When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

822 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wee Jimmy couldn't accept 55/45 will she now see sense and throw in the towel at as the gap widens. Thankfully the vast majority of the Scottish public have seen through her nasty, bitter rhetoric and failing policies. The SNP have behaved like a gang in suits at Westminster and overseen the decline of every public service in Scotland, no wonder we, aka most of the Scottish people have seen through the tartan and shortbread.

Seek help

1 hour ago, ddfg said:

Wee Jimmy couldn't accept 55/45 will she now see sense and throw in the towel at as the gap widens. Thankfully the vast majority of the Scottish public have seen through her nasty, bitter rhetoric and failing policies. The SNP have behaved like a gang in suits at Westminster and overseen the decline of every public service in Scotland, no wonder we, aka most of the Scottish people have seen through the tartan and shortbread.

And voted Tory. :lol:

Can there be one before 2021 now?
Can't imagine she will call one before the next Holyrood elections, and even then she will only call one then if she gets a pro indy majority.
Interesting times ahead.

Access to the single market was a stated SNP red line

If hard Brexit is softened back to something more Sensible on the back of this then Sturgeon has not just an excuse but something approaching a duty to reconsider

Can there be one before 2021 now?
Can't imagine she will call one before the next Holyrood elections, and even then she will only call one then if she gets a pro indy majority.
Interesting times ahead.

Who knows anymore.

Might be a case of suck up and see the effects of Brexit for a few years but by then it could be too late. Give the Tories enough rope to hang the Union ect .

I think the SNP are too far down the line to change their stance on indyref2. It's been voted through by the Scottish parliament and all the rhetoric has been no politician can decide the constitutional future of our country - that's why we must have a referendum when Brexit negotiations are complete.

For the FM to turn round and say, I take it all back we're postponing indyref2 would be an act of utter folly and hypocrisy.

We have to stick with the original time-table and just go for it! We also may never get another chance as we could fall short of an indy majority in parliament.

Yes, we have to do things differently now and change tactics, but we must put all our effort into winning our referendum.

I watched every Unionist leader in Scotland on the news and everyone of them said the same thing "take indyref2 off the table"  That's just a bit strange as surely they would win given last nights result? Kill indyref2 for a real generation?

Or perhaps it's utter bull-shit and they know Independence is still very much alive?   

I voted Yes last time. I won't be changing my vote anytime. I didn't particularly want a 2nd referendum in 2019 because I'd rather wait until the utter clusterfuck that Brexit is likely to be will put a final nail in the Union's coffin. 

Now.. the Unionist parties are having a nice wee time leaping up and down and looking smug. Except that 35 seats are still SNP. And I can remember when the party only had 2. Even in 1974 they only won 11. This would suggest that there is still significant support for the idea of independence if not further powers for Holyrood.

And the 2014 referendum wasn't exactly an overwhelming endorsement of the Union either,  55%-44% compared to say a 70-30 No vote which is probably why the Unionist Parties were keen not to have a 2nd referendum- otherwise they could have confidently held one and killed the idea of independence dead for a generation.

Which brings me to my point- the rhetoric of the Labour, Lib Dem and Conservatives isn't exactly attractive to Yes voters at the moment, well certainly not to me.  Ruth Davidson has played a good game but will have to stand on Tory policies next time if there's no bogeyman of a referendum to scare the voters with and this means that 3 parties will be chasing the Unionist vote compared to 1 party, SNP (I'll discount the Scottish Greens for Westminister Elections) gaining the Yes votes. 

It may be that this result turns out to be just a Pyrrhic victory for the Scottish Tories. I certainly hope so. 

16 hours ago, ddfg said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  Why are so very many Unionists:

a) Very angry

b) Awful winners

c) Stupid

It's not just one or two of them that hit out with the above rhetoric.  You see slight variations of the above mantra all over social media and comment sections.  I can't imagine going through life so full of vitriol.

Edited by Fide

a) Very angry
b) Awful winners
c) Stupid
It's not just one or two of them that hit out with the above rhetoric.  You see slight variations of the above mantra all over social media and comment sections.  I can't imagine going through life so full of vitriol.

After 2015 I'm not sure nationalists can moan about being awful winners.

Tbh I thought most folk after the referendum result were fairly good in the immediate aftermath. Most no voters in my experience felt relief more than jubilation. I wouldn't take a handful of idiots on here as representative of unionists, any more than I would take some of the angrier nationalists who occasionally post on here as representative of the yes movement.

a) Very angry
b) Awful winners
c) Stupid

Did you see that shower walking through George Sq last week Fidey?
I didn't see a smile amongst em. Plenty of sneering and jeering, giving the Vickies and shouting obscenities. Certainly not a happy bunch.
Perhaps even less so after Thursday's results.
It isn't difficult to see why the ordinary punter is put off by the nastier side of Scottish separatism.

3 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

After 2015 I'm not sure nationalists can moan about being awful winners.

Tbh I thought most folk after the referendum result were fairly good in the immediate aftermath. Most no voters in my experience felt relief more than jubilation. I wouldn't take a handful of idiots on here as representative of unionists, any more than I would take some of the angrier nationalists who occasionally post on here as representative of the yes movement.

That was my point.  It's not just a handful of idiots on here.  You see them all over social media, in every newspaper comment section, in the audience on question time - everywhere.

And they all spout varying shades of the below:

" Wee Jimmy couldn't accept 55/45 will she now see sense and throw in the towel at as the gap widens. Thankfully the vast majority of the Scottish public have seen through her nasty, bitter rhetoric and failing policies. The SNP have behaved like a gang in suits at Westminster and overseen the decline of every public service in Scotland, no wonder we, aka most of the Scottish people have seen through the tartan and shortbread. "

That was my point.  It's not just a handful of idiots on here.  You see them all over social media, in every newspaper comment section, in the audience on question time - everywhere.
And they all spout varying shades of the below:
" Wee Jimmy couldn't accept 55/45 will she now see sense and throw in the towel at as the gap widens. Thankfully the vast majority of the Scottish public have seen through her nasty, bitter rhetoric and failing policies. The SNP have behaved like a gang in suits at Westminster and overseen the decline of every public service in Scotland, no wonder we, aka most of the Scottish people have seen through the tartan and shortbread. "

No worse than nationalists on social media. In person the vast majority on both sides are reasonable people, considering the actions of cyber Nats it's ridiculous to suggest unionists are any worse. It's just people using the Internet for a layer of anonymity to be angry idiots. Every political persuasion as them but they are largely confined to the Internet.