people who actually decide UK parliamentary elections. 

Does this include Scottish voters or is it an England only decision?

I'm still bemused by the mentality of Scots that chirp about elections being decided in Leamington, Corby, etc. Is that something that pleases them? Does it make them feel that Scotland stands a proud equal to the other regions of the UK whose votes do not decide elections? I suppose anything that detracts from that repulsive sense of Scottish statehood that has them throwing up into their Union Jacks...

and that is why I asked him that.

I basically agree with jupe1407:

Who cares?
They're a shambling irrelevance up here and unlikely to get a sniff in England for years. f**k 'em.

But until we are independent I suppose I'll have to take a passing interest in the political scene down south.

see you can't address the point so have to deflect by making a joke. He's got you bang to rights there. All britnats are the Same their position is fundamentally dishonest and intellectually bankrupt.

What points?

I'm still bemused by the mentality of Scots that chirp about elections being decided in Leamington, Corby, etc

How truly fucking difficult is it to understand that you live in a westminister system of first past the post and do not vote for the current ruling party  in large numbers so will not be able to vote them out. 

You had a vote to leave the UK and did not vote for it.

Someone tries to explain the main oppositions problems to getting into power on a thread about the main opposition and the toys come out the cot because you do not have many tory seats to vote out of power? Weapon grade stupidity.

What is someone supposed to say on a thread about the UK wide Labour party? 

:unsure:

Simpletons. 

What points?

How truly fucking difficult is it to understand that you live in a westminister system of first past the post and do not vote for the current ruling party  in large numbers so will not be able to vote them out. 

You had a vote to leave the UK and did not vote for it.

Someone tries to explain the main oppositions problems to getting into power on a thread about the main opposition and the toys come out the cot because you do not have many tory seats to vote out of power? Weapon grade stupidity.

What is someone supposed to say on a thread about the UK wide Labour party? 

:unsure:

Simpletons.6

actually I think we ponds grade stupidity is the rant I red quoted from you a week ago.

We are aware of the electoral system and do not qpprove of it.

Hispoint was about socttish people having elections decidedfor them Iin corby and Leamington, which you have completely dodged. And I'm afraid youlost the rreferendum' isn't good enough, we'd like you to justify it.

I'm still bemused by the mentality of Scots that chirp about elections being decided in Leamington, Corby, etc. Is that something that pleases them? Does it make them feel that Scotland stands a proud equal to the other regions of the UK whose votes do not decide elections? I suppose anything that detracts from that repulsive sense of Scottish statehood that has them throwing up into their Union Jacks...

It's not really an England/Scotland thing, it's more a FPTP thing. If Scotland was independent and using the same system, a Scottish election would also most likely be decided by a few swing seats.

This thread is about the Labour party leader.I explained the problems they faced getting into power.  Can anyone understand this?
This thread is about the Labour party leader.I explained the problems they faced getting into power.  Can anyone understand this?
yes, and an observation was made that this demonstrates the absurdity of union and asking why scots should accept this which you are avoiding

yes, and an observation was made that this demonstrates the absurdity of union and asking why scots should accept this which you are avoiding

So when there is a Labour government Norfolk should break away because it is absurd.

When the Democrats are in the White House Alabama should secede from the US because its absurd not too?

Scotland had a vote, for better or for worse they made a choice. Now no one is allowed to discuss the Labour leaderships problems with getting back into power because Nationalism and Reasons?

So when there is a Labour government Norfolk should break away because it is absurd.

When the Democrats are in the White House Alabama should secede from the US because its absurd not too?

Scotland had a vote, for better or for worse they made a choice. Now no one is allowed to discuss the Labour leaderships problems with getting back into power because Nationalism and Reasons?

britnat Bingo! Comparing Scotland to regions of other countries well done tick that one off your list.

I suspect if England was currently being governed by a party with less than 2% of the seats in England the UKwould be over before you could sing one verse of rule britannia

britnat 

Oh god.

I suspect if England was currently being governed by a party with less than 2% of the seats in England 

England has about 90% of the UKs population. Do you not understand this? Some parts are massively Labour. Some parts massively Tory.

You really think Newcastle, Manchester and Liverpool are returning Tory majorities? 

Oh god.

England has about 90% of the UKs population. Do you not understand this? Some parts are massively Labour. Some parts massively Tory.

You really think Newcastle, Manchester and Liverpool are returning Tory majorities?

I Really don't give a f**k. Once again you compare Scotland to bits of England. When four countries, sort of, are joined together in political union it only matters what happens in each country.

does England get the government it votes For? Almost always, Problem? None

does Scotland? Usually not, Problem? Yes

does that penetrate the brain of a Britnat?

Oh god.

Are Newcastle, Manchester and Liverpool countries in a political union? As much as it may bother you, Scotland is. It's not a city. It's not a council ward. It's not a principality. It's a country in a union with its larger neighbour; the type of union that means that larger neighbour chooses its sovereign parliaments. As the man said, do you think England would accept the Scottish electorate choosing its governments if Scotland's population exploded?

Are Newcastle, Manchester and Liverpool countries in a political union? As much as it may bother you, Scotland is. It's not a city. It's not a council ward. It's not a principality. It's a country in a union with its larger neighbour; the type of union that means that larger neighbour chooses its sovereign parliaments. As the man said, do you think England would accept the Scottish electorate choosing its governments if Scotland's population exploded?

England isn't a person. You'd get some of middle England bumping their gums and you'd have English nationalists like in Scotland you have Scottish nationalists. Then you'd get other parts of England, such as in the north around Liverpool, Manchester and Newcastle where most people would probably be happier than they are now.

England isn't a person. You'd get some of middle England bumping their gums and you'd have English nationalists like in Scotland you have Scottish nationalists. Then you'd get other parts of England, such as in the north around Liverpool, Manchester and Newcastle where most people would probably be happier than they are now.

I'll rephrase that then: do you think the majority of the English electorate would allow the Scottish electorate to choose their government for them every five years if Scotland's population exploded? I should point out that in this scenario, nearly every constituency (except one or teo) would vote for a party opposed to the one Scotland's electorate put into government.

You'd get rioting on the streets and the UK broken up within a fortnight is what you'd get. The hysteria last year that we might actually a tiny say in the governance of the UK was very enlightening, family of nations my are.

I'll rephrase that then: do you think the majority of the English electorate would allow the Scottish electorate to choose their government for them every five years if Scotland's population exploded? I should point out that in this scenario, nearly every constituency (except one or teo) would vote for a party opposed to the one Scotland's electorate put into government.

That scenario at the end only becomes a factor if the English electorate vote in an English nationalist party. That's part of your answer/opinion as to how England would react. In my opinion, I don't think England would vote in that kind of party to nearly every constituency. England is too diverse for that.

Then you're looking at, would the majority of English people vote for a break up of the Union in your scenario. As I said, it's a diverse country so I don't think they would.

Archived