When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

We both know that they do.  Scottish voters confirmed this in 2014.

Really.....It was 6 years ago.....lots of auld nawbags are now deid.....and......since then:

......EU citizenship lost..... Scottish parliament ignored and trashed........right of Scots to determine their own future stripped.

You colonialists must be so proud to stand against democracy.

4 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

Really.....It was 6 years ago.....lots of auld nawbags are now deid.....and......since then:

......EU citizenship lost..... Scottish parliament ignored and trashed........right of Scots to determine their own future stripped.

You colonialists must be so proud to stand against democracy.

Pretty half-hearted, mate.  I know the Natterati are generally pretty dim but put in a wee bit more of an effort.

8 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Only true if by "You colonialists" you mean, "We colonialists" since, as I've posted to the point of pain, it's we Scots who made the colonies work.

This is true. Scotland has to acknowledge our major role in the Empire. (In fairness, I think we are starting too)

With regards to IndyRef2, I personally think there's issues we still need to address before having another referendum.

2 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

No......I am no that bothered aboot stuff from hunners of years ago really.

It's interesting from a historical perspective obviously.

But I am talking about the Scotland of today.

There is now no union or unionism. That implies a level of choice from those joining that union.

That choice has now been taken away. It's because the the bigger partner in union knows know fine well folk in Scotland would tell them tae gtf and would never choose union again.....if we ever get the choice again.

We are now a colony. It is now Colonialism and it's enablers are Colonialists.

Oh FFS! 

You still at this nonsense? 

Scotland voted to stay in the Union in 2014 and the majority of Scots have voted for Unionist parties at every election since. Scots are STILL choosing to be in the UK political union, even with the SNP and the Nationalists blatant attempts at deceit in regards to the countries actual economic dependence on London and the South East of England. 

2 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

The Malkbot returns!

Never is a long time. Why should  a desire for a referendunm be denied in a supposedly democratic society?

Are you seriously suggesting that a significant percentage of the Scottieh electorate don't want to consider rerunning the 2014 vote?

If so, Malky, can you provide some reasoning for this apparently anti-democratic view?

Around 40% of Scots would re-run the 2014 referendum every second week no matter the cost in the off chance that one day they might eventually get a fluke result - perhaps as a result of electoral fatigue on the part of the rest of us. However what the undemocratic Nationalists always fail to accept is that we've already voted democratically to stay in the United Kingdom in our "one in a generation" referendum and there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that there has been any shift in opinion at all. Indeed since 2015 the Conservative vote in Scotland has increased by over 60% whilst the SNP vote in Scotland is down nearly 15%  

Edited by Malky3

11 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

The Scotch.  Kicking their way to independence since 2014...

Wild. Kinc loves to revel whenever Celtic or us "diddies" get a comment in on the Sevco thread, lapping up the "attention", but absolutely loves to come on to the Indy thread and start making an absolute c**t of himself yet again. 

Go home bigot, you're drunk.

Yet, Gammonballs, we've had in this very subforum a thread proponing the idea of murdering people in order to further the cause of the Natterati.  You'll be familiar with the notion as your set of sorry fans also favour the bullet over the ballot box and, as I said earlier, The Scot Nats and the South Ireland Nats are moving much closer together to the shame of us all.
By way of contrast, the most militant I have been in my 16 years on P&B is vaunting one flower over another:

A Rangers "fan" peddling the idea that everyone attached to a certain movement is the same as the minority with extreme views.

Certainly a bold strategy.

It’s a slight worry to me if any swing towards independence is because people don’t like boris (I think there was an article a few pages back).

It strikes me that anyone who would vote yes because they don’t like the current PM could just as easily swing back to no with a healthy dose of project fear.

I just think independence has to be about more than an anti Tory sentiment and more about self determination, whatever that may be.

It’s a slight worry to me if any swing towards independence is because people don’t like boris (I think there was an article a few pages back).

It strikes me that anyone who would vote yes because they don’t like the current PM could just as easily swing back to no with a healthy dose of project fear.

I just think independence has to be about more than an anti Tory sentiment and more about self determination, whatever that may be.
I would genuinely make the argument that people will be free to self determine Scotland to a Tory wasteland post Indy if that's what they want. Have to eliminate the bullshit narrative that this is about the SNP or "Wee Burney/Nippy/Jimmy Krankie" or whatever other shit patter you hear.

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

It's just a reality of how the population is chunked up. About equal portions are come-what-may Scots/Britons, and then a bigger chunk are less wedded to either position. I have some English friends who voted no because they didn't want England to be a tory country forever, but now see that as an inevitability for long enough that they'd now vote yes. 5 years is quite a long time really, I think the longer people live in Scotland, the more they realise the SNP isn't motivated by anti-English sentiment and the less they see an independent Scotland as a bad thing.

I'm not really that persuaded it's a Boris Johnson thing as opposed to a Tory government thing, that sounds like a media invention to me.

I agree that is probably the reality but is it not a slight concern that the perception is that it's a left wing movement.

I know the majority on P&B favour a left wing government but ultimately to appeal to the whole electorate it needs to be sold to the centre ground as well?

Disclaimer: I am no expert, this is a very high level observation.

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It's much less about Boris and more about leaving the EU. On top of that, interviews such as the one given by Jack yesterday will swing floating voters who acknowledge the right to self determination rather than the right to independence itself. That won't happen among those who have already gone across to voting Conservative as they're the hard core that would happily go to hell in a handcart as long as the cart had a UJ on it. 

Those who have shifted are Europeans working here, young people now eligible to vote and a decent percentage of Labour voters who voted No in 2014 but now recognise that Labour maintaining the Ian Murray line is untenable. 

However, BJ is not going to accede to a S30 no matter how undemocratic that is. There will be much wailing about this but the Scottish Govt will need to deliver their back up plan. 

3 minutes ago, HTG said:

It's much less about Boris and more about leaving the EU. On top of that, interviews such as the one given by Jack yesterday will swing floating voters who acknowledge the right to self determination rather than the right to independence itself. That won't happen among those who have already gone across to voting Conservative as they're the hard core that would happily go to hell in a handcart as long as the cart had a UJ on it. 

Those who have shifted are Europeans working here, young people now eligible to vote and a decent percentage of Labour voters who voted No in 2014 but now recognise that Labour maintaining the Ian Murray line is untenable. 

However, BJ is not going to accede to a S30 no matter how undemocratic that is. There will be much wailing about this but the Scottish Govt will need to deliver their back up plan. 

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Inb4 H_B storms in to tell you the SNP are neoliberal shills

I'd characterise the SNP government as centre-left & I'd say the majority of the population of Scotland want that too. I'd totally agree the movement itself is much more left wing than the SNP. Part of the reason why I think the SNP should front the next campaign instead of using an arms length organisation of well meaning but insufficiently experienced people like they did in 2014.

Thank you, all fair points.

On section 30, I think BJ saying no is effectively part of the plan. The more the Tory clown tells Scotland they can't have their say, the more people will swing to Yes IMO and that's what the SNP are banking on.

I think it's still a bit too early, going by the polls, for a referendum just yet.