When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

820 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

State of thisIMG_20190116_151524.jpg.84d787202e610758c398a84364fee3ea.jpg

Looks like a photo in the local rag, of a works lottery syndicate whose numbers have come up, only to find out that the guy who came round for their subs on a Friday was spending it down the pub!
The photographer saying ‘’right all set folks, let’s have you all looking proper fed up’’!!

Looks like a photo in the local rag, of a works lottery syndicate whose numbers have come up, only to find out that the guy who came round for their subs on a Friday was spending it down the pub!
The photographer saying ‘’right all set folks, let’s have you all looking proper fed up’’!!
Except its obviously a still from a video

36 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

It's not even his joke. I saw it on Twitter yesterday and it was barely funny then.

I would've went for "your mum and the extended family when you tell them you believe we're better together."

Two scenarios....1. The UK leaves the EU either end of March, or in July....if so, the Indy Ref problem is then coming up against a 'what about the hard border potential now between Scotland and England, how can we continue to trade with England without having a hard border (if an Indy Scotland was in the EU). This situation would probably ramp up the No vote.

2. There is a 2nd EU Ref which Remain wins. Well neigh impossible to make the short term case for Scotland leaving a UK which is continuing to operate within EU markets, especially following all the chaos of the last few months.

In short, then reckon an Indy ref is now off the table until potentially sometime in the 2026-31 Scottish parliament cycle as others suggest, as the SNP will be unable to carry the numbers in 2021.

If we press ahead with one this year, after the UK leaves the EU I fear that we would get the same result as 2014 of around 55-45, due to the hard border issue, and probably also currency still being an ongoing contentious issue.

Edited by Jedi

50 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Two scenarios....1. The UK leaves the EU either end of March, or in July....if so, the Indy Ref problem is then coming up against a 'what about the hard border potential now between Scotland and England, how can we continue to trade with England without having a hard border (if an Indy Scotland was in the EU). This situation would probably ramp up the No vote.

2. There is a 2nd EU Ref which Remain wins. Well neigh impossible to make the short term case for Scotland leaving a UK which is continuing to operate within EU markets, especially following all the chaos of the last few months.

In short, then reckon an Indy ref is now off the table until potentially sometime in the 2026-31 Scottish parliament cycle as others suggest, as the SNP will be unable to carry the numbers in 2021.

If we press ahead with one this year, after the UK leaves the EU I fear that we would get the same result as 2014 of around 55-45, due to the hard border issue, and probably also currency still being an ongoing contentious issue.

I'd go for April 1st if there's a hard brexit. The actual referendum would take a while, but if Westminster allows an utter shitfest to happen while the SNP have consistently fought against it, it could be a matter of seizing the moment. Out of chaos flowers bloom, and minor questions of currency etc could be put on the back burner.

Just now, welshbairn said:

I'd go for April 1st if there's a hard brexit. The actual referendum would take a while, but if Westminster allows an utter shitfest to happen while the SNP have consistently fought against it, it could be a matter of seizing the moment. Out of chaos flowers bloom, and minor questions of currency etc could be put on the back burner.

Ah! The back burner. So. Take May's Brexit strategy?

2 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

I'm hoping the SNP already have their messages sorted out, but if not there would be a honeymoon period to refine them.

Unless there is substantial shift in May's (and Corbyn's) stance then the Brexit deal (or No Deal) is going to be shit.  

It will be clear that Scottish interests have been completely ignored at every stage of the debate.

IndyRef2 will happen if there is hard Brexit - as it stands I just can't see there being anything else because of the two intransigent arseholes leading the 2 front benches.

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I'd go for it, some high minded dork in SNP towers will reject it as "stooping to their level"

The facts and rational argument are well passé these days, elections and referenda are fought on emotion, mainly fear and hatred. The SNP need to get up to speed. FREEDOM!

Take the point about announcing an Indy Ref if there is a No deal Brexit due to the chaos, but as soon as Nicola has said it there will be Tories shouting about a hard border between Scotland and England destroying trade.  The currency proposal would have to be fixed in advance as it wont go away. Of course natural Yes voters will still accept a hard border but it immediately puts the campaign on the back foot imo. Better to led the Brexit shambles settle down, wait until it is seen to be a disaster and then argue for the Scottish economy being better off back inside some kind of European arrangement. 

Obviously we have to get the timing spot on as another defeat sets it back for decades.