Premier League 2015-16

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stoke City to rename their Stadium 'the Bet365 Stadium' and fill in corner taking their capacity up to 30k.

Great!! Worst away experience there after being held back for an hour and their scum fans still waited to have a go at families and youngsters.

Which is fucking mental considering how many players they have on their books in their development squads and out on loan. I know they generally make a good profit on the majority of their young players, but questions really should be asked about Chelsea's youth set-up if they're unable to produce a single elite level talent after over a decade of investment.

Chelsea's youth team is ridiculously good. They've just won the UEFA Youth League two years running and have won the FA Youth Cup a shit load recently. They just don't get time. Well, until maybe this year and even then they're bit part.

Which is fucking mental considering how many players they have on their books in their development squads and out on loan. I know they generally make a good profit on the majority of their young players, but questions really should be asked about Chelsea's youth set-up if they're unable to produce a single elite level talent after over a decade of investment.

That's the problem when you continually sack managers, if a managers knows one bad run of form is going to get him punted then he's not going to bother promoting youth players which could take years to show a benefit, he's going to go with the experienced proven professionals to get immediate results. You see the same thing it all levels. Gary Bollan was criticised at Airdrie for not 'giving youth a chance', but he never had more than a year left on his contract, so why is he going to piss around giving youth a chance, who may be well out their depth, when he probably isn't going to be around to see the benefit anyway. In these circumstances unless the young player is exceptional they aren't going to get the chance.

I think you're seeing the opposite effect at Spurs. Pochettino has clearly been given time to build a side and therefore has been able to put younger players and give them the time safe in the knowledge that even if they go through a poor run he wont lose his job. Ferguson and Wenger had great records bringing through young players as well for the same reason, their jobs were secure regardless so could afford to plan for the long term. The problem clubs like Chelsea have as that their youth teams are obviously geared towards long term planning, but the first team is all about the short term and instant success, the two don't go together. LVG at Man Utd this year looks a bit like an exception to this, but that seems to be more out of necessity than anything else.

Michael Owen named as Liverpool's International Ambassador. Now, I don't really know what it involves and I really have no time for him being connected with the club in any way these days, but if it means he cannot commentate for BT from now on, what a fantastic appointment, for everyone.

It's in conjunction with his TV work.

Archived