When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Caledonian1 said:

Is that a promise?  Or perhaps in keeping with the Better Together twins you will do a u-turn and be here again later today

I see we have an alias red dotter.  What a sad fucking life.

18 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

So which part of "'sound public finances' and 'fiscal rules informed by best financial practice' as well as placing a limit on borrowing for day to day spending, and debt." do you disagree with?

That doesn't look like much of an explanation of your conclusion.

Edited by HandsomeRichard

27 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

That was the quote I originally replied to Mr Sock Puppet.

You liked Lex''s response - care to say which part of the quote you disagree with?

I just didn't like you calling Jedi an "economic illiterate" and was hoping you'd back up the assertion with substance, as Lex had requested.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
On 01/12/2022 at 21:18, Billy Jean King said:
New alias alert, new alias alert, new alias alert......

You can spot them pretty much on post 1 these days, it's utterly bizarre behaviour.

It must be a very sad existence.

I just didn't like you calling Jedi an "economic illiterate" and was hoping you'd back up the assertion with substance, as Lex had requested.

You joined in half a conversation, as did Lex.

He's at least had sense not to reply because he knows I am right. There's not one part of that quote that isn’t practised by most governments. When those principles are ignored then you tend you get fucked over by the financial markets - Kwasi Kwarteng tried to do that and got royally shafted.

14 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

You joined in half a conversation, as did Lex.

He's at least had sense not to reply because he knows I am right. There's not one part of that quote that isn’t practised by most governments. When those principles are ignored then you tend you get fucked over by the financial markets - Kwasi Kwarteng tried to do that and got royally shafted.

I think you are the illiterate one.  Nobody has questioned the principles.  Scotland by any measure is running a deficit so how do we get to the position where we are not borrowing excessively for day to day expenditure, which you yourself has stated is "good practice"

Edited by strichener

I think you are the illiterate one.  Nobody has questioned the principles.  Scotland by any measure is running a deficit so how do we get to the position where we are not borrowing excessively for day to day expenditure, which you yourself has stated is "good practice"

He clearly did question the principles (as he has done on previous occasions) - why quote them?

6 hours ago, strichener said:

How does the UK manage to maintain its public expenditure?

Given it has barely been out of deficit for the last 50 years.

1 hour ago, git-intae-thum said:

How does the UK manage to maintain its public expenditure?

Given it has barely been out of deficit for the last 50 years.

By its central bank printing money and buying government debt is how it has managed over the last decade and a half.

Not an option for a newly independent Scotland.

52 minutes ago, strichener said:

By its central bank printing money and buying government debt is how it has managed over the last decade and a half.

Not an option for a newly independent Scotland.

Only during any period of initial sterlingisation.

Scotland is a resource rich developed economy. Our own currency, will allow exactly the same mechanisms avaliable to manage deficit as any other nation.

This is a good link examining requirements.

https://www.economicsobservatory.com/what-new-institutions-of-economic-policy-would-an-independent-scotland-need

The whole deficit issue in an independent Scotland (including the fact that there is no way to currently examine revenue offset against future spending decisions) is a bit of a red herring tbh.

3 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

Only during any period of initial sterlingisation.

Scotland is a resource rich developed economy. Our own currency, will allow exactly the same mechanisms avaliable to manage deficit as any other nation.

This is a good link examining requirements.

https://www.economicsobservatory.com/what-new-institutions-of-economic-policy-would-an-independent-scotland-need

The whole deficit issue in an independent Scotland (including the fact that there is no way to currently examine revenue offset against future spending decisions) is a bit of a red herring tbh.

It isn't a red herring at all.  Scotland will have a deficit from day 1 of independence unless there are severe cuts to public spending or tax increases.  Anyone suggesting otherwise is either deluded or ignorant.  Since we are suggesting sterlingisation then how do we balance the books or issue debt?

Unless of course someone is suggesting that Scotland doesn't run a deficit. 🤨

15 hours ago, strichener said:

It isn't a red herring at all.  Scotland will have a deficit from day 1 of independence unless there are severe cuts to public spending or tax increases.  Anyone suggesting otherwise is either deluded or ignorant.  Since we are suggesting sterlingisation then how do we balance the books or issue debt?

Unless of course someone is suggesting that Scotland doesn't run a deficit. 🤨

Although the SNP have undeniably and inconceivably dragged heels on this, I think they are gradually moving away from the sterlingisation plan. Adopting a new currency, preferably as close after the end of a transition period, is the sensible option. It allows the aforementioned levers of control.

With regard to deficit, most of Europe (apart from some notable examples remarkably similar to Scotland🤔) have consistently run deficit for a number of years. An actual annual deficit is not that important. 

What is important is the level of annual deficit.....and whether like the UK's it becomes structured long term into the public economy and therefore leaves the country heading towards a slow and steady decline.

Obviously current GERs figures cannot and should not be used to base presumptions on the finances of an independent Scotland.

So with a lack of accurate figures we are left with a red herring argument.

If I was to wager though......given that Scotland is an energy resource rich, advanced and varied exporting economy with a positive BofP and GDP comparable to similar sized European nations, and if it adopted a West European spend model..... I don't think any deficit at independence will be too far off the regional averages.

3 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Stephen Flynn, new Westminster leader.

Mhairi Black, deputy. 

I would have preferred Alison Thewliss to be honest, a safer pair of hands but on the other hand I anticipate a rather more aggressive stance from these two, some #scenes but also some mistakes too. 

I haven't been following too closely but if this gets J Cherry agitated, I'd not be be at all perturbed