When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

822 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Legally there is no difference.

Morally though it is not acceptable.

The funds were ring fenced which means guaranteed to be spent on the referendum.  They have been spent on something else.  It's like these fake go fund me pages that are setup.  If there is no £600k in the SNP bank account then they have spent it and "putting it back" later doesn't excuse the previous actions.

I still think there will be a criminal investigation into this.

The funds were ring fenced which means guaranteed to be spent on the referendum.  They have been spent on something else.  It's like these fake go fund me pages that are setup.  If there is no £600k in the SNP bank account then they have spent it and "putting it back" later doesn't excuse the previous actions.
It depends how the donations were set up - to ring-fence a donation the donor has to explicitly state that it is going to that ring-fenced fund. That would mean the form to make the donation would have to have some sort of affirmation of the use of the monies.

If it is just going into general donations off the back of publicity (and I haven't seen that publicity - it would be interesting) then it's impossible to distinguish between what is a general donation and what is a ring-fenced donation.

If it is the former then there clearly would have to be a criminal investigation - if it is the latter, whilst morally wrong, would not be a criminal offence.

The one thing it does add to, along with the evidence in the Salmond trial etc, is the feeling that Peter Murrell's coat should be on a shoogly peg.

2 hours ago, strichener said:

The funds were ring fenced which means guaranteed to be spent on the referendum.  They have been spent on something else. 

The funds will be spent on a referendum campaign.

2 hours ago, strichener said:

Pish.

20 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

earmark
/ˈɪəmɑːk/

verb
past tense: earmarked; past participle: earmarked
designate (funds or resources) for a particular purpose.

Interesting that you didn't provide the dictionary definition of ring-fenced.  Here it is:

ring-fenced
adjective
   FINANCE
protected and only able to be used for a particular purpose

Clearly two different things.
Edited by strichener

3 minutes ago, strichener said:

Interesting that you didn't provide the dictionary definition of ring-fenced.  Here it is:

ring-fenced
adjective
   FINANCE
protected and only able to be used for a particular purpose

Clearly two different things.

3 minutes ago, strichener said:

earmark
/ˈɪəmɑːk/

verb
past tense: earmarked; past participle: earmarked
designate (funds or resources) for a particular purpose.

Clearly the same fucking thing.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It depends how the donations were set up - to ring-fence a donation the donor has to explicitly state that it is going to that ring-fenced fund. That would mean the form to make the donation would have to have some sort of affirmation of the use of the monies.

If it is just going into general donations off the back of publicity (and I haven't seen that publicity - it would be interesting) then it's impossible to distinguish between what is a general donation and what is a ring-fenced donation.

If it is the former then there clearly would have to be a criminal investigation - if it is the latter, whilst morally wrong, would not be a criminal offence.

The one thing it does add to, along with the evidence in the Salmond trial etc, is the feeling that Peter Murrell's coat should be on a shoogly peg.

One of the site's yes.scot had the following in 2019

Our plan is to distribute An Independent Scotland: Household Guide to every household – all 2,460,000 of them! To achieve that, I am asking you to join me in making a donation to this specific project.

There may well have been such a guide but it never made it to my house.

By May 2020 the site had changed to

The independence campaign is people powered and you can help to provide Yes campaigners with the materials to reach every part of Scotland.

Even a few pounds will make a difference. No matter how large or small, your donation will go direct to this campaign.

With your support, we can make sure that Scotland has a choice about its future.

Interesting how that first one is phrased - "Our plan is ..."

That is an imprecise commitment - like me saying I plan to retire at 60 - it's not certain.

The second statement makes it even vaguer.

When you made the donation was there anything explicit in the form you completed?

That's what really matters.

Considering the absolute abominations that regularly post on this thread, you simply have to say fair play to both Strichener and Baxter Parp for their continued commitment to being the complete worst that this sub-forum has to offer.

Suffering from Grimbo / Rab B Nesibitt levels of simultaneous cringing and eye-bleeding boredom from reading their exchanges.

2 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Considering the absolute abominations that regularly post on this thread, you simply have to say fair play to both Strichener and Baxter Parp for their continued commitment to being the complete worst that this sub-forum has to offer.

Well, f**k you kindly for forgetting Kincy and Stormzy.

7 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

As absolutely wild as it is to say, I didn’t...

Maybe something to reflect on during your next tedious spat?

If this place wasn't such an echo chamber where independence supporting posters keep silent when there is anything critical of the SNP posted then it would be full of proper debate instead of you complaining about posters.

What is your opinion on the SNP taking donations for a specific purpose and using it for other purposes?

If this place wasn't such an echo chamber where independence supporting posters keep silent when there is anything critical of the SNP posted then it would be full of proper debate instead of you complaining about posters.
What is your opinion on the SNP taking donations for a specific purpose and using it for other purposes?

***smirks knowingly as he reads the words “proper debate” before scrolling back up the page to re-read the two aforementioned posters semantically quoting dictionary definitions at each other***

Proper debate...sure.

In terms of PR and Political optics it’s obviously not great and questions should rightly be asked as to why it wasn’t left untouched, but in reality, as long as it’s replaced and utilised for the intended purpose post-pandemic then it’ll be ranked about a trillionth in the worst things a government on this batshit island has done since 1st January 2020.

1 minute ago, J_Stewart said:

***smirks knowingly as he reads the words “proper debate” before scrolling back up the page to re-read the two aforementioned posters semantically quoting dictionary definitions at each other***

Reported for anti-semanticism.

Also, imagine thinking that smirking knowingly is a good thing.  Fucking hell.

50 minutes ago, strichener said:

I’m a lifelong independence supporter and was a member of the SNP until this year, going back to 2006. 
The SNP have done a lot of indefensible things under Sturgeon and the fraudulent use of donated funds is only one of them. The party leadership is corrupt at its very core and I see no prospect of independence or even a referendum under the current leadership. 

I will be very glad to see the day when Sturgeon and Murrell are out and I hope I can return to the party.