Dundee United 2015/16 Season

I think it was Skinny Arab that made this comment a while back but it's one I totally agree with - the games we have won recently have been in spite of Mixu not because of him.

He truly has made a mess of things. I always, always give new players and managers time regardless of previous records and in the last few weeks I've made my mind up on Mixu. I hope that next season we have the planning and foresight to sack him and bring in a manager who is willing to develop a long term strategy and not someone who might pick up a few decent results but only through pure luck or one-off performances.

My biggest gripe with Mixu is his absolutely dreadful game management. His changes, his tactics and his inflexibility are infuriating.

Thompson doesn't get off free though, he too has made some truly terrible decisions in the last 18 months. All in all it is one monumental shit show. The only saving grace is that my, pretty much weekly, both teams to score and over 2.5 goals in every game has made me a good amount of money this season.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

United could do far worse than get someone like Ray McKinnon in when/if they go down. He's looking likely to be a talented manager, knows the Championship and obviously knows the club.

I'd have said Peter Houston would have been the ideal candidate but I know some Arabs are still a bit sour on him.

United could do far worse than get someone like Ray McKinnon in when/if they go down. He's looking likely to be a talented manager, knows the Championship and obviously knows the club.

I'd have said Peter Houston would have been the ideal candidate but I know some Arabs are still a bit sour on him.

I'd be happy with McKinnon if we go down, should he be willing and Raith also willing. McKinnon may be looking at passing us by on the way up, mind.

Dixon contract is until next season :(

He'll look good in the 2nd tier.

Maybe.

I think it was Skinny Arab that made this comment a while back but it's one I totally agree with - the games we have won recently have been in spite of Mixu not because of him.

He truly has made a mess of things. I always, always give new players and managers time regardless of previous records and in the last few weeks I've made my mind up on Mixu. I hope that next season we have the planning and foresight to sack him and bring in a manager who is willing to develop a long term strategy and not someone who might pick up a few decent results but only through pure luck or one-off performances.

My biggest gripe with Mixu is his absolutely dreadful game management. His changes, his tactics and his inflexibility are infuriating.

Thompson doesn't get off free though, he too has made some truly terrible decisions in the last 18 months. All in all it is one monumental shit show. The only saving grace is that my, pretty much weekly, both teams to score and over 2.5 goals in every game has made me a good amount of money this season.

Such as?

Not sacking Mcnamara in the summer, appointing the wrong replacement, deliberately letting slip Mcnamaras contract details to take the heat off himself and selling Armstrong a window too early. You could probably throw in the shambles with Stevie Campbell as well

Such as?

Hiring Mixu, making an arse of the Campbell situation, allowing the youth development at the club to turn into a shambles, recruitment (although this isn't entirely his fault as the manager is one to identify targets). The club has been a shambles for a while now and Thompson as the chairman must shoulder some of that blame (although I still support him as a chairman and he has done a massive job at Utd since taking over from his dad).

The thing that worries me most has been the quality of mixus signings. Bar maybe kawashima none of them have done anything that positive and gunning has been actively detrimental.

I think there are a few players who can be salvaged but there's very little I've seen which suggests mixu can identify players to build a successful team around like Levein did.

First job that needs sorting next year is building a rock solid defence, but I'm less than hopeful.

I really don't want to see another manager sacked but we really need to be on course for promotion early next season otherwise we need to get rid

Stephen Thompson made one huge mistake, not getting rid of McNamara last summer. It's a mistake that he didn't get much criticism for at the time as most folk, including most Arab posters on here, thought McNamara deserved a chance to prove himself.

Any further mistakes were consequential and would not have happened had he got rid of McNamara when he should have.

People who criticise him for selling players, including the timing of that selling, are talking nonsense.

Stephen Thompson made one huge mistake, not getting rid of McNamara last summer. It's a mistake that he didn't get much criticism for at the time as most folk, including most Arab posters on here, thought McNamara deserved a chance to prove himself.

Any further mistakes were consequential and would not have happened had he got rid of McNamara when he should have.

People who criticise him for selling players, including the timing of that selling, are talking nonsense.

The other huge mistake he made was giving McNamara a clause in his contract that gave him a huge chunk of any transfer fees.

The other huge mistake he made was giving McNamara a clause in his contract that gave him a huge chunk of any transfer fees.

I don't know why that was done but other than more money flowing out of the club I don't think it had any real repercussions.

In particular I don't think it led to any players being sold that would otherwise have not been sold.

All the key players who were sold in the last couple of seasons (Gauld, Robertson, Armstrong, McKay-Steven and Ciftci) were sold because they were good players and attracted the interests of other clubs. I believe that would have happened even if McNamara hadn't had the clause in his contract.

I don't know why that was done but other than more money flowing out of the club I don't think it had any real repercussions.

In particular I don't think it led to any players being sold that would otherwise have not been sold.

All the key players who were sold in the last couple of seasons (Gauld, Robertson, Armstrong, McKay-Steven and Ciftci) were sold because they were good players and attracted the interests of other clubs. I believe that would have happened even if McNamara hadn't had the clause in his contract.

I don't disagree, but at the very least it would have left more money for better quality replacements.

On the whole, I think the baldy snake has done a very good job - for all that his old man is admired (almost sainted in the eyes of some), he left us in some state financially.

I don't disagree, but at the very least it would have left more money for better quality replacements.

On the whole, I think the baldy snake has done a very good job - for all that his old man is admired (almost sainted in the eyes of some), he left us in some state financially.

Eddie Thompson is one of a long line of successful businessmen whose financial prudence seems to desert them once they buy into a football club.

Going back to his son and successor, whatever he has done in the past I will judge him on what he does in the future, and in particular the more immediate future.

He must know that he screwed up with McNamara, and that Mixu has not worked out. So he either invests a bit more to kick start next season, including taking a financial hit of getting another new manager, or he tries to do things on the cheap with the inevitable consequences.

I don't think long-term, ongoing subsidy of the club is either feasible or desirable, but he must spend some cash (and spend it wisely) to ensure our stay in the Championship is as short as possible,

Archived