Premier League 2015-16

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they stay up, he'll have saved them at least twenty-five times that.

Or if they get relegated they'll be paying a championship manager £80k a week. 

£4 million gets you a top manager or an average player. I know what I'd rather spend it on. 

Yes but they got Rafa Benitez so they got neither. 

Or if they get relegated they'll be paying a championship manager £80k a week.

Yes but they got Rafa Benitez so they got neither.

Firstly, I very much doubt Benitez will still be with them if they go down and Secondly, let's not start pretending that Benitez isn't a top manager.

"I have the pleasure to confirm I have committed to a legendary English club, with the massive challenge of remaining part of the Premier League.

"It will be a challenge not just for me and my staff but for the players, the Club and the fans.

"All of us must push together in the same direction and with the same target in mind. This is the reason why I'm going to ask for your total support to successfully complete this task.

"Personally, it means my return to the Premier League, closer to my home and my family. I can't be happier.

"C'mon Toon Army! The club and I need your total involvement!"

Benitez's official statement after joining  :lol: Seems like clubs don't even bother to hide the fact the PR departments write these now.

Its also being reported theres a break clause in his contract if they get relegated, that both he and the club can activate.

Firstly, I very much doubt Benitez will still be with them if they go down and Secondly, let's not start pretending that Benitez isn't a top manager.

They'll still need to pay off some of the deal and he isn't. A decent manager? Yes. A top one? Not a chance.

They'll still need to pay off some of the deal and he isn't. A decent manager? Yes. A top one? Not a chance.

I would assume there'll be some kind of get out clause for both parties if they're relegated. In regards to his standing as a manager, I'm certainly not saying he's as good as Guardiola or Mourinho but I'd still say he's a top manager.

Real Madrid U-19s

Spain U-19 League: 1992–93

Spain U-19 Cup: 1990–91, 1992–93

Extremadura

Segunda División promotion: 1997–98

Tenerife

Segunda División promotion: 2000–01

Valencia

La Liga: 2001–02, 2003–04

UEFA Cup: 2003–04

Liverpool

FA Cup: 2005–06

FA Community Shield: 2006

UEFA Champions League: 2004–05

UEFA Super Cup: 2005

Inter Milan

Supercoppa Italiana: 2010

FIFA Club World Cup: 2010

Chelsea

UEFA Europa League: 2012–13

Napoli

Coppa Italia: 2013–14

Supercoppa Italiana: 2014

Not bad for just being a 'decent' manager.

Community Shields and Club World Cups :lol:

You were as well just listing his La Liga titles and CL win, those were the major achievements of his career. I'm a fan of Benitez and it's fair to say he was a world class manager 10 years ago, but that was, well, 10 years ago. I'd have him a tier or two below 'world class', but he's still a massive coup for a club of Newcastle's size.

You were as well just listing his La Liga titles and CL win, those were the major achievements of his career. I'm a fan of Benitez and it's fair to say he was a world class manager 10 years ago, but that was, well, 10 years ago. I'd have him a tier or two below 'world class', but he's still a massive coup for a club of Newcastle's size.

This. Tbh id assumed he would head back to Valencia once they finally ended the Neville experiment

I just copied his whole honours list...

Second bit id agree with, top manager and certainly better than just decent, but not at the same level as the elite.

He's a kind of weird manager. One of those who you're only mildly surprised to see getting the Real Madrid job or the Newcastle one. His typical level probably should be an upper mid-table side in a major European league (even though he sometimes gets top jobs), so he's a good coup for Newcastle.

Why post his list to then agree that he isn't a top manager?

:lol:

I didn't? He is a top manager that's been successful at great clubs. He's not in with the elite though, similar to saying somebody was a top player but not at the same level as Messi or Ronaldo..?

He's a very good manager. We're going to see more and more lower-ranked Premier League clubs appointing top names now they've got even richer.

Meanwhile Villa will be getting turned down by Billy Davies and trying to poach the Shrewsbury boss.

Archived