When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

822 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why on Earth would the SNP fold when there isn't another party in Scotland that can come near them right now?
I don't think you're getting this, ST is bang on the money. Look on the SNP as the wee motorised plane which takes the glider marked 'Scottish Independence' airborne and then flies into the sunset. Parties will emerge and folk like me might get to vote Labour again.

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Looking forward to tons of folk from Newton Mearns developing a working class patois to match their tweeting styles and avoid the gulags. They will fail. Dekulakisation of Meadowside and Bearsden, empty the West Ends.

I'll be employing scores of 30 year old wee fuds to go undercover in Milngavie and Portobello schools to ensure teachers were sufficiently aware of supervision

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Looking forward to tons of folk from Newton Mearns developing a working class patois to match their tweeting styles and avoid the gulags. They will fail. Dekulakisation of Meadowside and Bearsden, empty the West Ends.

DCC0131E-256A-4C89-9B91-3B1DC34038C2.gif.99d134bf9adb9e737e4faa48ed8c0963.gif

2 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Not entirely true. The majority of the local population support the site. There's a very loud but vocal minority, who seem to think the Far North needs to be preserved as some sort of sterile tourist Disneyland, ignoring the needs of local workers who will slowly but surely continue to leave for jobs elsewhere, a process that will be accelerated over time with Dounreay decommissioning. Don't get me wrong, we need to protect and preseve the environment and spectacular landscapes, but this can be done whilst creating opportunities for skilled workers locally. The Covid epidemic has shown that many jobs can be done remotely, perhaps something to promote?

The world's  biggest ever man made moveable concrete floating 600,000 ton platform Ninian Central was built in 1978 in Loch Kishorn, the work force at it's peak was so large they hired a passenger ship to house some or the workers.

On completion the construction site was returned to it's natural state with no environmental impact.

Platform and rig construction was moved to the likes of Middlesborough in the North of england.

With Nigg and Ardersier shut down all we have now in our lochs is fish farms employing a few locals.

How the feck did we let that happen? is the question our grandkids and great grandkids will be asking.

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

It's not always necessarily about power per se, it's that there's been a fair amount of centralisation already in the last few years within Scotland.  For example, even a couple of years ago if you phoned 999 in Inverness, the person in the call centre was usually in the town, knew the town and that was a massive help.  Now when you phone 999 in Inverness you get someone in Dundee and in the time the whole call would've taken previously, they're still trying to get Google Maps up.  I can't imagine what it would be like trying to explain your location in somewhere up in the far north west.

In regards to the Highland Council I've heard the line before that "Inverness gets everything" and there's probably some truth in that.  The Highland Council region is absolutely monstrous.  Having a council area with a population bigger than Iceland and a land mass bigger than Belgium in a country of Scotland's size is ridiculous.  Surely your council should at least be local - no-one can surely argue that Wick and Fort William are in any way local to each other.  It's time Highland was split up, with Inverness, Lochaber, Caithness etc having their own individual council regions.

On the subject of the HC, just a wee btw;

The councillor for the Durness area is a big Caley fan and used to regularly attend matches

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

All this talk of Shetland etc wanting independence is diversionary unionist talk borne out of the sheer panic at the latest polls.

It has all the relevance of a fart in a sewage works.

Except it's the Shetlanders themselves who are doing the talking rather than the 'diversionary unionists'.

What I'd like to see, if/when Indyref2 is granted, is a package of measure for regions/businesses who don't want to be part of the Caledonian Transnistria in the event that the votes is in favour. I'd include the likes of:

• Relocation support for businesses who want to move south to include staff support, office/warehousing/manufacturing facilities in English regions and some sort of business rates package to make the transition easier.
  • Direct grants for those regions contiguous to rUK (D&G and Borders) who want to stay as they are and to integrate them into the rest of the country.  Extend that to S Lanarkshire and E Lothian if there's sufficient uptake.
  • Some sort of special status for the non-contiguous regions such as Shetland and maybe Orkney to either plough their own furrow or to join rUK.  The Crown Dependency of Aberdeen(shire) would need a lot of support but the notion of it as a British exclave is workable.

The UK Gov has to eschew this idea that Scotland is an homogeneous entity both politically and socially and make provision for the decent parts of the country to either continue our delightful partnership or to have the option to have their own independence.

Nationalism is mostly supported by the glengarried-up tartan gonks from the worst housing schemes in the Paisley/Glasgow/N Lanarkshire/Dundee rust belt so there has to be provision to isolate these people from the rest of decent society and, with a £12 billion per annum Scexit bonus, we can afford to do it.

23 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Except it's the Shetlanders themselves who are doing the talking rather than the 'diversionary unionists'.

What I'd like to see, if/when Indyref2 is granted, is a package of measure for regions/businesses who don't want to be part of the Caledonian Transnistria in the event that the votes is in favour. I'd include the likes of:

• Relocation support for businesses who want to move south to include staff support, office/warehousing/manufacturing facilities in English regions and some sort of business rates package to make the transition easier.
  • Direct grants for those regions contiguous to rUK (D&G and Borders) who want to stay as they are and to integrate them into the rest of the country.  Extend that to S Lanarkshire and E Lothian if there's sufficient uptake.
  • Some sort of special status for the non-contiguous regions such as Shetland and maybe Orkney to either plough their own furrow or to join rUK.  The Crown Dependency of Aberdeen(shire) would need a lot of support but the notion of it as a British exclave is workable.

The UK Gov has to eschew this idea that Scotland is an homogeneous entity both politically and socially and make provision for the decent parts of the country to either continue our delightful partnership or to have the option to have their own independence.

Nationalism is mostly supported by the glengarried-up tartan gonks from the worst housing schemes in the Paisley/Glasgow/N Lanarkshire/Dundee rust belt so there has to be provision to isolate these people from the rest of decent society and, with a £12 billion per annum Scexit bonus, we can afford to do it.

*Hic*

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Brilliant

10 hours ago, G51 said:

Who mentioned Caithness in this?

14 hours ago, G51 said:

It's the first (of many to come, I suspect) example of a Highlands and Islands community pushing for independence.

Did I miss the memo where Caithness wasn't covered by the phrase "Highlands and Islands community"?

(No, I did not)

2 hours ago, Alan Stubbs said:

I remember Kincardine’s patter being mostly based on triumphalist smugness. This level of tears and snorters tells you everything you need to know about the way things are going.

Although I’m not against this giving the Borders to England idea, tbh. 

The Borders and D&G for starters.

As I said in my post, any future referendum really should have an opt-out clause - sustained by the £12Bn Scexit premium - for the 'nice' parts of Scotland to distance themselves from scheme-dwelling Natter horde.

There is nothing controversial in this.