Your Teams Best Result in Europe?

NoPapacNoParty

Dundee and Glasgow are the only cities in the UK to have had 2 teams from each city compete in the semi finals of the champions cup.

ETA: European Cup, not champions cup. Been playing too much FM. :lol:

Even if you include the Champions league I'm fairly certain that Scotland is the only country to have two cities who can boast two semi finalists in the European Cup/Champions league

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if you include the Champions league I'm fairly certain that Scotland is the only country to have two cities who can boast two semi finalists in the European Cup/Champions league

London obvs.

Have Everton never reached a European Cup Semi?

There aren't that many English cities with two decent teams.

Beating Bayern Munich 1-0 away from home at half time. They ended up going on to win 2-1, but still probably the greatest result for the rovers in Europe.

The 3-1 win against Akranes at Starks was pretty good too.

Overall probably stuffing Cologne 8-1 at Dens in 1962. They were second favourites after the great Real Madrid side of that era. Although the away leg was lost 4-0 in highly controversial circumstances it was, and remains a stand-out result for a Scottish club in Europe.

craig brown talks about that tie in his book, says the local british army or something like that had to come along to the 2nd leg to protect the british interests as the germans were spoiling for a fight

think they concussed the dundee keeper after about 4 minutes of the 2nd leg did they not?

London obvs.

Have Everton never reached a European Cup Semi?

There aren't that many English cities with two decent teams.

I think Everton's would-be European cup adventure was spoiled by Liverpool fans at Heysel.

Think beating Valencia 6-2 is the stand-out from us. We did eventually go out through a play-off, though (no away goals in them days). Fun fact: the play off tie against Valencia was played on neutral soil, in Lisbon, at the stadium (the name escapes me) where Celtic won the European Cup, to be precise. We lost 1-0. Jock Stein managed us in that stadium years before his glory days at Celtic. Find that quite strange in a way!

There's a good video of us playing Valencia at EEP in that 6-2 game and when we got the tie on even terms, the commentator, barely gathering his words for the sheer scenes, says: "Well...well if Dunfermline score another goal...I think we'll be off this stand! It's shaking like mad as it is!"

Cuffing a big-spending Everton side in the Cup Winners' Cup deserves a special mention. According to the Pars players at the time, Everton were bemused at who they got in the tie and hadn't even heard of us despite beating Celtic in the Scottish Cup (the oldest and most prestigeous cup in world football ;) ) the season before. Apparently they slagged us for being less fortunate in the coffers department. Stein used this as an advantage and we turned a around a 1-0 defeat away at Goodison and won 2-0 at East End Park.

Would love to have been around in them days to see those games. Not over the top when I say this, but we were definitely a big gun in European football during the 60s.

In terms of result, probably Basel away (who I think were previously unbeaten against British sides at home, or very few losses), or Bordeaux away. In terms of #scenes Liverpool away was the top for me. Unbelievable stuff when Templeton scored.

In terms of result, probably Basel away (who I think were previously unbeaten against British sides at home, or very few losses), or Bordeaux away. In terms of #scenes Liverpool away was the top for me. Unbelievable stuff when Templeton scored.

Didn't you beat Bayern Munich 1-0 in 1989? Or is this recent wins you're only counting?

I think Everton's would-be European cup adventure was spoiled by Liverpool fans at Heysel.

You're correct.

They won the League and European Cup Winners Cup in the same year as Heysel.

The following season they had the Screensport Super Cup for the English teams qualifying for Europe with Liverpool beating Everton in the final.

• 2 weeks later...

What is your teams best result in European football?

For me as a Rangers fan, its Lyon 3-0 away or the 4-1 win over PSV.

Both were fantastic results for Gers mate but beating UEFA Cup holders Porto was my favourite as it took us into the CL if my memory serves me correctly.

Can't wait for those kind glory days to come back to Ibrox under MW and DW's tenure in charge of the club.

• 4 weeks later...

In my lifetime we've beaten Bordeaux, Stuttgart and Basel over 90 minutes and drawn with Liverpool. But we beat Braga at home and drew the away leg. So seeing as it was two good results over 180 minutes would probably go with Braga.

Sirkoi Brieg in the Champions League was pretty special too.

1883/84 FA Cup final: lost 2-1 to Blackburn Rovers.

From Wikipedia:

The Scottish team had a goal disallowed during play, and the referee later said that they had scored once more but as the players didn't attempt to claim it, he hadn't bothered to award it.

So much for West of Scotland bias!

Archived