When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Go on...

Are you old enough to remember the Labour administrations? Before the SNP got in and started actually doing stuff there was plenty of disquiet because devolution seemed a bit pointless as decisions were still basically being signed off by Westminster. Disquiet does not equal disapproval.

Yes I am.  You're talking about approval ratings of the Scottish government, that's talking about the Scottish parliament they're very different things.  Undoubtedly things have improved dramatically since the SNP win power but devolution itself and thus the existence of the parliament has always been overwhelmingly popular. 

The book clearly tries to rewrite history and was probably written by a raging unionist who hates devolution.  Like every Tory and almost all labour supporters and representatives for example.

Go on...
Are you old enough to remember the Labour administrations? Before the SNP got in and started actually doing stuff there was plenty of disquiet because devolution seemed a bit pointless as decisions were still basically being signed off by Westminster. Disquiet does not equal disapproval.

For the early years of the Scottish Parliament

Westminster was run by a centre left Labour Party that was probably more in step with mainstream sentiment in Scotland than the UK as a whole.

Under those circumstances it would have been surprising if the Scottish Parliament’s programme had differed wildly with the Westminster one.

Has the history curriculum at Scottish secondary schools changed since when I attended in the 90s?  Serious question.  I remember picking history as a subject at standard grade and we seemed to be taught an awful lot about the agricultural and industrial revolutions, WW1, WW2 and the US civil war, spending months writing essays and watching numerous historical videos.  Yet when it came to Scottish history it seemed we hardly got anytime at all learning about our own history, Culloden for a couple of class periods and nothing on the clearances.  It still pisses me off to this day.   Has it changed now?

Higher History is divided into three modules: Scotland, Britain and World history. The BGE is more varied but any school I was at, or friends were at, there was a clear focus on Scottish history anywhere from Skara Brae to immigration/ emigration.

51 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

History in my school was pish like the corn laws, disraeli, gladstone,the tolpuddle martyrs, victoria and various monarchs, empire building and finally the first world war.

Ah, modern studies.

Has the history curriculum at Scottish secondary schools changed since when I attended in the 90s?  Serious question.  I remember picking history as a subject at standard grade and we seemed to be taught an awful lot about the agricultural and industrial revolutions, WW1, WW2 and the US civil war, spending months writing essays and watching numerous historical videos.  Yet when it came to Scottish history it seemed we hardly got anytime at all learning about our own history, Culloden for a couple of class periods and nothing on the clearances.  It still pisses me off to this day.   Has it changed now?

I wrote a speech about this for a burns supper recently.

The biggest crime in recent years was shoehorning the first world war topic into the Scottish section (mentioned above). It ruins the war topic and also focuses on a fairly dry part of Scottish history (postwar industry etc,).

The migration topic (usually taught at higher) is very good imo, and reflects a lot of issues in modern Scotland.

Many schools also do Wallace and Bruce in the bge (s1-3).

History in my school was pish like the corn laws, disraeli, gladstone,the tolpuddle martyrs, victoria and various monarchs, empire building and finally the first world war.
Nowt wrong with the tolpuddle martyrs mate, but I'll give you the rest.

1 hour ago, dirty dingus said:

Scottish folklore like Bruce and the spider in Primary School, then Sweden where it was the Hundred Year War, French Revolution, Swedish emigration to America etc, back to Scotland where the History teacher was a piss head so just reading comics and the like, then Modern Studies where we actually learnt a lot about US and UK politics.

2 hours ago, Stinky Bone said:

Yet when it came to Scottish history it seemed we hardly got anytime at all learning about our own history, Culloden for a couple of class periods and nothing on the clearances.  It still pisses me off to this day.   Has it changed now?

The problem with teaching history wrt both Culloden and The Clearances is that both are mired in myth and lore.  The same is true of the tattie famine in Ireland.  Nostalgia and tribalism come to the fore when these topics are discussed.

A recent In Our Time broadcast on The Clearances is well worth a listen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09tc4tm

19 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

The problem with teaching history wrt both Culloden and The Clearances is that both are mired in myth and lore.  The same is true of the tattie famine in Ireland.  Nostalgia and tribalism come to the fore when these topics are discussed.

Absolute shocker a raging britnat wants to dilute the disgusting actions of Britain in Scotland and Ireland.  Colour me astonished.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Scottish folklore like Bruce and the spider in Primary School, then Sweden where it was the Hundred Year War, French Revolution, Swedish emigration to America etc, back to Scotland where the History teacher was a piss head so just reading comics and the like, then Modern Studies where we actually learnt a lot about US and UK politics.

Mines liked a swally too and had those wee white balls of spit at the side of his mouth and was forever dissapearing during lessons. He is now Provost of Inverclyde.

Tattie Famine Denier

1 hour ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Weirdo.  And if you want to talk about periods shrouded in myth and lore you might want to start with the British empire, one of the bloodiest periods in human history.

Terrific.  The things that put Scotland on the map were: The Protestant Reformation, The Williamite Revolution and The Act of Union.  I'd be happy to debate how much Scotland benefited from and contributed to Empire.  Are you game?

59 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Mines liked a swally too and had those wee white balls of spit at the side of his mouth and was forever dissapearing during lessons. He is now Provost of Inverclyde.

:lol:

4 hours ago, Stinky Bone said:

Sounds like pretty much the same curriculum I got in the 70s - WW1, US Civil War and the Industrial Revolution.  In primary I learned more about Hereward The Wake and Alfred The Great than anything Scottish.

26 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Terrific.  The things that put Scotland on the map were: The Protestant Reformation, The Williamite Revolution and The Act of Union.  I'd be happy to debate how much Scotland benefited from and contributed to Empire.  Are you game?

Are you a bigot? Just asking because that's a protestant history not a Scottish one.