Annan Athletic v Queen of the South League Cup 1st round

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't nearby, but I must admit that I saw it in much the same way as the Annan fan. It was one of those where I'm not sure if the Annan player could have got out of the way if he'd wanted to.I'll be interested to see the highlights for this and a few other incidents.

Every incident like that results in a free kick and more often than not a yellow card

Jacobs hit the shot that hit the bar, came down on the line then back out. Personally I thought iy could have been over but I wasnt in line and neither was the assistant. Not sure if Lyle's follow up initially went over the line either or was only dragged there by the keeper AFTER he saved it. Pretty sure it finished over the line though.

I thought it was Pickard who had the initial shot

Some observations on my first visit to Annan with Queens (although I think I played there in my distant past...).

Firstly, can I make the obvious point that if you're 5' 5" like myself and you don't get to the front, you simply can't see, or have a restricted view. I stood at the side at the Queens end and about a quarter of the pitch was out of view. And those around me were in the same position. I would know to go early next time, and I'm not sure what Annan can do about it apart from building up the terraces a bit.

Secondly, I was disappointed in the behaviour of a small minority of the Queens fans (the younger element) who were shouting and chanting on the way to the ground, but in a drunken offensive manner and not in boisterous good spirits. I arrived latish (had to drop wife and in-laws off to go shopping...), and had to negotiate my way past two lots of noisy fans. Shouting "We f---ing hate England" was just so wrong on so many levels. The said wife and in-laws spent the afternoon in the shops and cafes and had asked the locals if they were looking forward to the Queens fans visit, only to be advised the fans were being marched to and from the buses and station "to avoid trouble". It just feels like a shame that is how we are viewed, especially when the vast, and I mean vast, majority of our fans are great ambassadors for the club.

To the game itself, it was certainly eventful and I look forward to catching all the bits I missed on QOS TV. I wouldn't read too much into these early season games, there were positives and negatives to take from the game. Credit to Annan, the gulf in class between the two teams was conspicuous by its absence! It was just a rollicking local derby and you just couldn't work out what was going to happen next. When our late equaliser went in, I was confident we would prevail in extra time, although Annan pressing the self-destruct button didn't help their cause. Although I should confess I was confident before the start of the game as well.....

I thought we played better after our subs came on, Hooper and Smith in particular, although Pickard was OK.

A fascinating afternoon.

I thought it was the Lyle follow up header that was the goal.Are you saying the shot that came down from the bar was given as the goal? Who had the shot?

Don't even think the whole of the ball crossed the line tbh, I was right behind the goal & wasn't sure so don't know how the Lino saw it but hey ho that's fitba.

I can't add much to what has been said because that is easily the worst view I have ever had at a football match. After trying about four different spots I settled for one where I could see roughly 60% of the action. I know several that just left because they couldn't see a thing. Very frustrating.

Hooper has to start next week. I like Kidd but he isn't a full back. As I said last week though he isn't helped by having Conroy played in front of him who isn't a natural wide man either. Trying to play Jacobs, Millar and Conroy in a midfield four reminds me of the unsuccessful attempts made to try and shoehorn Scally, Macfarlane and Tosh into the same midfield. Perhaps we are waiting on Brownlie becoming available, but I'm pretty surprised we aren't playing the 3-5-2 system that worked so well last season. It would fit the personnel we have available perfectly, and solve a lot of the issues that I have seen in the first two games.

I can only echo the comments about Osadolor, tremendous performance from him. His in-your-face style gave our defence a very uncomfortable afternoon.

the red card was in extra time. Annan never made any substitutions. Queens brought on 2 substitutes both at the same time.

I make that only one restart.

Still a mystery

So you don't restart play after a goal ? Just play out from the back now do we ?

Guest Flash

Re QOSQOS's restricted viewing, I can scarcely believe that Galabank's capacity is 2,500.

If Annan can accommodate two and a half thou, Palmerston's capacity should be at least 12,500.

Palmerston could accommodate 12,500 quite easily.

All that has changed pretty much since the 70s is replacing the coo shed with the East Stand and doing away with a small part of terracing at the Terregles St end of the old stand, plus a bit of the stand enclosure. That wouldn't have reduced the capacity by all that much, if anything.

The 19,000 at the Rangers game was probably pushing it. But the 14,000 at the Hearts game wasn't. So 12,500 would probably be ok.

Don't even think the whole of the ball crossed the line tbh, I was right behind the goal & wasn't sure so don't know how the Lino saw it but hey ho that's fitba.

It pains me to say it, but it was a definite goal. The ball crossed the line before Jordan managed to claw it back over. The photographer at the corner captured it and showed us.

Archived