Annan Athletic v Queen of the South League Cup 1st round

It is a small number of the flares used at football that injure people. Usually when they have been thrown towards other people and not when they are held above the individual's head. Plus - it's that person's choice to hold it above their own head. Much less dangerous than lobbing cans at people. Also has a less disruptive affect on the game. And doesn't smell like piss.

Not sure how lobbing cans would contribute to the atmosphere. Pyrotechnics clearly do. They are exhilarating and heighten the atmosphere of two teams (and supporters) competing against each other.

How many concrete terraces have you seen burnt down by flares?

Isnt there some kind of casuals/ultras forum you could be on?

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's against the law to bring flares and smoke bombs to football matches whether you like it or not.

What happens if we get chucked out the competition because some arsehole added to the atmosphere?

Sorry, that comment was directed at you. Ive no problem at all with anyone expressing an opinion on here. I do, though, have an issue with "fans" who do nothing but criticise players throughout the game. At one point, some women behind me said "Oh no, Kidds got the ball" as he broke into the opposition box and nearly set up a goal.

No worries. Can`t abide the mindless criticism either.

Very fortunate to get through that game, Annan had a very simple game plan to get the ball forward at every opportunity and to their credit it worked. Direct teams are a test of concentration more than anything else and for 15 minutes in the second half we lost our composure and gave away 3 goals. I felt we went to Annan's level and resorted to long balls, bypassing the midfield against a very physical team when we could have have kept it down and fizzed it around on a lively pitch against part time players. Going forward there was a lack of pace and quick decision making until the end when Mark Millar decided to take the game by the scruff of the neck. When the Annan Keeper made a point blank save from Hilson and Conroy's beauty of a freekick bounced along the line I didn't think it was going to be our day but what a goal. Losing to them is unthinkable and I felt incredibly dirty celebrating a late equaliser against a league 2 team.

I thought Queens second goal might have been offside but there can be no complaints about the 2 reds, Black was two cynical fouls and on a yellow should have known better. The second was late, from behind, Two footed and reckless (Apart from that it was a great tackle), Weatherson and Osaldor were terrific and should be a major asset for Annan this season.

We may be worse in just about every area apart from quality goals which is some comfort I guess. Unfortunately due to being short and on a terrace I missed Conroys goal as thumping volleys (á la Arjen Robben vs Man United a few years back) are my favourite.

A lot to take from this game from next week, I was disapointed with Kidd (I thought he turned the corner towards the end of last season), Jacobs and Thomson were disapointing whilst Marshall makes up for being a bombscare at the back by being attacking. The squad still has time to gel but there is a lot to do.

It's against the law to bring flares and smoke bombs to football matches whether you like it or not.

What happens if we get chucked out the competition because some arsehole added to the atmosphere?

No idea. That would be unprecedented.

Either way, it is cowardly to turn on an individual as a group out of fear that his way of supporting would be met unjustly. Your issue is with the SPFL.

Either way, it is cowardly to turn on an individual as a group out of fear that his way of supporting would be met unjustly. Your issue is with the SPFL.

I don't have an issue with the SPFL.

I don't have an issue with the SPFL.

Well you should. They - and, today, all the people who rallied against the lad with the flare - are agents of creeping deprivation of lower income communities of culture and expression. Away join the Tories if you like safe, expensive cup derbies.

According to Wikipedia, this is what I am talking about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recuperation_(politics).

Well you should. They - and, today, all the people who rallied against the lad with the flare - are agents of creeping deprivation of lower income communities of culture and expression. Away join the Tories if you like safe, expensive cup derbies.

According to Wikipedia, this is what I am talking about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recuperation_(politics).

Your name is Margaret Thatcher m8

They clowns with the flares aren't interested in football i witnessed them first hand today bragging about sneaking this bloody flare thing in to the ground and believe me this person was not interested in football or supporting Queen of the South. Get rid of this scum, worst of it he was braging to a lad that looked about 10year old bad show.

It absolutely isn't. We had to deal with these morons for a large part of last season. They know flares and 'bangers' aren't allowed into the ground so any abuse directed toward them is warranted IMO. It won't be long until the club start getting fines. Maybe sections of the QoS support dealing with it internally will stop these fuds as warnings from the board certainly haven't worked. I hear there were a couple lifted as soon as they got off the train today as they let off a banger: f£ckwits. If you don't see any harm in flares then you've clearly not been in the vicinity of one when it's been let off.

That was absolutely appalling today. I didn't think we were ever in control of the game when it was 11 vs 11. Annan were by far the better team in the first half and should have went in ahead if not for an unlucky miss and a great last ditch block by Marshall. I think if the Annan number 10 had went down just before his shot he may well have gotten the penalty; especially with that ref in charge. I thought Conroy was anonymous up until his goal of the season. An absolute belter that would be raved about for months if Rooney or Hazard had produced it.

The second half wasn't much better from us. We had a wee spell where I thought we were starting to get a grip of things and then Annan went and scored :lol: The equaliser was against the run of play but thoroughly deserved overall. When Annan went 3-2 I would have genuinely lumped money on them winning 4-2. I thought only one team looked like winning: thankfully Hilson had different ideas. He was probably one of the few who got pass marks from me today. Looked interested throughout.

If Annan had kept 11 men on the park, the outcome could well have been different. Thankfully for us Black made our job a lot easier when he got himself stupidly sent off. I can't believe there is anyone who seriously thinks he didn't deserve to walk. The same goes for the moron who went in late on Miller; as clear a red as you'll see. The Annan gk made a couple of really good saves and looks a good signing. I was impressed with Annan today and think they will have a real shot at promotion this year. They're fans are the most boring in Scottish football though :lol:

The only positives from today was scoring 4 goals, Smith looking impressive and us progressing. Still a lot of work to be done and I really hope an attacking midfielder or striker is brought in.

I suspect dear Maggie might be at the wind up.

Definitely or he's just a moron. My guess is he is a MacTwatt alias though as no one is responding to his shite attempts at fishing. His Thatcher is having a bit more luck though so no need to bring out Scottishputz :lol:

I suspect dear Maggie might be at the wind up.

I'm not

If you don't see any harm in flares then you've clearly not been in the vicinity of one when it's been let off.

I have. I was in the vicinity of loads watching Besiktas while on holiday in Turkey in 2009. And I haven't said I don't see any harm, just that the santisation of football should be anathema to anyone whose love of the game is more than a decade old.

Definitely or he's just a moron. My guess is he is a MacTwatt alias though as no one is responding to his shite attempts at fishing. His Thatcher is having a bit more luck though so no need to bring out Scottishputz :lol:

I'm not. I have never seen them discuss political theory for example. I may be a moron, it's hard to tell, but disagreeing with you doesn't make me one.

Lots of our fans including me think we need 1 more striker. Osadolor for 10 grand could be our man. From what I seen today he had everything. Smith when he came on was so lively, a breath of fresh air which we so badly needed. Hilson was immense today, lively throughout and by far our best player on the day. Hooper did a great job aswell when introduced. Pickard though has yet to show anything that makes him worthy of a 1st team place yet though. Kidd was pure and utter pish again. Jacobs done sod all in midfield tbh ecept give the ball away cheaply. Marshall was pretty decent again making several important blocks. Jimbo Atkinson has to start next week. Waited patiently for years and deserves his chance. As far as Im concerned Thomson has to earn his place back after a naff display. Oh and what a goal by Conroy. Also could we have the best free kick taker in the world? Have yet to see him hit a bad one

Lots of our fans including me think we need 1 more striker. Osadolor for 10 grand could be our man. From what I seen today he had everything. Smith when he came on was so lively, a breath of fresh air which we so badly needed. Hilson was immense today, lively throughout and by far our best player on the day. Hooper did a great job aswell when introduced. Pickard though has yet to show anything that makes him worthy of a 1st team place yet though. Kidd was pure and utter pish again. Jacobs done sod all in midfield tbh ecept give the ball away cheaply. Marshall was pretty decent again making several important blocks. Jimbo Atkinson has to start next week. Waited patiently for years and deserves his chance. As far as Im concerned Thomson has to earn his place back after a naff display. Oh and what a goal by Conroy. Also could we have the best free kick taker in the world? Have yet to see him hit a bad one

Agree with every thing you have said. Very dece post.

Archived