The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Football fans are pretty stupid for the most part. Wouldn't get too bothered by it. It's not like any Pars fans managed to diagnose a season ending injury while he was on the pitch then booed him anyway.

Weird. Of everyone in our squad from which Duffy could pick, Thommo would be one of the last. He's been decent for us out wide in the last few weeks but this looks a weird move from Duffy, especially given Morton could potentially be in the Premiership where he'd be hugely out of his depth.

14 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

You guys have agreed a PCA with Robert Thomson. He's basically a reincarnation of Colin Nish - and I mean that in a good and bad way.

Right, wee bit more on this now I'm home.

He's a weird player, but like I said Colin Nish is the only other guy I've seen like him. He's tall and lanky, decent in the air but not particularly strong at holding play up. His first touch can be sublime at times, but at others it doesn't look as if he's in control of his legs. His distribution has been pretty meh, a few nice balls through but nothing special.

The absolute biggest problem he has is that he is beyond wasteful in front of goal. I mean he finds new ways to miss the target week after week. Our home fans have already near enough turned on him because of how many good chances he's passed up and you never feel confident in the slightest with him one-on-one. 

Since October he's been playing out wide for us, where he's been slightly better courtesy of not getting the chances, but he doesn't really have the pace to be a great winger.

This, from the weekend, sums him up perfectly. Decent pass, decent movement, good feet, completely sclaffs shot

He definitely has potential. His movement, touch and ability in the air all mean he should be more effective than he is - but at the moment, if you were to allow me to choose one member of our starting 11 to sign for Morton, it would be him. Nade and Fleming are both far more effective in his main role for us at the minute.

Is he better than Kudos? Probably. Although I get the feeling he's similar in front of goal.

3 minutes ago, SuperTon said:

I'm going to trust Duffy on this one. He's got a good record of turning average players in other teams into really good players for us.

See: Oliver, Gary.

As S08 says, the potential is clearly there but the fact we've had to shift him out wide as he couldn't score and now have plenty options out wide he could find himself warming the bench for us in the not too distant future. One thing I will say, he played alongside Vaughan against Hibs and the difference in quality between the two was so apparent. I do like Thommo though, we can't say he hasn't given us everything and I wish him all the best if this is true.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Weird. Of everyone in our squad from which Duffy could pick, Thommo would be one of the last. He's been decent for us out wide in the last few weeks but this looks a weird move from Duffy, especially given Morton could potentially be in the Premiership where he'd be hugely out of his depth.

He'll be in good company with Ross Forbes then.

8 minutes ago, SuperTon said:

I'm going to trust Duffy on this one. He's got a good record of turning average players in other teams into really good players for us.

See: Oliver, Gary.

Aye same. Could also say similar with Lamie, Kilday and McCluskey to an extent. All average players for us in League 1 but improved greatly in the Championship, especially with Lamie and Kilday.

Just now, Cerberus said:

He'll be in good company with Ross Forbes then.

I very highly doubt we'll go up but if we did I think Duffy would find a way for him to play every week in the Premiership. If he had more pace about him he'd be an established Premiership player by now. He ripped the pish out of Ayr for about half an hour the other night without even trying.

Duffy did used to stick strikers out wide fairly often, wonder if he sees it working with Thomson.

Stranger things have happened (McDonagh being the world's greatest RB, for example)

Edited by tonnitus

Just now, tonnitus said:

Duffy did used to stick strikers out wide fairly often, wonder if he sees it working with Thomson.

Stranger things have happened (McDonagh being the world's greatest RB, for example)

Maybe Duffy will turn Thomson into the world's greatest GK. 

Fairly surprised that Duffy has targetted Thomson. Out of our regular starters he's probably been the least impressive.

Shows the very odd flash of brilliance with a wee touch or turn but other than that he's not shown much else. He's probably the only player I'd drop from our current 11.

As has been touched on, perhaps Duffy will be able to get the best out of him but I'm not hugely convinced. Good luck to him when he does leave.