Dundee United 2015/16 Season

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While visiting family in Dundee about 1983/4,United were playing Borussia M,gladbach ,2-0 down from first leg.Decided to go to the match on the spur of the moment,and I'm glad I did.Not only was it one of the best displays of football I ever saw,but the individual display by Ralph Milne has stuck in my mind ever since.

RIP mannie

Just before my time on the terraces, but my old man says the fastest player he ever saw in control of the football on the pitch. The word legend gets trotted out all too often, but in this case it's true. That goal eh...

Narey to Sturrock to Milne.

Good lord.

RIP Ralphie.

A superb talent and one of my favourite Scottish players. He will be famous for "that" goal but he scored many high quality ones. I remember early to mid 80's United skelped Rangers at Tannadice and Ralph scored from the corner of the penalty box with the outside of his right foot - went in off the top left hand post. What a goal. RIP Ralph

One of those players that made you want to play football and be a footballer. Standing at the wall with my Dad either in the Shed or at away games, watching him race away from defenders, along with Luggy twisting and turning was utterly exhilarating as a child.

Absolutely amazing player who was without question one of Scotland's finest during the 80s. It's a tragedy that he never played for Scotland when half of his Tannadice teammates did so on a regular basis.

Going by his book, he believed that Jim McClean somehow had it in for him at Dundee Utd and tried to thwart his career at every turn. People with serious drink problems are of course adept at shifting the blame to other people. His days in England - playing with two clubs in the top league while still in his mid-20s - were both blighted by booze and was effectively retired at the age of 30.

Nobody chooses to become an alcoholic and it affects people in all walks of life. In Ralph's case, it destroyed his career and robbed Scottish football of a potential all-time great. Yes, he was that good.

Just before my time on the terraces, but my old man says the fastest player he ever saw in control of the football on the pitch. The word legend gets trotted out all too often, but in this case it's true. That goal eh...

f**k, that's a good goal. Like the crowd's mental swarm/plunge down the terrace after it.

Archived