The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

10 minutes ago, btb said:

You lot must be glad Imrie does not seem to be getting mentioned for the RC job, especially as he went through Adam's recent tenure unbeaten (over 90 mins anyway).

Don't see him moving to the Highlands.

When he eventually does move on, it'll be central belt, or Perth/Dundee at a push.*

Spoiler

* Unless of course Warnock is a stalking horse to get him the Aberdeen gig...

9 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/24103369.dougie-imrie-blasts-mortons-disrespectful-rivals/

AGaJwxW60SwD.gif.52752efcf2edcf0cadbde7e04f59c47f.gif

He can only really be talking about someone involved with Airdrie or Raith here, having not played Queen's Park since Davidson took over. Fully in favour of him going in two-footed on Murray or McCabe in celebration if we beat either of them.

Not convinced we have the lowest budget in the league.

Arbroath will be the lowest and I don't think Airdire will be spending as much as us. Their squad is largely the same as their league 1 side.  Think Ayr will be pretty similar to us too.

30 minutes ago, madton said:

Arbroath will be the lowest and I don't think Airdire will be spending as much as us. Their squad is largely the same as their league 1 side.  Think Ayr will be pretty similar to us too.

Was surprised to see him say that, but I guess it depends what he means by ‘budget’: if it’s just what we’re currently spending on player wages, then agree Arbroath and Airdrie must be lower: if it’s available cash to spend, Arbroath will be well above us… not sure about Airdrie.

Ayr, btw, will be spending significantly more on player (and staff!) wages than us.

53 minutes ago, madton said:

Arbroath have a squad of about 207 first team players.

3 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Don't see him moving to the Highlands.

When he eventually does move on, it'll be central belt, or Perth/Dundee at a push.*

Reveal hidden contents

* Unless of course Warnock is a stalking horse to get him the Aberdeen gig...

Bit of a daft comment when by all accounts he was interested in the Inverness gig.

2 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Was surprised to see him say that, but I guess it depends what he means by ‘budget’: if it’s just what we’re currently spending on player wages, then agree Arbroath and Airdrie must be lower: if it’s available cash to spend, Arbroath will be well above us… not sure about Airdrie.

Ayr, btw, will be spending significantly more on player (and staff!) wages than us.

I'm not convinced. Certainly not significant IMO. They brought some unknown lower league players from down south.

Aye Mcgeady will be on a decent wage but he also has a staff position 

Jamie Murphy prob on similar wages on Alan Power, experienced players dropping down.

Are Mcginty and Musonda paid significantly more than Baird/O'connor?

What makes you think its significantly more? You may be right and we'll never know for sure. I just look at the two squads and think it can't be that different. We will be paying guys like Mcdonald ,Waters, Power, Strapp, Wilson, Crawford, Oakley, Muirhead, Blues etc decent Championship wages especially after some of their performances last season and signing new deals in the Summer.

They have used the loan market a lot more than us right enough.

10 minutes ago, madton said:

I'm not convinced. Certainly not significant IMO. They brought some unknown lower league players from down south.

Aye Mcgeady will be on a decent wage but he also has a staff position 

Jamie Murphy prob on similar wages on Alan Power, experienced players dropping down.

Are Mcginty and Musonda paid significantly more than Baird/O'connor?

What makes you think its significantly more? You may be right and we'll never know for sure. I just look at the two squads and think it can't be that different. We will be paying guys like Mcdonald ,Waters, Power, Strapp, Wilson, Crawford, Oakley, Muirhead, Blues etc decent Championship wages especially after some of their performances last season and signing new deals in the Summer.

They have used the loan market a lot more than us right enough.

It’s credit to Imrie that you think that… our squad is better than theirs, but (I think) on much less money.

McGeady and Murphy will be on way more than Power; and, as you say, the loan cost of Chalmers and possibly also Dowds will be more than we pay any player.

Even McGinty went there for more than Morton offered (which is good obvs) and Musonda would be on the limit of what we can afford.

They’ve spunked a fair bit of money on a squad that isn’t very good… and still had enough to bring in Brown and Whittaker.

Good news all round.

10 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

It’s credit to Imrie that you think that… our squad is better than theirs, but (I think) on much less money.

McGeady and Murphy will be on way more than Power; and, as you say, the loan cost of Chalmers and possibly also Dowds will be more than we pay any player.

Even McGinty went there for more than Morton offered (which is good obvs) and Musonda would be on the limit of what we can afford.

They’ve spunked a fair bit of money on a squad that isn’t very good… and still had enough to bring in Brown and Whittaker.

Good news all round.

McGeady is not on that much as far as I am aware (thankfully).  The guy has a property portfolio of 20 plus and arrives in a Bentley 1 day, then an Aston Martin the next.  His main role is shadowing Mathie as McGeady is doing a sports management role at University to become a Managing Director somewhere, his wages aren't what people think it will be.  Our top earners will obviously be the likes of Murphy, Chalmers (depending on how much of his wages we are paying) then the likes of Murdoch/Dempsey/Musonda.  What our problem has been is the misses from down south who we have to pay off.  Turnover in the last year of 2 million with a profit of £20,000, not taking into account the Dipo sale.  We were negative 1.4 million at the end of 2019, so has been some turnaround.  Do agree we have wasted a fair amount on dross.

8 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

McGeady is not on that much as far as I am aware (thankfully).  The guy has a property portfolio of 20 plus and arrives in a Bentley 1 day, then an Aston Martin the next.  His main role is shadowing Mathie as McGeady is doing a sports management role at University to become a Managing Director somewhere, his wages aren't what people think it will be.  Our top earners will obviously be the likes of Murphy, Chalmers (depending on how much of his wages we are paying) then the likes of Murdoch/Dempsey/Musonda.  What our problem has been is the misses from down south who we have to pay off.  Turnover in the last year of 2 million with a profit of £20,000, not taking into account the Dipo sale.  We were negative 1.4 million at the end of 2019, so has been some turnaround.  Do agree we have wasted a fair amount on dross.

McGinty's definitely right hp there on your high earner list.

8 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

He'll probably be up there somewhere being the club captain.  The next year or so will be interesting to see where he fits into Browns plans.

12 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

He'll probably be up there somewhere being the club captain.  The next year or so will be interesting to see where he fits into Browns plans.

All depends if he is giving him a lift to training in the Bentley or a loan of the Aston Martin

Off topic but the newest Terrace Podcast largely about the Championship has a decent bit about Morton and Imrie. First 20 mins or so. 

Was pretty fair I thought, talks about their thoughts on the "big bad physical" take on things.

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

Aye Hopkin offered stupid money to him and Fjortoft to get them away from Morton. Obviously we managed to offload Markus and McGinty has had a turnaround of sorts but will still be on more than he deserves for the quality of player he is.

I don’t think he’ll fit into Browns plans for next season. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye Hopkin offered stupid money to him and Fjortoft to get them away from Morton. Obviously we managed to offload Markus and McGinty has had a turnaround of sorts but will still be on more than he deserves for the quality of player he is.

I don’t think he’ll fit into Browns plans for next season. 

And a nice parting gift it was too.

14 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Bit of a daft comment when by all accounts he was interested in the Inverness gig.

The The Caley gig is a far more attractive proposition than the Ross County gig, so you have nothing to worry about. However, with Douglas's CV improving, I look forward to seeing if he can make it past the second interview stage with The Caley in the future.

12 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

The The Caley gig is a far more attractive proposition than the Ross County gig, so you have nothing to worry about. However, with Douglas's CV improving, I look forward to seeing if he can make it past the second interview stage with The Caley in the future.

Is it really?  Imrie could easily go in and turn that Ross County team around, it's not a terrible team and not far off St Johnstone.

13 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

Doubt he'll have much interest in a League 1 rabble when your gig next comes up, even if your duracell farm has been approved to allow you to keep throwing money into a pit.

And your insistence on saying 'the Caley' at every opportunity is daft.