The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

16 hours ago, virginton said:

Hold me back.

Would not be surprised if Scott Robinson might also be in the frame given his Livingston past though. Perhaps too similar to Crawford but the type of midfielder Imrie wants. 

All for any upgrades, could also do worse and have Tumilty.

18 hours ago, virginton said:

Hold me back.

Would not be surprised if Scott Robinson might also be in the frame given his Livingston past though. Perhaps too similar to Crawford but the type of midfielder Imrie wants. 

But Robinson is more of a goal threat, no?

Maybe we are checking ST sales and confirmed income for 23/24 before we do a Partick T and gamble with getting promoted to the Premiership. 

Same as last year, but with a decent backbone of players already contracted . So once agents have tried hawking their clients at inflated wages and getting rejected some will realise that what Morton are offering is as good as it gets plus the opportunity of bonuses to top it up and live to fight another day.

Dougie has shown he is good at poker so let's see how it goes.

2 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Was done at this level with ICT a few years ago.

We have our first choice centre backs signed up.

He would basically be filling the Efe Ambrose place in the squad - 'trying to squeeze any remaining ounces of football out of an experienced backup if needed.'

Not concerned.

7 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

Maybe we are checking ST sales and confirmed income for 23/24 before we do a Partick T and gamble with getting promoted to the Premiership. 

Same as last year, but with a decent backbone of players already contracted . So once agents have tried hawking their clients at inflated wages and getting rejected some will realise that what Morton are offering is as good as it gets plus the opportunity of bonuses to top it up and live to fight another day.

Dougie has shown he is good at poker so let's see how it goes.

I'd agree with this. The last year has shown how astutely and responsibly the club's finances are being managed.

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I thought he always looked alright and the Inverness back 4 he was in was a good one.

He was good tbh, he seems to be an easy target for abuse but when you watch him he was a good player for this level. 
Another year older though but keeps himself in good shape and his work ethic will no doubt set an example for the younger players. 

4 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Undoubtedly playing the Efe role. Good experienced cover and can play in various positions. And I  imagine will be one of the cheaper options which will free up funds for more squad additions 

Broadfoot seems to be one of those guys who is a joke figure for anyone whose club he hasn't actually played for, but appreciated by fans when he is at a club. He was excellent for us under Steve Clarke, a hugely underrated part of that team by many of our supporters. We probably kept him on one season too long, but the relegation was more down to the complete lack of consistency in the other parts of our defence, and the dumpling goalkeeper behind him.

He also keeps himself very fit, and is a much better footballer than people think. I reckon he'll be a good addition for Morton as long as they're not expecting him to start every single week.

If he's coming in to fill the Efe role I'd rather have just kept Efe. We could still do a lot worse for a third choice centre back though, as long as that's all he is and there's no plan to use him as full back cover which would now be a disaster at his age, but we're going to need some versatility in the remaining defensive signings.

12 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

If he's coming in to fill the Efe role I'd rather have just kept Efe. We could still do a lot worse for a third choice centre back though, as long as that's all he is and there's no plan to use him as full back cover which would now be a disaster at his age, but we're going to need some versatility in the remaining defensive signings.

He has signed a one season pre contract with us today