William Hill Scottish Cup 2015-16 - Big Thread

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the Amateurs they also have a nationwide draw from the Last 128 and (AFAIA) there is no financial support at all in that competition. Similar story in the Juniors although the away club is guaranteed a minimum of a couple of hundred £ from their share of the gate... in case their hosts have little or no fans... and SJFA provides a small travel grant for very long journeys.

So in comparison the Scottish Cup itself going all-in with half or 2/3 the entry - and clubs receiving thousands of £ every single round in prizemoney, fees and travel grants - should be (and indeed is) no problem.

There is also a question of fairness... All of the 'quality' Junior and Senior qualifiers are in the south (e.g. Auchinleck, Kelty, Linlithgow, Lothian Thistle). Only 3 of the 15 preliminary participants hailed from north of Fife. There will be 12 or 13 HL clubs in R2, but regionalising would've capped it at around 10 or 11. Indeed your R1 NE section would have featured 16 HL clubs, Banks o'Dee, and Stirling Uni, meaning at least 7 all-HL ties!!

Are early English rounds not regionalised though ?

The FA cup is regionalised in the preliminaries and up to 3rd qualifing round. In the 4th Qualifing round the Conference team enter. As that is a National league it is an open draw. The round after that is the 1st round proper.

My understanding is that in the latter qualifying rounds the FA Cup is only regionalised into 2 sections? So you could still be travelling half the length of England. Presumably the purpose is just to avoid Cornwall to Northumberland-type trips. Remember too that their replays are midweek, our aren't until R4.

It's a national cup, national being the keyword! Travelling is part and parcel of that. If teams are complaining about travel issues then they shouldn't be in the tournament.

I don't think the team are complaining - although obviously a short hop leaves you with more in the kitty. It's the odd miserable journalist or miserly fan.

On Saturday we travelled almost 480 miles on a round trip to Pitmedden to play Formartine. Apart from the result an absolutely brilliant day. The home fans were appreciative of our effort to get to the match and we were very warmly welcomed.

If we get an away draw to the Highlands / Aberdeenshire next year again, I would happily make the journey again. It is part of the magic of the cup.

Some of the best days I've had watching the Mo are the long away days in the cup against teams you wouldn't normally meet.

Ayr and Dalbettie are 2 that always stick in my mind that were fantastic days out, or Pollok, not so far but something different at a ground I would never normally go to. Has to be National. I don't like the regional League cup bit but I understand why it's done.

The SC 2nd and 3rd rounds (usually the 2nd tbh), are dates I try to keep clear of work.

Looking at who is in there are some great ties to be had, Fort William away would be a belter, but some of the other Highland League teams away would be good. I'd even take Brora away as I was told I had a good time last time there.

Just avoid someone in the same league and drawn away please.

Gogs Grog, on 30 Sept 2015 - 17:45, said:Gogs Grog, on 30 Sept 2015 - 17:45, said:Gogs Grog, on 30 Sept 2015 - 17:45, said:

Some of the best days I've had watching the Mo are the long away days in the cup against teams you wouldn't normally meet.

Ayr and Dalbettie are 2 that always stick in my mind that were fantastic days out, or Pollok, not so far but something different at a ground I would never normally go to. Has to be National. I don't like the regional League cup bit but I understand why it's done.

The SC 2nd and 3rd rounds (usually the 2nd tbh), are dates I try to keep clear of work.

Looking at who is in there are some great ties to be had, Fort William away would be a belter, but some of the other Highland League teams away would be good. I'd even take Brora away as I was told I had a good time last time there.

Just avoid someone in the same league and drawn away please.

We are probably destined to get Formartin£ away and lose 2-1 to a Garry Wood piledriver in the last minute IMO.

Would also love Fort William away though, good excuse for a long weekend (Nevis, Skippinish, etc).

Hope the HL teams stay in for a round or two.

I'd love a trip up to Locos - stay in Dyce so would be a handy little train ride up. Or Formartine, grew up in the Newmachar area and in laws stay in Pitmedden - would be surreal singing Geordie Munro walking through the village :lol:

Inverurie Loco Works v Edinburgh University

Nairn County v Whitehill Welfare / Wick Academy

Cumbernauld Colts v Auchinleck Talbot / BSC Glasgow

University of Stirling v Queen's Park

Turriff Utd v Fraserburgh

Edinburgh City v Buckie Thistle

Formartine Utd v Clyde

Elgin City v Spartans

East Kilbride v Forres Mechanics

Brora Rangers v Arbroath

Annan Athletic v Berwick Rangers

East Fife v Stirling Albion

Huntly v East Stirlingshire

Lothian Thistle HV v Montrose

Clachnacuddin v Linlithgow Rose

Fort WIlliam v Cove Rangers

Inverurie Loco Works v Edinburgh University

Nairn County v Whitehill Welfare / Wick Academy

Cumbernauld Colts v Auchinleck Talbot / BSC Glasgow

University of Stirling v Queen's Park

Turriff Utd v Fraserburgh

Edinburgh City v Buckie Thistle

Formartine Utd v Clyde

Elgin City v Spartans

East Kilbride v Forres Mechanics

Brora Rangers v Arbroath

Annan Athletic v Berwick Rangers

East Fife v Stirling Albion

Huntly v East Stirlingshire

Lothian Thistle HV v Montrose

Clachnacuddin v Linlithgow Rose

Fort WIlliam v Cove Rangers

That was quick! Tough tie for Clach methinks, but home advantage.

Archived