Trident "A disaster waiting to happen"

~~~

The emigrants (who are outnumbered 2 to 1) are mostly British people with skills, hence the UK tax take has dropped despite record employment and the in work benefits bill has sky rocketed. That won't concern you though. Being an accountant, however, I take note of these things, and when I lose clients to overseas, good clients who were paying a lot of UK taxes. it informs my opinion. But continue with your uninformed ignorance by all means. If you feel enriched in Gorgie these days that is great for you.

I don't think that was his point; more to do with fighting a losing battle i.e. the UK won't be leaving the EU.

Good to know that you're taking note of these things, making a list and all that. A question though: what would be creating this influx of unskilled workers and exodus of skilled workers?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These apparent security breaches aren't a reason to cut Trident in itself but certainly to hold some kind of investigation into why security appears to be lax.

The bottom line is that Trident is going to be renewed now, so we're stuck with it for the next 25 years at least. It is important that the base which houses the 4 boomers is made as safe as possible.

P.S. If we ever do go independent, instead of dismantling the boomers we should chuck them at Holland. We can never be the best wee country in the world while Holland still exists.

These apparent security breaches aren't a reason to cut Trident in itself but certainly to hold some kind of investigation into why security appears to be lax.

The bottom line is that Trident is going to be renewed now, so we're stuck with it for the next 25 years at least. It is important that the base which houses the 4 boomers is made as safe as possible.

P.S. If we ever do go independent, instead of dismantling the boomers we should chuck them at Holland. We can never be the best wee country in the world while Holland still exists.

New Zealand's further away and just as nice I believe.

Denmark would be more appropriate - it is about the same size as Scotland, population wise and is marginally closer.

The emigrants (who are outnumbered 2 to 1) are mostly British people with skills, hence the UK tax take has dropped despite record employment and the in work benefits bill has sky rocketed. That won't concern you though. Being an accountant, however, I take note of these things, and when I lose clients to overseas, good clients who were paying a lot of UK taxes. it informs my opinion. But continue with your uninformed ignorance by all means. If you feel enriched in Gorgie these days that is great for you.

You're relying too heavily on your own experiences then, and not looking at what's happening in the wider economy. If the tax take has dropped it's because this 'record employment' is actually 'record underemployment', with more part-time workers, people on zero-hours contracts, and more folk not able to use their skills/experience/degrees than ever before. Funnily enough, this is also exactly why the 'in work benefits bill is sky high' - because these jobs that people have to take don't give them enough income to make ends meet. That's why this Tory 'recovery' is a complete sham, and why the economy is still flat-lining. First dip of the recession: Labour profligacy and failure to prepare for economic shocks; second dip of the recession: ideologically driven Tory austerity cuts.

Just read that 'report'. Is this supposed to be taken seriously? Is it even real?

I spent half my naval career on HMS Vanguard as an engineer. What I can say is that matelots love to spin gash dits to sprog ratings like this guy, for their own personal amusement. He sounds like he lives in a fantasy world. The military is no place for daft, immature wee boys like him.

Some stuff in there was ludicrous. The safe dive depth was bollocks. I regularly witnessed the boat dive to 300m on work up, it's the deep dive test depth, where hull integrity and hull openings are put to the test. There's boys out in the far east dive deeper than the 65m 'safe depth', to look for pearls. Unaided, ffs.

There must be submariners pissing themselves laughing at this. Is this some sort of ruse to discredit the SNP?

The most worrying part of this was the brief mention of women onboard. It probably is a matter of time before a boat is lost, now the splitarses have brought the standards crashing down.

Just read that 'report'. Is this supposed to be taken seriously? Is it even real?

I spent half my naval career on HMS Vanguard as an engineer. What I can say is that matelots love to spin gash dits to sprog ratings like this guy, for their own personal amusement. He sounds like he lives in a fantasy world. The military is no place for daft, immature wee boys like him.

Some stuff in there was ludicrous. The safe dive depth was bollocks. I regularly witnessed the boat dive to 300m on work up, it's the deep dive test depth, where hull integrity and hull openings are put to the test. There's boys out in the far east dive deeper than the 65m 'safe depth', to look for pearls. Unaided, ffs.

There must be submariners pissing themselves laughing at this. Is this some sort of ruse to discredit the SNP?

The most worrying part of this was the brief mention of women onboard. It probably is a matter of time before a boat is lost, now the splitarses have brought the standards crashing down.

^^^What did he say?

Side note but are we the only country who when it comes to debating the merits of having nuclear weapons has a sincere defence based on that it provides employment to some people?

Side note but are we the only country who when it comes to debating the merits of having nuclear weapons has a sincere defence based on that it provides employment to some people?

This arguement is bad in itself but what's worse is the comparisons. We have seen whole industries destroyed in the UK because, we were told, they were not financially viable. When the issue of jobs, and the cost of subsequent unemployment benefit was raised, shoulders were shrugged and we were told 'that's just an unfortunate consequence'.

The difference here is that the money that would be saved on Trident would create far more jobs which could all be socially beneficial.

The Trident issue is one I don't really have an issue with. Sadly it's a necessary evil in the world. It's the one issue I disagree with the SNP over. As for it being based at Faslane, yea it kinda sucks. But in the event of a Nuke war it's pretty irrelevant. It is based there for pure simple geographic reasons.access You need a deep water port and to the ocean. If it was put in the Forth it would be easy for Russian Sonar to detect them and even mine the waters, same reason why it is not in the English Channel. Having it on the west coast is simply logic, I agree we should have dumped it on the Welsh though as who'd miss them?

I take it you have never heard of Falmouth one of the deepest harbours in the World if not the deepest next stop the ANTARCTIC plenty of Ocean in between.

Hearing nine warheads were kept at Glencorse Barracks this afternoon on their way to Coulport.

That's 5 miles from here.

No doubt a pit stop to re-set the timers before going through Edinburgh via the by-pass. Just in case like, they could have used Milton Bridge as it is just next door.

This arguement is bad in itself but what's worse is the comparisons. We have seen whole industries destroyed in the UK because, we were told, they were not financially viable. When the issue of jobs, and the cost of subsequent unemployment benefit was raised, shoulders were shrugged and we were told 'that's just an unfortunate consequence'.

The difference here is that the money that would be saved on Trident would create far more jobs which could all be socially beneficial.

Well said. This sailor who blew the whistle may have been privy to some short comings that need to be addressed he should have passed it up the line he might have got a promotion for being alert. On occasion when I worked at the base I always found the security to be very tight you can't just walk on down to the dock and cast your line to catch fish there are procedures to be observed and enforced when they need to be.

Archived