When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What do we all think about Maybot? 

If I was an utter bore like Gordon I'm sure I could make an argument that her "robotic" nature is partly due to similar non femine qualities that she had which lead to this othering for non stereotypical female politicans. 

I think it's easy to point out how certain insults aimed at politicans only stick due to the gender of the politican but I think it's a lot harder arguing that these insults are driven solely by their gender. 

Edited by Stormzy

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

Fair enough but I don't think Krankie makes any insult as to not being feminine enough - it's a moniker that seems apt just because there's a fleeting resemblance and both are (in some parts) seen as Scottish women with some comedic value. It fits, it sticks.

And Nippy - my interpretation anyway - is a condensed Nippy Sweetie. You get both men and women described as such. And again, it seems to fit her character.

Boris gets called bumbling, daft wee Willie, Ruth the mooth, etc. It's cheap insults, petty digs, absolutely - I get that both are pejorative but I just don't see them as being inherently misogynistic.

I have lived in Scotland all my life and never once have I ever head any man described as a nippy sweetie. I don't believe that happens.

"Bumbling" isn't gendered, nor is "daft", or "the mooth". Nippy Sweetie is definitely gendered. And it's designed to undermine assertive women. It's like how only women get called bossy, but worse.

Krankie isn't nearly as bad but it's still slagging off a woman about being ugly, and that's tied to how women are objectified. Men often get the same type of abuse - not to the same extent of course - but men as a whole aren't expected by society to be good-looking or to dress well.

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

Insulting a woman for not looking feminine enough for your standards is just sexist. She's not here to please us with her appearance.

Nippy is worse though - no man is ever called that and there's not even a male equivalent at all. It's part of telling women how to behave, and that they're not allowed to behave the same as men. If they're assertive they get called Nippy. A man acting the exact same way would be called tough, combative, no-nonsense at most.

In any case Sturgeon isn't even a particularly combative politician. She's no more combative than Salmond and he got called many things, but never Nippy or any equivalent pejorative term.

The fact that there isn't an equivalent term for men is pretty telling.

The pejorative normally thrown at men is around the trope of “ego” or penis size, or if a man is short he is accused of having “small man syndrome”.

again, I couldn’t care less. Those who torture themselves on these linguistic semantics and seek to ascribe additional negative significance to everything people say need to get better hobbies. 

12 hours ago, GordonS said:

Anyone calling Sturgeon Nippy or Krankie needs to find the coldest, deepest darkest patch of sea they can find and deposit themselves therein.

It's not just yer da patter, it's also misogynist.

Call her an arsehole if you want but try to use insults that tell me more about her than they do about you.

People who refer to the sea in this way need to develop new patter urgently. 

27 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

The pejorative normally thrown at men is around the trope of “ego” or penis size, or if a man is short he is accused of having “small man syndrome”.

again, I couldn’t care less. Those who torture themselves on these linguistic semantics and seek to ascribe additional negative significance to everything people say need to get better hobbies. 

Yep - they need to get a life.

Tends to be people in the public service. Must be all the diversity training.

38 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Ego doesn't remotely carry the same pejorative sense as nippy sweetie.

I'm sorry you can't see how words have the power to cause great harm and to shape how we see the world. They do they, and you're just plain wrong. 

38 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

People who refer to the sea in this way need to develop new patter urgently. 

That's a really weak attempt at a comeback because you feel it's aimed at people like you. Maybe you should head back to the shallow end.

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I'm sorry you can't see how words have the power to cause great harm and to shape how we see the world. They do they, and you're just plain wrong. 

Says the atheist that calls catholics beadrattlers then doubles down when called out for it. 

Absolutley mental behaviour. 

Gordon logic - Gendered insult against leader of the country = Bad. 

Anti catholic slur = Okay. 

Edited by Stormzy

14 minutes ago, GordonS said:

You have the monopoly on wisdom when it comes to the use of language within the human societal construct? I see. 

What are your credentials?

14 minutes ago, GordonS said:

That's a really weak attempt at a comeback because you feel it's aimed at people like you. Maybe you should head back to the shallow end.

It’s not aimed at people like me. I don’t use pejorative gendered language. I simply don’t care very much if others do. I have no interest in policing the words of others.

Pure arguing on a fitba forum and wanting you to post a link to your google scholar page with its 18 highly cited monographs about the krankies

Tbf, I love giving vague hunches then shouting down anyone else who does the same but with an opinion I think is wrong

6 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Yep - they need to get a life.

Tends to be people in the public service. Must be all the diversity training.

We public sector employees have to do mandatory diversity and equality training on an annual basis in case we forget. It’s great.

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

I also dislike that ‘get in the sea’ patter. Not sure where it came from but I’ve never taken to it. What does it even mean? Do you want to drown people?

Nippy Nicola being misogynistic?  Asked my wife why she uses the phrase and got told it was the way she delivers her lectures.

I'm sure if her name was Claire it would be Condescending Claire or other similar adjectives.

Given the general venom shown towards any Torys on here, the "I'm sorry you can't see how words have the power to cause great harm and to shape how we see the world. ".  doesn't really hold up to scrutiny.

I don't like the Krankie reference because it's describing her based on her appearance which is a bit low IMO. As for Nippy? It's just a bit of shite alliteration, no? It's monotonous how much it's used.

Having done a quick Google search, here's what Sturgeon herself has said on the name.

'“But here’s the real nub and here’s the trap for women. You find yourself emulating the traits that in men are seen as strengths. Then you quickly realise that in women they are not seen as strengths. So the male politician who’s very assertive, aggressive and adversarial is a great, strong leader. A woman is bossy and strident – a nippy sweetie as they used to call me.”'

Didn't even think of nippy sweetie tbf.

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I don't like the Krankie reference because it's describing her based on her appearance which is a bit low IMO. As for Nippy? It's just a bit of shite alliteration, no? It's monotonous how much it's used.

Having done a quick Google search, here's what Sturgeon herself has said on the name.

'“But here’s the real nub and here’s the trap for women. You find yourself emulating the traits that in men are seen as strengths. Then you quickly realise that in women they are not seen as strengths. So the male politician who’s very assertive, aggressive and adversarial is a great, strong leader. A woman is bossy and strident – a nippy sweetie as they used to call me.”'

Didn't even think of nippy sweetie tbf.

Indeed, it's the level of discourse from those that have inherent advantage that is bothersome. For them then to deflect their Eddie Booth like behaviour on diversity is interesting.

I also dislike that ‘get in the sea’ patter. Not sure where it came from but I’ve never taken to it. What does it even mean? Do you want to drown people?

Bob Mortimer’s shit and untalented friend Andy Dawson wrote a book about things that should get in the sea IIRC.