The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

3 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

Interesting in that he turned down Raith’s offer because it was for less pay than his McGlynn deal. He’s been wandering, so perhaps his asking price is down, but I’ve never heard Morton mentioned as a place willing to pay a lot…maybe he’s decided a starting role is worth the reduction.

Either way, he’ll be very good for you if he stays healthy, and could probably start on nearly any other team in the League.

Edited by TxRover

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Interesting in that he turned down Raith’s offer because it was for less pay than his McGlynn deal. He’s been wandering, so perhaps his asking price is down, but I’ve never heard Morton mentioned as a place willing to pay a lot…maybe he’s decided a starting role is worth the reduction.

Either way, he’ll be very good for you if he stays healthy, and could probably start on nearly any other team in the League.

Makes you wonder just how generous the contracts Magic Man McGlynn was dishing out actually were… and good to see the daft aul c**t continue in the same vein with such success at Falkirk…

46 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Makes you wonder just how generous the contracts Magic Man McGlynn was dishing out actually were… and good to see the daft aul c**t continue in the same vein with such success at Falkirk…

Apparently escalator clauses were the biggest concern.

20 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

Next up; Alan Power

https://twitter.com/Morton_FC/status/1687410730524409857?s=20

Decent midfield option with premiership experience, I guess.

Just remembered who Power actually is. That's probably what the midfield needed, if it needed anything. Someone who just kind of sits around and controls the midfield.

Blues, Crawford, Bearne, Gillespie, Boyd, Power...  Quite the midfield we have now.

Edited by ClydeTon

Power was one of the best midfielders we've had in my time watching us, maybe only behind Bryson, Dicker and Mulumbu.

His legs seemed to be going a wee bit last season but he still brought a lot to the table for us. He's tenacious, a good organiser and strong in the tackle and generally has great leadership skills. He's also a much better footballer than most opposing Premiership fans would have you believe (but also not as good a footballer as most Killie fans seem to think). Whatever you do, don't let him shoot though.

Edited by craigkillie

22 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Interesting. Either Gillespie on notice… or the dial shifts back towards an out-and-out 4-3-3.

Either way, for now, plenty of options everywhere but in defence… Broadfoot and Power at centre-back with O’Connor at right-back tomorrow?

Bold, if so.

I was thinking it could be to free up Blues' midfield slot, so he can go to Right Back without leaving the midfield short.

Gillespie hasn't had the best of starts this season so wouldn't be surprised if he finds himself as a squad player rather than a certain starter. If he continues to play Muirhead in the number 10 role  then i can see Crawford and Power as defensive midfielders with King, Gillespie and Blues on the bench.

Really like the signing of Power. Very good mix of Youth and experience in the squad now.

Still concerned about tomorrow if we don't bring a defender in but at the same time I understand not rushing in and bringing any old defender in for the sake of it. If we need to put a midfielder there for 1 week and wait some more time, so be it and hopefully we do enough to get through the game.

Edited by madton

Power will do a good job for you. He is exactly what you need in this division, will do so much of the dirty work.

Of course there is the chance that his legs go and a lot of players go one year too far however overall I think this is a good signing.

I love Alan Power, let’s just get that recorded.

Very happy with that. While I doubt he'll be fit for every game, having the option of Power or Gillespie - and possibly both for certain games - really adds depth and experience in the middle of the park. Shame that defenders won't be arriving in time for tomorrow's game but the outlook for the season as a whole is encouraging. 

27 minutes ago, virginton said:

Very happy with that. While I doubt he'll be fit for every game, having the option of Power or Gillespie - and possibly both for certain games - really adds depth and experience in the middle of the park. Shame that defenders won't be arriving in time for tomorrow's game but the outlook for the season as a whole is encouraging. 

I think if your manager wants him to Power could play 30+ league games easily.

Whist its frustrating at least Dougie isn't settling for any old crap. He could easily go out and sign an average defender today but he obviously wants the right player and is being patient.  

Blues and McGrattan have both done well at RB so I'm sure one of them will do a job tomorrow.

We're light on bodies but the 14-15 we do have available are more than good enough at this level. Having a full bench to chose from is a luxury that I'm sure we'll have later in the season, but it's not a necessity as we've shown so far. We've got enough quality across the starting 11 and the bench to compete.

I'd far rather be in this position than have 3 Cameron Salkeld's taking up space on the bench.