The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

On 15/09/2023 at 16:57, ClydeTon said:

He should tear oppositions apart in that league and I'm sure it'll prove to be a good deal for yous. Make the most of it.

We will offer a refund if he doesn't score one of his signature 'run for half of the park and hammer it home' goals.

Refund cancelled already.

As said before will be good for him if we survive until Christmas could be the new year first footer we need.

Well yesterday's game had a lot of similarities with the RR game a few weeks ago.

Started shite, seemed to let them come at us ,maybe strategy is tire the opposition out and disheartened them if we keep it at nil nil. Got into the game a bit start of second half but couldn't convert some good chances, decent defending to be fair, caught on the break a few times before the only slower man than B scored. Also not happy with the two challenges by their No 11 I thought reckless at the time but as seen through colourd specs will recheck on highlights if not edited out. Note even Pars fans thought the boy did well not to be booked.

Sadly with our main 70 year old centre back as slow and weak as fuc# plan fails before 20 mins on the clock. Oh he is no 70, well I have seen quicker guys running past me heading down to Lunderson bay who are 70!!!!

Was the Dougie clapping his sarcastic response to P&B amateur football coaches identifying B as our main weakness and he knows best.

Well here is the real position , you are the manager, good report card so far, stick with B and you will be binned by Christmas. Welcome to the real football world.

We need not less than four points in the next three games or we will become detached. 

2 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

Also not happy with the two challenges by their No 11 I thought reckless at the time but as seen through colourd specs will recheck on highlights if not edited out. Note even Pars fans thought the boy did well not to be booked.

This is a wild take. Neither were anywhere near bookings. The one where O'Connor gets injured - it was him tackling McCann and should have been a corner, never a foul in a month of Sundays. He literally just bounced off McCann. Haven't seen or heard a single Pars fan say otherwise. 

36 minutes ago, par-adise said:

This is a wild take. Neither were anywhere near bookings. The one where O'Connor gets injured - it was him tackling McCann and should have been a corner, never a foul in a month of Sundays. He literally just bounced off McCann. Haven't seen or heard a single Pars fan say otherwise. 

Even from where I was I could tell it was Darragh going in for the challenge, and just coming out the wrong end of it.

Perhaps I'm missing something here?

4 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Even from where I was I could tell it was Darragh going in for the challenge, and just coming out the wrong end of it.

Perhaps I'm missing something here?

Nope that's exactly it. There wasn't even a huge amount of contact. Real freak injury if it is a dislocated knee (sincerely hope it isn't as I'm too squeemish to even contemplate what that would be like).

The French one just looked like it was the way the two landed, with McCann catching him on his way down. Again a really unfortunate one which didn't look great. 

4 minutes ago, par-adise said:

Nope that's exactly it. There wasn't even a huge amount of contact. Real freak injury if it is a dislocated knee (sincerely hope it isn't as I'm too squeemish to even contemplate what that would be like).

The French one just looked like it was the way the two landed, with McCann catching him on his way down. Again a really unfortunate one which didn't look great. 

French's seemed to be the weight of McCann on him, more than anything.

If it's his leg that was previously broken then he might be f**ked. He looked to be in absolute agony when he was on the floor.

He'll be straight in at right back tomorrow then.

It would be nice to get a shock when the team is announced tomorrow with one of French or O'Connor fit and playing centre back so we can move into a happier world where we no longer have to suffer Kirk Broadfoot in the starting XI, but I'll not get my hopes up.

Badly needed signing! The fact it's a RB doesn't look good for French, which is a real pity. 

Hope O'Connor is not too seriously injured or we would need at least another loan signing.

Hope we can start to see a settled defence again and hope Oakley and Jai at the other end are not too far away too

Obviously never good to go bottom but I’m not panicking yet.

Any talk among our fans of Imrie having run out of time is ridiculous IMO.  We’re only seven games into the season and while this has been our worst run under him, he and his teams have continually shown resilience when in a bad moment in the past.

And which manager doesn’t go through spells like this? showing you can come out of it should be what we ask of managers, not that they’re sacked the first time they happen.

Yes it’s disappointing we’re clearly not going to live up to the high expectations we had coming into the season, but I’d like to think people are grown-up enough not to turn on Imrie.

And injuries haven’t helped. Saying all that, the team is noticeably worse than it was last year: Power, Boyd, Bearne & Broadfoot all massive downgrades on those that left in the summer (and even then, some of those were short of what was needed). Wilson too, as I said when he signed, though tbf I thought he done well and showed for everything today.

So I to would hope to see Imrie get these guys out the team and get back to some of the basics that have been the hallmark of his teams. Something poetic that his loyalty to certain players and older heads at the expense of young players was on show today when Lewis McGregor scores the winner and Lewis McGrattan comes on and is our main threat.

2 minutes ago, Morton Supporter said:

Obviously never good to go bottom but I’m not panicking yet.

Any talk among our fans of Imrie having run out of time is ridiculous IMO.  We’re only seven games into the season and while this has been our worst run under him, he and his teams have continually shown resilience when in a bad moment in the past.

And which manager doesn’t go through spells like this? showing you can come out of it should be what we ask of managers, not that they’re sacked the first time they happen.

Yes it’s disappointing we’re clearly not going to live up to the high expectations we had coming into the season, but I’d like to think people are grown-up enough not to turn on Imrie.

And injuries haven’t helped. Saying all that, the team is noticeably worse than it was last year: Power, Boyd, Bearne & Broadfoot all massive downgrades on those that left in the summer (and even then, some of those were short of what was needed). Wilson too, as I said when he signed, though tbf I thought he done well and showed for everything today.

So I to would hope to see Imrie get these guys out the team and get back to some of the basics that have been the hallmark of his teams. Something poetic that his loyalty to certain players and older heads at the expense of young players was on show today when Lewis McGregor scores the winner and Lewis McGrattan comes on and is our main threat.

Agreed 100% Well said.

47 minutes ago, Girth said:

Serious question chaps, what the hell is going on!?

You were a well organised unit last season. 

Bit of bad luck with injuries, not enough squad depth at the back, and some poor signings.

I’m also beginning to suspect something happened at Ibrox; we actually started the season pretty well, but have been unrecognisable since that game.

2 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Bit of bad luck with injuries, not enough squad depth at the back, and some poor signings.

I’m also beginning to suspect something happened at Ibrox; we actually started the season pretty well, but have been unrecognisable since that game.

Something happened? Like what?