The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

We may have a shallow squad (for now), but we certainly don't have to go for any old player. Look at Ayr, the fullback they have is totally useless. Much like most of their squad, seemingly.

So far, we've scored 14 Goals in Five competitive games, which only Ross County (15) have topped.

On the opposite side of that, we've only - despite defense being our shallowest area by far - conceded five goals in those five games. And that's with Baird out for three of those games, and a winger at RB for one of them. We'll be able to get through the next couple of league games (Ibrox could be even worse than expected if we don't have numbers, though) and should have a couple through the door by September.

In a way it's a good thing we haven't signed anyone. It means Dougie's trying to pick the right player.

If we go up to Kirkcaldy and get a point, then beat Arbroath at home, then fine… but we can’t go much deeper into the season with the squad we have, or, sooner or later, it will start costing us points.

Totally behind Imrie holding out for the right quality (the boy who played right-back for Ayr on Saturday, for example, is exactly what we would have got under MacPherson), but he knows he’ll have to twist at some point.

I wonder if Steve Lawson is still in the mix, but holding out for more money. His capacity to play as a holding midfielder is no longer required with Power in, but I’m scratching my head to think of other credible options at right-back.

And maybe Ricki Lamie on loan is just a fantasy…

… Imrie’s knowledge of players in this environment is second to none - in terms of their ability and temperament, but also who is realistically gettable - so we need to trust that he has a plan or three in mind.

37 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

If we go up to Kirkcaldy and get a point, then beat Arbroath at home, then fine… but we can’t go much deeper into the season with the squad we have, or, sooner or later, it will start costing us points.

Totally behind Imrie holding out for the right quality (the boy who played right-back for Ayr on Saturday, for example, is exactly what we would have got under MacPherson), but he knows he’ll have to twist at some point.

I wonder if Steve Lawson is still in the mix, but holding out for more money. His capacity to play as a holding midfielder is no longer required with Power in, but I’m scratching my head to think of other credible options at right-back.

And maybe Ricki Lamie on loan is just a fantasy…

… Imrie’s knowledge of players in this environment is second to none - in terms of their ability and temperament, but also who is realistically gettable - so we need to trust that he has a plan or three in mind.

Was he ever in the mix? I thought that was someone on the board saying a player who was available and would be a decent option.

1 hour ago, madton said:

Was he ever in the mix? I thought that was someone on the board saying a player who was available and would be a decent option.

He is/was ‘in the mix’ insofar as he’s a right-back, out of contract, and Imrie knows him.

Would have been on decent money at Hamilton (signed when they were in the top league, I think), so I’m guessing he wouldn’t jump at our first offer.

Let’s see.

2 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

He is/was ‘in the mix’ insofar as he’s a right-back, out of contract, and Imrie knows him.

Would have been on decent money at Hamilton (signed when they were in the top league, I think), so I’m guessing he wouldn’t jump at our first offer.

Let’s see.

He was at Livingston in the top flight, but was only at Hamilton for last season.

Wouldn't be a bad signing, though. And perhaps that lowers his wage expectation a little.

On 09/07/2023 at 19:53, Jamie_M said:

We haven't pulled out of it. It's defunct. The club tried to get the rights to use it for this game but were unable to.

On 09/07/2023 at 20:34, ClydeTon said:

I see. I thought the cup still ran for the amateur/junior teams. Guess not. A shame, that.

On 10/07/2023 at 14:19, Vril said:

That’s a real shame.  I would like to know a bit more about what discussions took place and who are the stakeholders mentioned in the club statement (“Despite the club’s best efforts, we were unable to get the necessary stakeholders on side to use the previous trophy and competition name”) I know that it more or less amounted to an annual pre season friendly anyway but it is still a historic tournament and a nice tradition to keep going (not to mention a proper trophy as opposed to a wee toy one)

I wonder if we needed the blessing of the other amateur clubs who used to contest the earlier rounds in order to resurrect it as just a Morton v St Mirren thing?  I stand to be corrected but as far as I’m aware, the Renfrewshire football association hasn’t existed for a long time, so I’m not clear on who would own the rights to the title and the trophy or have responsibility for administering it.

On 10/07/2023 at 21:00, Jamie_M said:

For the old format, there was a separate amateur competition - the Victoria Cup. The finalists of that competition were invited to be the semi-finalists of the Renfrewshire Cup alongside Morton and St Mirren. No idea if that competition still exists.

The Renfrewshire FA doesn't exist   but in the last few years of the Renfrewshire Cup It was administered by the West of Scotland FA.

On 10/07/2023 at 21:28, ClydeTon said:

Would quite like something like that (above) to return. Means we could bin meaningless pre-season games and have a trophy to compete for, and it (as I mentioned above) gives the amateur teams their chance to play the big boys. For all the talk of "communities" I think it would be a nice thing to get going. Perhaps the part with St. Mirren and Morton could be every two years or something, so the novelty of it lasts a wee bit longer.

Wouldn't mind seeing the thing we had on Saturday returning though. Needs to be under the Renfrewshire name for next time, if there is one, though.

Both the Renfrewshire Cup and qualifier Victoria Cup for amateurs are still registered to WOSFA: indeed they're its only tournaments. Did hear this year WOSFA is not 'functioning', whatever that means. (Btw longstanding oddity is St Mirren alone were actually WOSFA members... alongside Lanarkshire + Ayrshire clubs!).

It's worth saying the Victoria Cup is/was not actually open to every amateur club in the Renfrewshires and Inverclyde: but rather operated as a 4-team closed shop. If & when somebody folded a replacement would be invited.

I can't find any reference to the Victoria Cup since 2014-15's Final on Thursday 28th May 2015; of course the Renfrewshire Cup that July was cancelled and VC was only ever a vehicle to send 2x teams into RC and its 'lucrative' SFs.

Today we bid a sad farewell to one of Morton's greats........JOE CAVEN.

Joe more often than not wore the No10 jersey and an 'inside man' role but FAR removed from the expectations of todays No10.

His assists to McGraw were

driven  and expected... his ability to 'fes up' with thugs (Bobby Shearer)  ..full backs of the day didnt go unpunished.

Lots to say about Joe. God bless ye sir.

R.I.P.

8 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

Today we bid a sad farewell to one of Morton's greats........JOE CAVEN.

Joe more often than not wore the No10 jersey and an 'inside man' role but FAR removed from the expectations of todays No10.

His assists to McGraw were

driven  and expected... his ability to 'fes up' with thugs (Bobby Shearer)  ..full backs of the day didnt go unpunished.

Lots to say about Joe. God bless ye sir.

R.I.P.

He was indeed one of Morton's very best and a really nice man. I saw most, possibly all of the games he played at Cappielow although my memory of him is wearing the number 9 shirt. 

He scored what I still remember as the best individual goal I have ever seen against Raith Rovers. The ball bounced behind him and with Bolton the Raith centre half tight against him he back heeled it over both of them and then caught it on the volley and absolutely smashed it into the net. 

I was behind the goals at the Wee Dublin End and the place went wild.

Adamson, Stevenson, Caven, McGraw and Wilson a fantastic front five.

Iain Wilson inbound on loan then. I’d be quite pleased with that, liked him as a player, but just all about his fitness. 

Record also claiming there’s real interest in Crawford (and he’s got a buttons release clause) which is concerning. 

Hope Robbie stays as he's been excelent, but couldn't begrudge him a move if it happens 

Wilson rumour seems bizarre, unless Blues is going to be our RB this season?  Wilson was decent for us when he eventually came onto a game 

7 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Iain Wilson inbound on loan then. I’d be quite pleased with that, liked him as a player, but just all about his fitness. 

Record also claiming there’s real interest in Crawford (and he’s got a buttons release clause) which is concerning. 

Wilson has played about 10 mins for us hurt his foot in our 1st pre season friendly .

Not in any of our squads as he still has pain from his  foot when turning.

On loan as well strange .

If you can somehow can him match fit for us then we will take him back in the New Year.

He is a very good midfielder problem is his fitness.

Crawford going would be a massive blow. You just can't replace his energy and quality at this level. Wilson won't get anyone off their seats but he's a proven player at this level and I imagine he'll be more of a replacement for Gillespie who's been off the pace for months now.

As gutted as I am about Robbie Crawford, it was only a few years ago we lost our best young prospects Quitongo and Tiffoney on free transfers when we really should've been in a position to make some money off them. If these release clauses are how we're enticing our best players to stay on with the guarantee they can leave if a bigger club comes in then I'm fine with that. Fingers crossed it all breaks down, but if not, we're bringing in a five figure transfer fee and have 2 weeks (plus another month in the loan market) to bring in a replacement. For a club with the budget we have this is probably the best we can ask for, so fair play to those behind the scenes.

On 14/08/2023 at 08:29, Mr Toon said:

He was indeed one of Morton's very best and a really nice man. I saw most, possibly all of the games he played at Cappielow although my memory of him is wearing the number 9 shirt. 

He scored what I still remember as the best individual goal I have ever seen against Raith Rovers. The ball bounced behind him and with Bolton the Raith centre half tight against him he back heeled it over both of them and then caught it on the volley and absolutely smashed it into the net. 

I was behind the goals at the Wee Dublin End and the place went wild.

Adamson, Stevenson, Caven, McGraw and Wilson a fantastic front five.

Are you sure that was Joe Caven?  I remember a goal like that scored at the Wee Dublin end but it was by Joe Mason (in the 1966-67 season I think).  IIRC the ball was crossed in from the left, probably by Jim Kennedy at left back, and Mason backheeled it as you describe and as it dropped volleyed it across  and over the keeper.  One of the best goals I have ever seen.  Mason was a great player for us.

Pretty sure Joe Caven was our no. 9 and McGraw was no. 10.

17 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Are you sure that was Joe Caven?  I remember a goal like that scored at the Wee Dublin end but it was by Joe Mason (in the 1966-67 season I think).  IIRC the ball was crossed in from the left, probably by Jim Kennedy at left back, and Mason backheeled it as you describe and as it dropped volleyed it across  and over the keeper.  One of the best goals I have ever seen.  Mason was a great player for us.

Pretty sure Joe Caven was our no. 9 and McGraw was no. 10.

It was a long time ago and in my memory it was Joe Caven and I can't change that now. However Joe Mason was also a fantastic player for us.

Joe Caven was our number 9 and McGraw number 10. Of that I am absolutely certain.

As much as I think Crawford could do very well in the top league in the right team and set up, it would surely be a bit strange for a side to pay money for a guy in his late twenties who has previously spent time at two different clubs up there and ultimately was deemed not good enough. 

I would love for him to go and prove some of the morons in our support even more wrong, as well as hugely weakening yourselves obviously. Saying that - with Imrie, I doubt it would make much difference. 

33 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

As much as I think Crawford could do very well in the top league in the right team and set up, it would surely be a bit strange for a side to pay money for a guy in his late twenties who has previously spent time at two different clubs up there and ultimately was deemed not good enough. 

I would love for him to go and prove some of the morons in our support even more wrong, as well as hugely weakening yourselves obviously. Saying that - with Imrie, I doubt it would make much difference. 

I was slightly underwhelmed by Crawford last season. Not because he was bad, he was consistently pretty good, but because he seemed to just be lacking something I was hoping for. At the start of this season he looks like a player who has found what he was lacking. Playing in a slightly more advanced role behind the striker he has been outstanding. He's looked a class above in that role. Whether it's a purple patch or a player who is coming into his prime, who knows, but on current form I can understand why teams would want him for a small fee. He does look like a player for whom everything in his game has come together at this point. 

Just now, SpoonTon said:

I was slightly underwhelmed by Crawford last season. Not because he was bad, he was consistently pretty good, but because he seemed to just be lacking something I was hoping for. At the start of this season he looks like a player who has found what he was lacking. Playing in a slightly more advanced role behind the striker he has been outstanding. He's looked a class above in that role. Whether it's a purple patch or a player who is coming into his prime, who knows, but on current form I can understand why teams would want him for a small fee. He does look like a player for whom everything in his game has come together at this point. 

Fair enough - I loved him as a player.

He always had that energy and drive, but my favourite thing he did was his mad mazy runs and how easily he could dribble by people at times. I have no idea if he even still does that; but he was always only lacking that little final piece of being consistent in front of goal. 

I’ve never really thought of him as someone who could play behind the striker, but also think he is a little wasted deeper - where I think he spent most of his time in the top league before. Interesting that Imrie has been playing him there! 

If the five figure fee in question is 10K then it's absolutely ridiculous but when we signed Crawford you had no inkling that there'd be the slightest possibility of a fee for him. He was a 28 year old who'd just been released by Partick, hadn't won a contract at Dundee on trial, had struggled to hold down a place in the team at the two top flight clubs he played for previously, and signed for us in August having been a free agent when the league season started.

He's clearly a good enough player and is so important to our style of play that he could make more of a difference in prize money to us over a season than £99K, but if you're getting a transfer fee at all for a player who came to you with that background it's actually really impressive, and makes the club look attractive to potential signings who'll see it as a good move for their chances of playing themselves into offers from a higher level. If it was a choice between this clause in the contract for him to sign the extension in January and him not signing to see what offers he might get this summer, we'd have lost him for nothing in this window anyway.

I struggle to see us replacing Crawford, really. The form he's on at the moment is unbelievable and the quality he is showing is what, in this league, can quote easily elevate a team from a playoff contender to, potentially, more.

The energy off (and ability on) the ball is second to none in our squad - as shown against Ayr, when he pressed them high it did cause issues) and, of course, he's been hammering the goals in. Top scorer for the season by a good distance and joint-top in the league (with Muirhead and United's Cudjoe), although that means nothing at the moment.

Whilst a fee of up to £99k could buy us another player or two - we still have the Rangers game to come, and the main question: Is Crawford worth more than that, in a footballing sense? Would we be able to replace him with someone of the same quality?