When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

822 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, tirso said:

You just claimed offence on behalf of 5.4m Scots to a reasonable claim.  Away and lie down.  That's a lot for anybody.

If you genuinely believe that a country which is in the global top 20% for wealth per capita isn't ready for independence then what do you suggest needs to be done to make us ready?

Just now, Tibbermoresaint said:

If you genuinely believe that a country which is in the global top 20% for wealth per capita isn't ready for independence then what do you suggest needs to be done to make us ready?

Have another read of that comment in the context I used it.  You might enlighten yourself.

Anyone know what polling is for Devo Max / Full Fiscal Autonomy these days?
I think one lesson from brexit is it would be good to get to a position where a substantial proportion of the electorate are in favour.
Status quo and Indy are polarising.  
There's no point in polling it, the public aren't educated enough to have a grasp of matters like that and tbh, neither are most politicians.

I don't know the size of the sample but I see a Panelbase poll for Sunday Times shows 51% of those polled are ready for another Independence referendum either during negotiations to leave EU or just after negotiations are over. This would seem to point to many people watching unfolding events and realising indy is a better option and it is happening without any concerted Yes campaign. 

It'll be interesting to see how the media deal with this. Suppose they could copy Jo Swinson and just blatantly lie, saying there's no mandate, but even they wouldn't be that stupid.

Just now, Tibbermoresaint said:

It's amazing how Project Fear never stands up to scrutiny.

Me: Is it just possible you might have missed the point in context?  maybe have another read.

tibbersdsfaonme:  YOU ARE AN INSULT TO SCOTLAND.  CRUMBLE UNIONIST TROLL.

9 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

I don't know the size of the sample but I see a Panelbase poll for Sunday Times shows 51% of those polled are ready for another Independence referendum either during negotiations to leave EU or just after negotiations are over. This would seem to point to many people watching unfolding events and realising indy is a better option and it is happening without any concerted Yes campaign. 

It'll be interesting to see how the media deal with this. Suppose they could copy Jo Swinson and just blatantly lie, saying there's no mandate, but even they wouldn't be that stupid.

They already do that, so it won't be any different to the norm.

8 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

So what do we need to do to be ready for independence?

I support independence and think we are ready.  My comment was about the country as a whole and by ready, in context meant, "willing/desiring to take the step".  

People can point to 51% wanting another poll.  A majority, yes.  That is a disappointing result to be even asked the question.  Never mind actually voting in favour.  This is during the biggest British crisis in decades.  And a majority still clings to it in non-binding polling.  That's not the signs of a new state.

My original comment was about what constitutional framework might get '97 level of support from cross party.  I understand it's pie in the sky at the moment, i was just throwing it out there.

Brexit has shown small majorities are possibly not the best for building new constitutions.  

Edited by tirso

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Wanting Indyref2 and wanting to vote Yes in it are two different things.

I'm not sure there will be many wanting indyref2 in order to vote No thanks, things are going swimmingly at the moment.

If we voted for independence there wouldn’t be a referendum to rejoin the UK because everyone who was on the fence/against independence would realise that it was actually a very good idea to get out of the union. We would never go back. The case for independence will never go away until we actually do it. It stays around because the UK clearly isn’t working for us.

If we voted for independence there wouldn’t be a referendum to rejoin the UK because everyone who was on the fence/against independence would realise that it was actually a very good idea to get out of the union. We would never go back. The case for independence will never go away until we actually do it. It stays around because the UK clearly isn’t working for us.

I’ve prepared a thorough list of all the countries who have asked to rejoin the United Kingdom since gaining Independence from it,
1) no one

...fact.
5.4million Scots are chomping at the bit for independence.  Fact!
or
Consistent polling shows its still a minority.

Yip, you're right.  Toddlers for Indy.

I wonder if the polls reflect the fact that many Scots believe more constitutional upheaval is the last thing we need. My feeling is that when Boris has his Brexit the polls will change. I could be wrong though. Just my sense!

I wonder if the polls reflect the fact that many Scots believe more constitutional upheaval is the last thing we need. My feeling is that when Boris has his Brexit the polls will change. I could be wrong though. Just my sense!
There is also the reality that any referendum campaign won't really get in to full swing until a date is fixed.

We saw last time round that part of the No vote was very soft - it's those soft No voters that will need to be the target - those that were not politically opposed but wary of change.